C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's so great about coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM
0Supervettes LLC
Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Easy answer is "Profit Margin". That's it. You don't honestly think GM uses the best of everything do you?

I don't want to go off on a tangent, so in order to stick to the thread... the best advice I could give is... ride in a Vette with both... then you'll understand. It's honestly what it took for me. It's a night and day difference.

Last edited by Supervettes LLC; 09-14-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Supervettes LLC

Also... coil overs gives you true independent suspension... ie; when you go over a pothole, the whole entire car will not shake like a shopping cart, lol. The 16-Way agjustable coilovers from Pfadt is what we prefer using, and they are night and day difference... Paired with the sway bars... it feels like a completely different car. Much more stable around corners, very little-to-no body roll, depending on your adjustments, etc...

No, you still have anti-roll bars.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 AM
0Supervettes LLC
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
No, you still have anti-roll bars.
Sway bars are designed to adjust the balance, the under-steer or over-steer tendency, and control body roll. By increasing the rate of both front and rear sway bars you can reduce the tendency for the body to roll during cornering. This will make the car react more quickly to your steering inputs. By changing the rate of just the front or the rear sway bar you can change the balance of the car. This allows you to adapt the balance of the car to fit your specific setup, track and driving style.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bars are designed to adjust the balance, the under-steer or over-steer tendency, and control body roll. By increasing the rate of both front and rear sway bars you can reduce the tendency for the body to roll during cornering. This will make the car react more quickly to your steering inputs. By changing the rate of just the front or the rear sway bar you can change the balance of the car. This allows you to adapt the balance of the car to fit your specific setup, track and driving style.
This is absolutely correct. But keep in mind the other effects of sway bars. When your feft wheel goes over a bump the sway bar will try and lift your right wheel as well. This means in addition to the left wheel compressing the left spring half, the sway bar also trys to compress the right spring half, increasing the resistance of the left wheel to raise and retract over the bump, and thus increasing the tendency to lift the front body of the vehicle rather than allowing the left wheel to retract and not lift the body. This causes the car to be less compliant to absorbing bumps, and increase the tendency of the vehicle to skitter and dart while encountering bumps in a curve or on a washboard road when braking, and like-wise causes both wheels to loose contact with the road after encountering a bump on either side. A second effect of increased diameter sway bars will cause the vehicle to ride more roughly like a buckboard. These negatives often overcome any positive benefits of increasing sway bar stiffness, and cause loss of vehicle control.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
When lifting the front end you really need to watch for keeping the rake in the car. The front should be lower then the rear of the car.

Randy
I'm only wanting to lift it to get into the sloped garage without dragging and then back to where it belongs. I only have about 3/4" before the paint scrapes the cement. Thus, if I go slow, I miss the paint but just a little too fast and suspension movement can cause the nose to drag. I have tried at an angle but it has to be too severe and then clearing the garage door opening becomes an issue. It is impossible to pull in without getting it and even worse backing out as the rear raises and front drops. We spent days working with the cement people trying to make the least angle but the ground is what the ground is.

Last edited by mickeykelley; 09-15-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the exact set up of your driveway and garage but would this be a possible solution?

http://www.amazon.com/BRIDJIT-Drivew.../dp/B002YQ2GXC
Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I think it amusing that so many Vette owners lay out big bucks on a Z06, a ZR1, the Z51 optional suspension, or modify their F55 optional suspension with Z51 sway bars when only 5% track their cars. All these choices and options cause their cars to skitter and dart around bumpy curves or on washboard roads more than their standard suspension or factory F55 suspension, causing intermittant loss of tire to road contact, directional control and increased stoping distances on everyday roads because their cars are more suitable for smooth and flat road courses or tracks on which 95% of them never drive. Yet, to a man, they all claim their cars handle "better". Coilovers on cars driven on the street are a similiar waste of money. Flame on all you shade tree mechanics who know more than the GM suspension engineers.
I am glad someone finally said something to make me feel good about owning a base c6.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timothy Barth
I am glad someone finally said something to make me feel good about owning a base c6.
You shouldn't need anyone else to make you feel good about anything you do in life. Least of all the type of car you drive. After all it's still a Corvette isn't it.

