C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default It can happen to a red one too!

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I put a Optima RED top in mine.
If he DOESN'T shut the Vette down correctly, the RED one will also die too.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just experienced this episode this morning. I got "service column lock", "shocks inoperative", "service vehicle soon" and a couple of others.

The HVAC went nuts as well as the radio. One headlamp was lit also. The relays were clicking wildly and the sounds from the speakers were ungodly. I was supposed to have the car over at the dealer this morning for a follow up (they inspected it and I had a vibration, similar to a wheel out of balance, afterwards) and the car was dead. It's also a 2005 MN6 with about 27000 miles. I've got it on a charger now and I'll check on it tonight.

I'll post later.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
"Car MUST be put in REVERSE .....
You know, it's states that in the manual but it doesn't tell you why.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked with the dealer. Here's the Delco battery number for those who have this issue in the future and want to replace it with another Delco. GM Part number 89021906 590CCA
Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to OP and his issue? Get it fixed?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by TMiles c6
I did the service active handling recall. Also i have the priority start in case of dbs which helped me get in the car easier.
I have a few comments.

First, was the TSB for battery drain ever done? There is a TSB out for the 2005. It calls for a reflash of the BCM to resolve several software glitches that can keep the BCM awake even though the car is shut down in reverse. This is the classic "DBS" that has been discussed here since the C6 was first introduced. It can effect every 2005 C6 with a manual transmission so it is, IMHO, a must do TSB. It is a totally random event; some cars had multiple events while others never had any.

The Priority Start module will disconnect the battery when it drops below, I believe, 11.8 volts. That should allow you to start the car. If, even with the Priority Start you can't start the car, the battery must be incapable of holding a charge.

I went with the Optima Yellow Top. The Red Top provides greater cranking power, the Yellow Top has greater reserve capacity. Either one is an improvement over the stock Delco battery.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not responding so soon guys.work, subcontracting with home depot.. With the recommendation of others, I picked up the schumacher battery tender. Also my Red optima battery top will arrive tomorrow, advanced auto parts out of stock on sale though $150. when i get the car up and running again, i'll go to the dealership and check if the previous owner has done the bcm reflash on it. Lol, I followed with the whole dbs episode and thats why i brought the priority start. I'll update for you tomorrow guys, this is my first thread and i'm glad to be apart of this community. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for not responding so soon guys.work, subcontracting with home depot.. With the recommendation of others, I picked up the schumacher battery tender. Also my Red optima battery top will arrive tomorrow, advanced auto parts out of stock on sale though $150. when i get the car up and running again, i'll go to the dealership and check if the previous owner has done the bcm reflash on it. Lol, I followed with the whole dbs episode and thats why i brought the priority start. I'll update for you tomorrow guys, this is my first thread and i'm glad to be apart of this community. Thanks everyone.
Well, good luck and hope this solves everything!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

well, I hooked up the battery tender yesterday and fully charged it. Today I hooked up the new optima battery, tried to start it, but nothing. I pressed the clutch in and hit the starter button, but only the electric would come on. It does the gauge sweep, ac boots on, but still throws multiple codes too. even when i shut it down and the shift to reverse comes on, it doesn't even shut down properly. I would sit in the car after the shut down process, and it would chime at me three times. Seems like its going to get towed.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

well, I hooked up the battery tender yesterday and fully charged it. Today I hooked up the new optima battery, tried to start it, but nothing. I pressed the clutch in and hit the starter button, but only the electric would come on. It does the gauge sweep, ac boots on, but still throws multiple codes too. even when i shut it down and the shift to reverse comes on, it doesn't even shut down properly. I would sit in the car after the shut down process, and it would chime at me three times. Seems like its going to get towed.
The Shumacher is not a full-fledged charger. It may take a few days to fully charge it. And if the battery is too far gone, it can't save everything! If you have a full-fledged charger, maybe you should stick that on overnight.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 AM
TMiles c6
Cruising

The Shumacher is not a full-fledged charger. It may take a few days to fully charge it. And if the battery is too far gone, it can't save everything! If you have a full-fledged charger, maybe you should stick that on overnight.
This is the new battery that i charged yesterday. I'll try again tonight to see what happens. If its the same model that you recommend me to buy at walmart for $20 dollars, isn't there a indicator to say that its fully charged? It says that it is. I'll try the full fledge charger tonight.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

This is the new battery that i charged yesterday. I'll try again tonight to see what happens. If its the same model that you recommend me to buy at walmart for $20 dollars, isn't there a indicator to say that its fully charged? It says that it is. I'll try the full fledge charger tonight.
Whoa...if you just bought a new battery, and it isn't starting, you likely have a different problem.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 AM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Whoa...if you just bought a new battery, and it isn't starting, you likely have a different problem.
Yeah i figured. Thanks for the help anyways. Only other things i can tell you guys the check engine light stays on even after the shift to reverse shutdown. Unless i press the lock button on the fob, which chimes at me once, it wont shut down properly. The steering column lock unlocks fine though, so we can eliminate that. I love this car too much to be angry at it, so some money at the dealership, and hopefully i'll be back on the road.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

yeah, finally got it fixed. It was an aftermarket head unit audio wire not hooked up properly. They ran the power to the battery, dealer rerouted to the main fuse and cleared all the codes. charged me for an hour and a half labor. glad i got it home. Next year, this bad boy is getting a centrifugal supercharger. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

yeah, finally got it fixed. It was an aftermarket head unit audio wire not hooked up properly. They ran the power to the battery, dealer rerouted to the main fuse and cleared all the codes. charged me for an hour and a half labor. glad i got it home. Next year, this bad boy is getting a centrifugal supercharger. Thanks for the help guys.
Glad all is well now and sounds like your dealer is a good one. Didn't charge you an arm and leg. Enjoy it now
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Congrats on getting it figured out without too much expense. Sounds like you needed a new battery anyway and now will be able to move on.

Quick Reply: corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.