C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM
2006C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had a flat tire

Morning, so I had a nail stuck in my tire and took it to a reputable GM dealership here and guess what...they scratched the rim. At first they wouldnt admit to it but when i pointed it out to them and started talking to the managers they admitted it. Since they are black the manager tells me they will touch them up... I freaked out and told them you cant just touch em up.... *&#% I am getting really sick and tired of GMs service, love the car but with all my crappy experiences with the service part of owning this car its getting really close to just packing it in.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Time to find another dealership ?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM
2006C6
Racer

Ive tried 3 that we have here closeby....What happened to just good old customer service. I like to think that when I go to work I try to do the best job I can for my customers for the full 7 hours I am there. I am always worried about finding new stuff wrong with my car when I take it in to dealerships. It shouldnt be like that.

Last edited by 2006C6; 08-30-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Painted wheels seem to be real delicate, even with the good machines wheels seemed to get damaged. My friends father just had his new tires mounted on his comp gray wheels and I surprised I only found 1 tiny scratch. How bad is yours? Did it scratch in multiple spots?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why go to a GM dealership for a flat? You need to go to a major tire store that is changing tires all day long. Particularly when you have the time to pick and chose. I have sought out stores with Hunter machines as they seem to handle wide wheels well.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM
2006C6
Racer

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Painted wheels seem to be real delicate, even with the good machines wheels seemed to get damaged. My friends father just had his new tires mounted on his comp gray wheels and I surprised I only found 1 tiny scratch. How bad is yours? Did it scratch in multiple spots?
Hello, multiple spots. I am waiting for the managers reply to an email i just sent.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 837 Likes on 596 Posts

My dealership has a FANTASTIC Corvette Tech!!!!

However, when the wheel comes off the car it goes over to the tire guy in the dealership, and all he normally works on are wheels/tires off Cobalts, Malibus, Silverados, etc., etc., etc.

If I'm getting work done on a tire, I take the wheel off the car at home and take it to my local Discount Tire. They are tire experts - that's essentially all they do. They are very careful with the wheels and actually seem to enjoy working on my wheels and doing a great job for me.

Same thing for alignments - the dealership has the capability, but they are generally very poor at doing a good alignment on a Vette.

So.....for getting your tires worked on, I recommend that you DO NOT go to a dealer - go to a good tire shop.

Bob
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,203 Likes on 707 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Tire plug kit DIY

now find a good wheel dealer in your area....no way I would let the dealership touch my wheels...
2006C6
Racer

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Why go to a GM dealership for a flat? You need to go to a major tire store that is changing tires all day long. Particularly when you have the time to pick and chose. I have sought out stores with Hunter machines as they seem to handle wide wheels well.
Thanks will keep that in mind next time. I always thought that run flats had to be fixed at the dealership.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
ww1999
Instructor

However, when the wheel comes off the car it goes over to the tire guy in the dealership, and all he normally works on are wheels/tires off Cobalts, Malibus, Silverados, etc., etc., etc.

If I'm getting work done on a tire, I take the wheel off the car at home and take it to my local Discount Tire. They are tire experts - that's essentially all they do. They are very careful with the wheels and actually seem to enjoy working on my wheels and doing a great job for me.

Same thing for alignments - the dealership has the capability, but they are generally very poor at doing a good alignment on a Vette.

So.....for getting your tires worked on, I recommend that you DO NOT go to a dealer - go to a good tire shop.

Bob [/QUOTE]

I have had great luck with Discount Tire for repairs and replacement, And Goodyear Locally for alignment. No marks ever on rims.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
Unless it's a dealer that does big Corvette business, and there are very few of those, tires go to a tire place like Discount, and alignment goes to an alignment shop.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,630 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by c1vettes
Going to the Dealer is like going to a steak house and ordering seafood.....
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
I agree with you 100% and do the same.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

can you post a picture.

Last edited by MCSSLT1; 08-30-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM
DriverC6
Pro

It's worse. At least the steak house won't tear up the Plate!

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Going to the Dealer is like going to a steak house and ordering seafood.....
Old 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006C6
Morning, so I had a nail stuck in my tire and took it to a reputable GM dealership here and guess what...they scratched the rim. At first they wouldnt admit to it but when i pointed it out to them and started talking to the managers they admitted it. Since they are black the manager tells me they will touch them up... I freaked out and told them you cant just touch em up.... *&#% I am getting really sick and tired of GMs service, love the car but with all my crappy experiences with the service part of owning this car its getting really close to just packing it in.

I am sad to say it but I got this beat. Very 1st drive with new GS, I hit 2 rocks and blow out both passenger side RFs. Since I am going on vacation in a few days, I needed someone fast. Made the mistake of taking it to Chevy dealer in Darien CT. They damaged all 4 wheels. Not just scratches on each spoke of each wheel but gouges too. Same story too. They denied it for weeks until I got East coast Regional Service Mgt involved. These guys took 1 look and authorized 4 new wheels. OK now here's the bad part.
Took new set to high end wheel shop and they chipped one too. Am waiting to see how they handle it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
2006C6
Racer

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
I am sad to say it but I got this beat. Very 1st drive with new GS, I hit 2 rocks and blow out both passenger side RFs. Since I am going on vacation in a few days, I needed someone fast. Made the mistake of taking it to Chevy dealer in Darien CT. They damaged all 4 wheels. Not just scratches on each spoke of each wheel but gouges too. Same story too. They denied it for weeks until I got East coast Regional Service Mgt involved. These guys took 1 look and authorized 4 new wheels. OK now here's the bad part.
Took new set to high end wheel shop and they chipped one too. Am waiting to see how they handle it.
Crap. that sucks. I am just more frustrated with the whole denial aspect. I am a pretty calm person so if they told me straight up, hey we messed up your rim but we'll find a way to fix the problem I would have been happy. I even made this job really easy for them. I took the rim off myself last night...lol

Get notified of new replies

To Had a flat tire

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
If you still can, or in the future, try Town Fair Tire in Fairfield. I know they have a Hunter machine and guys who know Vette wheels. Bring Jacking pucks though.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

It's always a good idea to inspect the car with the service writer before it's released into service. Our guy always walks around the car, with me present, when he's writing up the service order. We also note the mileage on the order. This protects both them and me.

OP, good luck. I hope the dealer steps up to the plate and makes it right.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck. I have aftermarket wheels and the dealership doesnt want to touch them. NTB scratched them. Discount Tire seems pretty good, but even questionable.

To the OP. I can understand you being upset, but your lucky they are even fixing it. I had them scratch the nose of my vette once and they said they didnt do it.....I was stuck with it.

Quick Reply: Had a flat tire