C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson #1 Don't park your vette at a Chrysler Plant

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Lesson #1 Don't park your vette at a Chrysler Plant

Last night I learned a new lesson. After only having this car 3 weeks I have a cracked left rear wheel well lip. Parked off by myself in an empty part of the parking lot, my car was the victim of jealousy (I guess). Some one hit the side of my car with something maybe even slammed a door. Hard to tell, but the lip is cracked and there was nobody parked beside me. The worst part of the whole thing is that I can't park my vette at work ever again. I'm bummed out.

$500 repair. Body shop has to repair the crack, paint the area and clear the whole panel.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,278 Likes on 936 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Many automotive plants used to have one parking lot close to the plant for autos made by that plant and other parking lots farther away for other company cars. You'd think that would help the bashing the competition problem, but maybe not.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Does the parking lot have cameras?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 PM
raycer
Racer

Originally Posted by revo1059
Does the parking lot have cameras?
I asked security. No cameras in that lot, because it's usuall empty.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by raycer
Last night I learned a new lesson. After only having this car 3 weeks I have a cracked left rear wheel well lip. Parked off by myself in an empty part of the parking lot, my car was the victim of jealousy (I guess). Some one hit the side of my car with something maybe even slammed a door. Hard to tell, but the lip is cracked and there was nobody parked beside me. The worst part of the whole thing is that I can't park my vette at work ever again. I'm bummed out.

$500 repair. Body shop has to repair the crack, paint the area and clear the whole panel.
A lot of haters. Welcome to the club. I had my c5 keyed front to back. I got rid of it as soon as that happened.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I'm bummed also. I can't believe a union member would do something like that to another union member. Kinda like solders protecting each other's back.

I bet is was management that did it.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I'm bummed also. I can't believe a union member would do something like that to another union member. Kinda like solders protecting each other's back.

You are kidding, right?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

wow,,,,that is brutal,,,what an asshat the guy must be,,,,,,,,but it could happen in any lot,,,,,especially at work,,,
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Your kidding right ? Union members dont care about no one but themselves.

Thats whats wrong with organized labor..
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket

I have been to many Chrysler plants including those in Canada and they sold me a Honda (Acura).
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if the Corvette is a higher % American made than the cars being made in the Chrysler plant.

When I have traveled to Detroit, I made sure I got an American "made" rental car so I could park in the lots nearest the buildings. I was told I could park a GM or Ford near the Chrysler technology building, just not a "foreign" car.

Too bad about the damage. There are a lot of good people in the auto industry whether union of management, but there are also some jerks there.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cartop2
I wonder if the Corvette is a higher % American made than the cars being made in the Chrysler plant.

When I have traveled to Detroit, I made sure I got an American "made" rental car so I could park in the lots nearest the buildings. I was told I could park a GM or Ford near the Chrysler technology building, just not a "foreign" car.

Too bad about the damage. There are a lot of good people in the auto industry whether union of management, but there are also some jerks there.
I used to go to Chrysler headquarters in Auburn Hills multiple times a week and lots of Hondas and Toyotas in the parking garage. The facility were they developed the SRT cars and did traing and such, required a Chrysler product to park near the building.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM
raycer
Racer

I'm pretty sure the whole issue has nothing to do with unions or management , just jealous uncaring people.

If bashing union workers gets you off, go to it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
JFKLS3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok this thread may get locked but so be it. To the OP, that sucks man. I know that feels. My Vette was hit by a shopping cart on a windy day while I was parked at the edge of the lot 20 spaces from anyone else. At least it wasn't intentional, as yours was. I was able to buff it out with a power buffer and it is gone so I was lucky.

As for full metal jacket, sir you should not make statements like that. I am, and have been a UAW member for the last 21 years. I, nor do the folks I work with, feel entitled to what we have. I am very fortunate, in this world and economy to have a job, let alone a good one, and to have people like you making statements like that is reprehensible. I get in and out of cars all day and after this long it takes a toll on the body, but I tell myself what is the alternative? Do I quit? Just because it is difficult, mundane, and repetitive?
No, I earn my living and am thankful for it. If every employer in this country paid people a decent living wage there would be no need for unions at all, but is that the case?
I apologize for this thread taking this turn but I can not stand ill informed comments with regard to bashing other people such as that.
The emoticon also does nothing to help your uninspired statement.....
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If every employer in this country paid people a decent living wage there would be no need for unions at all, but is that the case?

Employers need to pay people what they are worth, and some are worth more than others. Unions don't see things this way.

I was a union member for several years, and the things I saw in a GM plant were shocking.
A few examples:
  • Union members dealing drugs
  • An entire crew (including the foreman) failing a drug test and being fired from the day shift only to be sent out the next day on the night shift
  • A prostitution ring being run by and for the union workers in the plant parking lot
  • Cars of a foreign make being turned on their tops

So IMO the union workers are very capable of doing this to the OP's car.

Last edited by dfinke23; 09-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Employers need to pay people what they are worth, and some are worth more than others. Unions don't see things this way.

I was a union member for several years, and the things I saw in a GM plant were shocking.
A few examples:
  • An entire crew (including the foreman) failing a drug test and being fired from the day shift only to be sent out the next day on the night shift
  • A prostitution ring being run by and for the union workers in the plant parking lot

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson #1 Don't park your vette at a Chrysler Plant

Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Complete douche move, sorry to hear about grown ups acting like spoiler children.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

AMEN

Originally Posted by dfinke23

A few examples:

and
IB4TL
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by raycer

Man that sucks.

Childish prank by some nitwit that cost tons of money.

BTW union bashing/hashing belongs in PR&C. Let's keep this thread open out of sheer disgust for the childish bullschlitz that happened to the OP.

Quick Reply: Lesson #1 Don't park your vette at a Chrysler Plant