C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inter Dealer car transfers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Inter Dealer car transfers

I'm looking for a 2010 Grand Sport with particular options, none of which are located on local Chevy dealer inventories.

Local dealer (internet sales) are willing to sell with the options I want but of course the vehicle would be transferred from another dealer, possibly from out of state.

Am I disadvantaged in negotiating pricing? Does the transferring dealer get a kick back from the selling dealer, thus my potential for a good discount is reduced?

What have you folks experienced with this technique?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I think what they do is trade cars, they give them one of the ones they have on hand for the car you want + or - the difference, it doesn't have to be a corvette it could be something they want.

What you have to tell them right up front you do not want the car driven to you, bought a honda like that and the clutch was chattering for a month because some jerk thought he knew how to drive a stick, and I got a new car with a 150 miles on it that I didn't have the joy of putting on.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM
JBH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new Avalanche 2 months ago that the dealer transferred in for me. As far as the price of the vehicle, I built exactly what I wanted online and took it to them, we negotiated a price and then they started looking for it. They found what I wanted and it didn't cost me anymore other than I paid them $200 to have them send a retired guy 200 miles to pick it up and bring it back. The way I understood it worked was, the dealership that had it didn't charge them for it, they just looked at my dealers inventory and saw what they wanted and swapped. He told me they swapped a Tahoe for it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a 2010 for around invoice price minus a number of discounts (GM incentive, USAA, etc) a few months ago. There was not a lot of profit in this sale. The dealer who had my car was 650 miles away from my local dealer. The price my local (selling) dealer wanted for the car was the same price the remote dealer wanted. However, this did not include transportation from one dealer to another. I was told this would be free for a dealer that was close, but not for one far away.

My choices were:

Fly to the remote dealer, buy from him and drive home.

Have the local dealer send a driver for the car and have him drive my new car 650 miles........ cost $350 extra.

Have an enclosed car hauler deliver my new car.......... cost $850 extra.

I chose the $850 option. This saved me the cost of three nights in a motel, 9 meals, a one way airline ticket and the hassle of dealing with my local DMV, since my local dealer registered the car for me.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dealer transfers

O.K. Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. Other's experiences. I'm going to be doing some negotiating tomorrow.

One of these vehicles is within two hours of my house, so that's not an issue. The other vehicle is in another state and I'd be willing to ship it. I did that with my wifes vehicle, enclosed car carrier from Fla to VA. Very nice delivery! Certainly don't want the miles piled on by someone driving it.

Wish me luck. This will eventually be my first Vette.

Last edited by turbod; 08-16-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Inter Dealer car transfers

Quick Reply: Inter Dealer car transfers