C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Differential noise & half-shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear Differential noise & half-shaft play

On my 2005 base unit (29 k miles), I've got the age old rear differential noise. I've had the gears checked and there is no sign of wear. Fluid's been replaced, no change in noise.

This weekend, I had my local mechanic check it out all over again. He noticed that I had absolutely no play in either of my hlaf-shafts. He thought I should have some. He thinks (possibly) the lack of play is constantly putting the gears in a bind, causing the gear chatter.

Should there be any play in the half shafts?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWerner
On my 2005 base unit (29 k miles), I've got the age old rear differential noise. I've had the gears checked and there is no sign of wear. Fluid's been replaced, no change in noise.

This weekend, I had my local mechanic check it out all over again. He noticed that I had absolutely no play in either of my hlaf-shafts. He thought I should have some. He thinks (possibly) the lack of play is constantly putting the gears in a bind, causing the gear chatter.

Should there be any play in the half shafts?
SEE: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-in-06-a6.html
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Curtis,

I think my issue is different than yours. I have the typical rear end gear chatter/growl while backing up in slow speeds. You stated your issue was between 40 - 55 mph. Not so with me. Once I get rolling, the noise is gone. If I go around a corner at slow speeds (< 15 mph), I start to hear the drivetrain noise again. If I engage the clutch, the drivetrain noise goes away. This tells me that when the drivetrain is engaged at slow speeds, there is some form of binding/chatterning noises. When you releave the pressure on the drivetrain, it goes away.

So, should the half-shafts have some end to end play in them? Mine have none at all.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

No opinions??????
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 AM
srtrich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get the same noise in my DD 05 with a little over 40,000 miles. dealer tells me its nothing and i have looked at the stuff my self also. if anything breaks ill find out what it finally was.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Differential noise & half-shaft play

Quick Reply: Rear Differential noise & half-shaft play