IMO the GM designed it that way argument is a cop out. Yes GM has more money and research abilities than we do but they also have a lot more compromises to make. As a private vehicle owner, we don't have to abide by the same regulations nor do we have to cater to a variety of needs. We also don't have to warranty our cars and we can choose to set them up based on our own personal agenda. That means we can ignore the compromises GM has to adhere to. Car manufacturers do not always use the best. The use the best to appeal to the most.

But since this thread seems to be more about driveway ingress and egress, the coilover discussion is no longer on topic.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
A buddy of mine that no longer lives in the area: Geoff Ramage. He used to own a 2007 Z06 that he drove the wheels off of at Summit. Mods to it: StopTech brakes, Hoosier-daddy tires, Sparco racing seats and harnesses. That's it. No power adders, no suspension mods... nothing. Traqmate-verified lap times in the 19s.

When you can get your cars into the 19s with tires and (perhaps) brakes, then start considering overhauling the core of your cars' suspension.
Now I know this entire post is BS.

This same argument has been made about tracking motorcycles for years, and I learned through my time racing and on track that it is false.

Just because somebody can go much faster than you with less, does not mean that you cannot go faster with a better car.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting back to topic...

I guess it's like a lot of things discussed on the forum, people who have (or had) coliovers love them and see them as well worth the money. People who have never had coilovers will argue they are not worth the expense, and find reasons why they are not needed.

My take - they are certainly not needed for everyday driving, but they sure are nice! In combination with other suspension and wheel upgrades, they make driving the Corvette a truly beautiful thing.

I bought the base suspension model, saving money because I knew I would want to upgrade at some point. The base suspension had too much *Cadillac bounce* for my taste. The transverse leaf springs gave too much cross-talk, and in combination with runflat tires, I got continuous wheel-hop and poor performance especially on tight, fast turns.

I upgraded and the car is unbelievable now. What made the difference for me was the combination of:
  • Pfadt adjustable coilovers w/ poly bushings
  • Z51 sway bars w/ poly bushings
  • removing GM leaf springs
  • upgrade dampers
  • road tested wheel alignment
  • 4 point balance
  • lowering ride height
  • steering adjustment
  • performance wheels/tires
(see profile)

Major improvement in handling.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM
0Supervettes LLC
Supporting Vendor

Anyone who argues that coilovers / sways are not worth the expense, is simply trying to justify why they haven't bought/installed them. It's a night and day difference, and most high end sports cars have them, standard. If you enjoy the rear end of your car feeling like it's going to slide away on you, during a mildly spirited drive... by all means, stick to the stock leaf springs... if you don't feel this way... then you haven't driven your car the way it was built to be driven.

Leaf springs are cheaper, period, end of story.

Here's what a GM rep had to say about the Pfadt product on a 2010 Camaro:

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Getting back to topic...

I guess it's like a lot of things discussed on the forum, people who have (or had) coliovers love them and see them as well worth the money. People who have never had coilovers will argue they are not worth the expense, and find reasons why they are not needed.

My take - they are certainly not needed for everyday driving, but they sure are nice! In combination with other suspension and wheel upgrades, they make driving the Corvette a truly beautiful thing.

I bought the base suspension model, saving money because I knew I would want to upgrade at some point. The base suspension had too much *Cadillac bounce* for my taste. The transverse leaf springs gave too much cross-talk, and in combination with runflat tires, I got continuous wheel-hop and poor performance especially on tight, fast turns.

I upgraded and the car is unbelievable now. What made the difference for me was the combination of:
  • upgrade dampers
  • 4 point balance
  • lowering ride height
  • steering adjustment
(see profile)

Last edited by Supervettes LLC; 09-15-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Getting back to topic...

• upgrade dampers
  • 4 point balance
  • lowering ride height
  • steering adjustment
(see profile)

So, please tell more. What difference? what improved handling? seat of the pants feeling, better butt dyno? Did you track your car before your upgrade and have timeslips to show the improved handling?

