C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no fob detected

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
kenmichael
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no fob detected

my c6 will start sometimes and will not start another it reads no fobs detected we took to dealer replaced battery . we still have the same problem will turn over wont engage the engine. will set a few days and later seems to reset its self. please help.
2006 I REPLACED FOB BATTERIES AND DEALER REPLACED CAR BATTERY. NO GPS NO CORDS IN CAR. RESET BOTH FOBS. OUR HOUSE IS ON SEVERAL ACRES NO CLOSE HOUSES. THANKS KEN

Last edited by kenmichael; 08-15-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more information
Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Ken your profile doesn't include any information about your car (which helps us a bunch when trying to solve problems.)

What year is your car?

The age of the fob batteries, the age of the car battery, electronic devices such as GPS units and cords, cell phones and cell phone chargers as well as mp3 players in the car can contribute to RF interference which will prevent the signal from the fob getting to the antenna in the car.

Further, high tension wires and radio interference in your garage or neighborhood can also contribute to signal problems.

Sometimes it can be as simple as carrying your fob in a pocket opposite your cell phone will do the trick.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Same kind of problem with my 06 coupe lately. Started about a month ago. No electronics added in the vicinity.

I had changed the battery in both fobs about a month before that. Had the fobs checked at the dealership.

The problem for me is sporadic. Most of the time, it happens after the car has not been driven for 2-3 days.

This last time, with the fob in my right front pocket with nothing else but some loose change, as usual:
1. Could not open the door. Took the fob out of my right front pocket and held it near the car. Had to press the unlock button on the fob before I could open the door.
2. After I got in the car (A6) and tried to start it while holding the fob, with the car in PARK and one foot firmly on the brake, got the "No fobs detected" message.
3. Put the fob in the slot in the glove box with the buttons pointed toward the passenger side of the car and tried starting it. Still got the "No fobs detected" message.
4. Moving the fob back near the start button, accidentally dropped it on the floor.
5. Picked up the fob and tried it again, Still got the message.
6. Opened the door to get out. Stopped. Thought about it. Stayed in the car and shut the door.
7. Tried one more time. This time the car started.

Drove the car 2 more times Friday - no problem.

Drove the car 75 miles to my mother's house and back again - no problem.

Only nearby electronics was my cell phone on the left side of my belt. Car still has the original battery, but car gets driven 150 miles every weekend.

I've got an appointment at the dealership this coming Tuesday to check it out. Think it's time for a new car battery?

Last edited by Vette_DD; 08-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
kenmichael
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the info . we have a new battery installed by dealer three days ago same problem. We will go back to dealer when vet resets itself. Please let us know what you find . My little granddaughter said she would rather have a horse.

thanks Ken
Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kenmichael
my c6 will start sometimes and will not start another it reads no fobs detected we took to dealer replaced battery . we still have the same problem will turn over wont engage the engine. will set a few days and later seems to reset its self. please help.
2006 I REPLACED FOB BATTERIES AND DEALER REPLACED CAR BATTERY. NO GPS NO CORDS IN CAR. RESET BOTH FOBS. OUR HOUSE IS ON SEVERAL ACRES NO CLOSE HOUSES. THANKS KEN
FOB often has trouble if placed next to cell phone in pocket or on console, untill I separate the two, might is not recognized
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

On my '08, get the message sporatically. However, moving my FOB to another pocket or simply adjusting in the seat seems to rectify my issue. Early on there was a discussion on how the antenna for the system had some dead spots (near drivers side door, center of hatch, etc) and that appears to be impacting me.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

This has happened to me on our 09 when the fob is in my right front pants pocket and drops down low next to tunnel. I move fob back up on top of my leg and seem to have to open and close door and it all works then: car starts. So now if "no fob detected" I move fob and open / close the driver door and car starts ok.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
kenmichael
Heel & Toe

Thank's for all the replys I will try some of the different suggestions hoping one of these will solve my problem. Thank's Ken
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My local Chevy dealer kept my car nearly all day today running tests on the computer systems. Final conclusion was that the car battery needed to be replaced. Car is a DD 06 coupe with 34K miles on it. No extra electronic devices on it.

Dealer replaced it for no charge. No charge for all the testing. It pays to have a great dealer.

Hope this solves the sporadic problems with the door being difficult to unlock and no fobs detected (once) and several times the fob button could not unlock the hatch.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 AM
kenmichael
Heel & Toe

Thank' for the reply on your problem hope that takes care of the problem for you. The dealer put a new battery in mine did OK for 1 day then stared having the same problem. The car will start sometimes then other times it just turns over and won't start. Then if you open and close the passenger door it resets something {probaly alarm} then the car will start. Thank's Ken
Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been having the same problems with my '09 A6. I have changed the fob batteries twice. Started happening when the car was about 9 mo old. Drives me absolutely crazy. Doesn't matter whether I have a cell phone on me or not. I can hold the fob right next to the door, once in the car, right next to the starter, nothing. Has always started when I put the fob in the glove box compartment, thankfully.

I can go 10 to 15 days with no problem, then no dice. I am really reluctant to have my wife take the car by herself as she would panic if this happened to her. Unbelievable that a $73M car could be so unreliable.

Anyone know if there has been any bulletins on this issue?

