C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone Ovals....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 AM
jt500lp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Ovals....

I just got them put on today and just like most of the other post say I am liking them too. They are way smoother. But of course they are because they are new tires. On my way home today when I got on the interstate I cruised up to 120mph and there was zero shaking. Completely smooth. I got my car when it had 10,000 miles and from what I remember the tread then wasnt that deep. It seems like the tread on these tires are way deeper. So maybe they'll last a long time. My OEM tires lasted till about 27,000 miles and I might could've made them last longer but they were rough riding and the insides of the fronts were wore down really bad. So yeah I am liking these new Firestones.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,280 Likes on 938 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Is there more than 1 version of the Firestone Wide Oval? I put one on my car about a year ago. When I measured the tread on the new tire, it averaged 9.67/32 for the 9 measurements I made. OEM GoodYears were 10/32" for the rear tires.

However, the one thing about that tire that I did not know before purchase and don't like is that Firestone says not to repair them if you get a puncture. That's why I was asking if there's more than one version of them.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 AM
jt500lp
Advanced

I don't know if there is more than one version. But maybe the tread thing is all in my head. The fact that the tire can't be repaired is kiinda lame but oh well. For the money it's not a bad buy. Plus if you buy the road hazard insurance that helps out too. I am hoping they'll last longer than 30,000 miles but we'll see.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 812 Posts

Good buy and just about any tire is better than the OEMs
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the WO runflats about 18 months ago. Had an alignment yesterday and the tires measured 10/32 on both edges on all four corners, good wear I think since I've put about 10K miles on since installation. I do think they have developed a little more whine over time but still much nicer than the Goodyears they replaced.

Originally Posted by peter pan
Good buy and just about any tire is better than the OEMs
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I replaced the Goodyear Supercars with non run flat Firestone Indy 500 tires, and it was like going from night to day. The Supercars were noisy, ran rough, and not good in rain at all. The Firestones are quiet, good traction on dry, and super on rain soaked and ruts filled with rain. At 50 mph with the Supercars, hydroplaning was dangerous. At 60 mph on the Firestones, straight as an arrow with no hydroplaning.
I have 5000 clicks on the Firestones, and I'm very impressed with the wear and the ride.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks

They make 2 versions. The newer one is called Wide Oval Firehawk INdy 500.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

They make a runflat and a non-runflat version. I always wondered where the "wide oval" name came from as tires are round, not oval.

The Indy 500 is the non-runflat version. The runflat is only made in base C6 sizes.

Last edited by cclive; 08-27-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,244 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
They make a runflat and a non-runflat version. I always wondered where the "wide oval" name came from as tires are round, not oval.

The Indy 500 is the non-runflat version. The runflat is only made in base C6 sizes.
The tread profile is oval not round....

Last edited by hawkgfr; 08-27-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Congrats on the new Wide Ovals. If you haven't already done so, now is the time to get your front end re-aligned with less aggressive camber settings. The factory spec is -0.45 degrees, which is the cause of the excessive wear on the inside corners of your front tires. Unless you regularly track your car on road racing courses, you should ask the alignment technician to reset the camber to a milder -0.10 degrees. This will plant the tread almost perfectly flat on the road surface when driving straight ahead, which is what you do 99% of the time. If you got 27,000 out of your GYs, you might get 36,000 out of the Firestones with milder camber settings.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

I have the Firestone WideOval Indy 500's (non-RFT) as well. I had the WideOval RFTs before when i bought the car used and wanted to drop a bit of tire weight as well as see how non-run flats were.

I have taken both to the track on an HPDE weekend and they both hold up alright. It really wasn't a fair comparison as it was 105* here in Texas on new non-RFTs versus my nearly slicks WO Runflats. I do feel more flex in the sidewall if you wiggle going about 75. That is expected of course in a non-run flat. The traction is great in the rain so far no hydroplaining at all.

I will say i don't know about these tires on a dig. Any time the tires are talking they don't have the most traction.
My car is nearly stock C6 Z51 and i can get a 3rd gear scratch which I know isn't right. So they are a good daily driver tire, but I will probably try the Hankook V12s if i stick with street tires that I am going to take to the track.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Congrats on the new Wide Ovals. If you haven't already done so, now is the time to get your front end re-aligned with less aggressive camber settings. The factory spec is -0.45 degrees, which is the cause of the excessive wear on the inside corners of your front tires. Unless you regularly track your car on road racing courses, you should ask the alignment technician to reset the camber to a milder -0.10 degrees. This will plant the tread almost perfectly flat on the road surface when driving straight ahead, which is what you do 99% of the time. If you got 27,000 out of your GYs, you might get 36,000 out of the Firestones with milder camber settings.
Sorry, but that is completely untrue. The -0.45 degrees is the nominal value, and absolutely will not cause excessive wear on the inside edges. How do I know? I use an independent shop that will set the the alignment where I want, and not just tell me it is within spec. I had them set my F1 supercar tires as close to nominal as they could (-0.45) shortly after getting the car. I now have 15K miles on the tires with no indication of excessive wear anywhere on the tire.

If you want to blame the specs., then look at the wide tolerances that are allowed to be called within spec. -1.05 degrees of camber would be considered OK at a GM dealership. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I would guess -1.05 could be problematical for the casual driver.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jt500lp
I don't know if there is more than one version. But maybe the tread thing is all in my head. The fact that the tire can't be repaired is kiinda lame but oh well. For the money it's not a bad buy. Plus if you buy the road hazard insurance that helps out too. I am hoping they'll last longer than 30,000 miles but we'll see.
They do seem to be a lot better than the OEM tires but you are also replacing worn OEM tires with a brand new one. My OEM tires were great until about 10k then the howling started.

The do not repair on the sidewall is a major concern for me since road hazard warranties are usually prorated which means you will be paying something if a nail gets stuck in your tires.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I have had the FS WO's on for about 5k miles and still like the ride and reduced noise. I do miss the GY "stickiness" as the FS's seem to break loose easier in high G turns. May just be the harder compound but I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the GY's until I took them off.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
August05
Advanced

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
They do seem to be a lot better than the OEM tires but you are also replacing worn OEM tires with a brand new one. My OEM tires were great until about 10k then the howling started.

The do not repair on the sidewall is a major concern for me since road hazard warranties are usually prorated which means you will be paying something if a nail gets stuck in your tires.
The “DO NOT REPAIR” is a worry but some places will. I had a sheet metal screw in a rear tire, so it was a slow leak, I never drove it flat, so there was no sidewall damage. After it sat for 2 days it was zero pressure, I just pumped it to 34# and drove to work and back one day- it was 28# cold/30# warm when I got home after 100 miles/12 hours (I keep a cheap air pump in the car in case).
The patch/plug has been working for 6 weeks and 2K miles – so you can repair them if they don’t get driven with low pressure.

I’ve had the WideOval RFT for over a year, about 14K miles and I’m happy. The OE supercars had better grip and turn in, but felt dead, no feedback on traction limit until it was gone. WideOvals are better in the wet.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 AM
HKILP7M8
Pro

I've had the FS's on for quite some time now, they are pretty good and seem to last a lot longer than the OE tires but like dpigguy said they do break loose easier going fast on turns and one thing that I notice which is opposite of what most on here say, in the rain for me even at jut 40 to 50 mph I'm all over the place, maybe I need to get them rebalanced or something but they scare me a bit in the rain, I never had that problem with the OE, I may go back to OE next time.

Get notified of new replies

To Firestone Ovals....

Quick Reply: Firestone Ovals....