I want to know? I would guess for the couple thousand I would expexct to see a significant improvement in track times right?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dads toy
So, please tell more. What difference? what improved handling? seat of the pants feeling, better butt dyno? Did you track your car before your upgrade and have timeslips to show the improved handling?

I want to know? I would guess for the couple thousand I would expexct to see a significant improvement in track times right?
It's in the handling. The cornering. The steering response. There's quite a bit of info in the forums already. Use the Search utility.

However, I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything. Do what you want to your car, you will anyway.

Last edited by keyplyr; 09-15-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
I'm only wanting to lift it to get into the sloped garage without dragging and then back to where it belongs. I only have about 3/4" before the paint scrapes the cement. Thus, if I go slow, I miss the paint but just a little too fast and suspension movement can cause the nose to drag. I have tried at an angle but it has to be too severe and then clearing the garage door opening becomes an issue. It is impossible to pull in without getting it and even worse backing out as the rear raises and front drops. We spent days working with the cement people trying to make the least angle but the ground is what the ground is.
There is adjustment bolts on the leaf spring ends. You can use a pry-bar and pull the spring up. Then use a metric wrench 10mm or 11mm to adjust the pads.

If you bought a used car, many people lower them. Stock ride heights are kinda of all over the place.

Posting a picture of the situation would help with suggestions. I use a couple wood sticks with 45 degree angles cut in the end and can get my car on and off my trailer. The $1500 carbon splitter is 2.3 inches off the ground.

Check out these also. http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-7...0-c6-only.aspx

Many midwest corvettes have these wheels. They do seem to help in some driveways, garage and other headache places for Corvettes.

Randy
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Absolutely correct!

Absolutely correct! I have a 06 F55 and I changed out the sway bars to Z51's on it because of a tight and scary head on passing of an 18 wheeler on a narrow country road bridge. The base F55 had about 2.5" inches of back and forth steering wheel play. There was less than 2' of total clearance including both sides (truck and bridge railing). Because of the excessive body roll of the C6, I changed out the sway bars, what a different car, much more planted. This eliminated the EXCESSIVE body roll and steering play and you now have steady car compared to before. Because of the previous play in the steering, you could NEVER RELAX because of the play from the rolling, a very tiring drive. GM should not have put the base sway bars on the Vette unless you wanted a SLOW SUNDAY AFTERNOON CRUISE!

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 09-15-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Absolutely correct! I have a 06 F55 and I changed out the sway bars to Z51's on it because of a tight and scary head on passing of an 18 wheeler on a narrow country road bridge. The base F55 had about 2.5" inches of back and forth steering wheel play. There was less than 2' of total clearance including both sides (truck and bridge railing). Because of the excessive body roll of the C6, I changed out the sway bars, what a different car, much more planted. This eliminated the EXCESSIVE body roll and steering play and you now have steady car compared to before. Because of the previous play in the steering, you could NEVER RELAX because of the play from the rolling, a very tiring drive. GM should not have put the base sway bars on the Vette unless you wanted a SLOW SUNDAY AFTERNOON CRUISE!
A slow sunday afternoon cruise is certainly preferable to passing an 18 wheeler on a narrow country bridge!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
We had a heated discussion in our racing club and this is from one of our top guys-

This is pure gold. Thanks a lot for the info! I was considering this mod, but this really puts it into perspective.

Get notified of new replies

To What's so great about coilovers?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

It's in the handling. The cornering. The steering response. There's quite a bit of info in the forums already. Use the Search utility.

However, I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything. Do what you want to your car, you will anyway.

not asking you to convince me. I am asking if you have real time slips to show that they handle, corner better.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dads toy
not asking you to convince me. I am asking if you have real time slips to show that they handle, corner better.
Never raced until I did the upgrades.

However the difference is so significant, you'll wonder why you ever thought you needed "proof."

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by SilverScorp

This is pure gold. Thanks a lot for the info! I was considering this mod, but this really puts it into perspective.
BTW- Heated discussion is still going on.

Quick Reply: What's so great about coilovers?