By the way, if I go through all the motions: key to open trunk, release the door, fob in glove box slot, the car has always started. The car is only 15 mo old so I don't think it is the car battery. Plus all electronics never have given me a clue that it could be a defective battery. It also appears that many others are going through the same problems.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
I have been having the same problems with my '09 A6. I have changed the fob batteries twice. Started happening when the car was about 9 mo old. Drives me absolutely crazy. Doesn't matter whether I have a cell phone on me or not. I can hold the fob right next to the door, once in the car, right next to the starter, nothing. Has always started when I put the fob in the glove box compartment, thankfully.

I can go 10 to 15 days with no problem, then no dice. I am really reluctant to have my wife take the car by herself as she would panic if this happened to her. Unbelievable that a $73M car could be so unreliable.

Anyone know if there has been any bulletins on this issue?

By the way, if I go through all the motions: key to open trunk, release the door, fob in glove box slot, the car has always started. The car is only 15 mo old so I don't think it is the car battery. Plus all electronics never have given me a clue that it could be a defective battery. It also appears that many others are going through the same problems.
Hello,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. It appears that your vehicle should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty. I would suggest contacting your local dealership and have the vehicle looked at. If you need help locating a dealer or setting an appointment, please let me know. I will be happy to help.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I have an issue with FOB its because of my phone. Fob must be in right pants pocket and phone in left. Other way round and I sometimes have issues. Both in same pocket = issues. Phone in the cup holder does not interfere. Whatch that phone!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an early '05 and the FOB system has been.........problematic.

It is on the second module (buried in the dash behind the NAV unit) and the third #1 FOB. I have sporadically had all the symptons noted above including having to move the FOB up on top of my leg when in my pocket.

The latest go around was on Sunday night, and I got the car back from the dealer last night. When I stopped at a service centre on the highway I got the dreaded "No FOB detected, stop or run?" message. I turned the car off figuring it was a FOB battery issue (I carry SEVERAL spares with me in various locations). So when I got back to the car (after going into the service centre) I was actually able to unlock the car with the FOB (unlock button), but there was still "No FOB Detected" on the DIC, and unlock or lock on the FOB no longer worked.

I changed the FOB battery still absolutely no joy. I got the car started by putting the FOB in the slot in the glove box (thank God that worked).

Drove it home, parked it and made sure the key for the hatch worked. It did.

The next morning I opened the hatch with the key, which set off the car alarm. It eventualy stopped as it took me some time to get the drivers door open, and get in the car. Then when I put the FOB in the glove box slot the alarm went off again, but the car started. Whew. It went straight to the dealer.

They again changed the battery in the FOB, but that did not work. The FOB was dead so two new FOBs (another story as to why I did not have the #2 FOB clsoe by) and the re-programming for the new FOBs and everything is working again. Hopefully that's it, but..........

In talking with a parts guy at the dealership, he was telling me that they have been having problems with the FOBs as in they are not well built. He said the battery holder is connected to the circuit board by three tiny solder joints and these are breaking.........with obvious results.

I could not verify this with my FOB as the dealership destroyed it (to avoid any potential theft issues). Maybe NEXT time I can dig into this in more detail. If true, the FOB should be repairable.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by johan gouws
Every time I have an issue with FOB its because of my phone. Fob must be in right pants pocket and phone in left. Other way round and I sometimes have issues. Both in same pocket = issues. Phone in the cup holder does not interfere. Whatch that phone!
I've never had the "no FOB detected" problem and I keep my cell phone in my right pocket and my FOB in my left pocket.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you dont have a boatload of electronic gadgetry near where you are keeping your FOB. I got this same prompt when a buddy of mine was riding shotgun, he had all kinds of stuff with him. I thought my FOB was dead so I changed battery, still did it until we figured it out.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

TRANSMITTER IS GOING BAD ! it picks up the signal from the key fob. i had my car @ the dealer 3 times before i searched this forum and discovered the solution here. i took my 05 to the dealer and told them and then BINGO ! PROBLEM FIXED ! have the dealer check your transmitter. $600.00 job .

Get notified of new replies

To no fob detected

Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MARVIN 34
TRANSMITTER IS GOING BAD ! it picks up the signal from the key fob. i had my car @ the dealer 3 times before i searched this forum and discovered the solution here. i took my 05 to the dealer and told them and then BINGO ! PROBLEM FIXED ! have the dealer check your transmitter. $600.00 job .
The dealer checked mine before deciding it was the car battery.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 AM
wxman2003
Advanced

When I bought my 05 earlier this spring, FOB #2 would not work and the dealer ordered me a replacement. In the meantime, I brought the car home and decided to try and figure it out. So I opened both fobs. The battery is inside a metal clip. I noticed on fob 2 that the clip was rotated by about 90 degrees from the way it was set up in fob 1. So I took the clip, rotated it so in matched exactly the way fob 1 was set. I put the cover back on, and lo and behold, the fob worked. The previous owner must have tried to replace the battery, and did not re seat the clip correctly. If you replaced the battery, make sure that clip is seated correctly.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I've never had the "no FOB detected" problem and I keep my cell phone in my right pocket and my FOB in my left pocket.
From the posts it appears to be more than a phone issue. Do you have a iphone or a different kind?

Quick Reply: no fob detected