C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Bristol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling fan not working

Help. Today my C6 overheated and the cooling fan did not come on. So i checked the fuse and it is OK. Then I checked the fan to is if it was free and running smooth, and it is. I looked for a rely for the fan and did not find it. If I drive at fifty MPH or faster the temp stays in the 210-210 range.

Any suggestions? Where is the sensor for the water temp?

I need help guys.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No personal experience, just passing on info I've seen here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-working.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-come-on.html

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
oakleyguy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Did your Check engine light come on? That happened to me not too long ago. Turned out to be the fan control module was bad.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Bristol
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
No personal experience, just passing on info I've seen here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-working.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-come-on.html

Good luck.
Thanks again, The Forum is great.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Bristol
Racer

The check engine light did not come on, but where is the "Fan Module." and is there a way to check it.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Gramps13
2nd Gear

Default c6 cooling fan failure

Same thing just happened to my 2008. Dealership replaced cooling fan module ($485) and sent me on my way. Never made it home. Took it back (where it is now) and they called Friday and said the ground wire to the module had worn thru and they replaced it. "Fan running now, but let us keep the car for a couple of days to test it" Hmmm.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The module is right down next to the fan and can be seen from underneath. There have been problems with the ground wire there.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Hammerman
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gramps13
Same thing just happened to my 2008. Dealership replaced cooling fan module ($485) and sent me on my way. Never made it home. Took it back (where it is now) and they called Friday and said the ground wire to the module had worn thru and they replaced it. "Fan running now, but let us keep the car for a couple of days to test it" Hmmm.
Welcome to CF Gramps13
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Bristol
Racer

OK Here is the latest.
Continuity Tested the fan and it is OK. Pulled the # 25 fuse 60A and tested it's continuity and it is OK. Pulled the electrical connector apart and it looks brand new, perfect, no sign of corrosion on the top or bottom. .

So where is the sensor for the over heat fan?????? How can I test it.

I need help guys as I live 100 miles from a Chevy dealer that I think I might have trust in.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:55 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

When your A/C is on are the cooling fans running?? Did the car actually over heat? 210 in in the normal range...though it should be 190 -200 range when cruising.....
Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Bristol
Racer

Originally Posted by pettvette
When your A/C is on are the cooling fans running?? Did the car actually over heat? 210 in in the normal range...though it should be 190 -200 range when cruising.....
The heat went to 240 and turned off the A/C. No fan at all so I figure it has to be the sensor because the fan works when I give it outside power, the connector is clean and the fuse is good.

Any body know where the sensor is for the fan??????
Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 PM
cclive
Team Owner

The sensor that is telling you that the coolant is at 240 degrees is the same one that the computer uses to control the fan and make all its other decisions....so if it is displaying 240 degrees to you, then that means that the sensor is getting the proper info to the computer.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Bristol
Racer

That would seem to mean that the fan motor is shot???????? Is that the bottom line?

I need help
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

The motor is a simple electric motor, not all that much to go wrong. I would bet on the module being bad. You can test the wires coming out of the module going to the fan motor and see if the module is sending it power. If you see significant voltage there, then the motor is getting current and is not spinning, so its bad. If the module does not send power to the motor, then something else is wrong, but it really requires test equipment because you need to see if the fan is being commanded on by the computer. If the computer is commanding on, then the module is the problem. Remember when checking the voltage that the fan is always commanded on when the A/C is running and the engine is warmed up.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

engine has a temperature sensor in it. It sends info to the computer and then it in turn sends a signal to the fan control module that powers up the fan. The temp gauge working would leave me to believe the sensor is working correctly and i doubt there is an issue with the computer. 2 possible common issues are the fan module or the fan itself.
A little technical to check the module but basically it has 5 wires, ground (black) , power (red) , one wire going to the computer (red/orange) , 2 wires going to the fan (red & Black) so check those and that shoudl help you diagnose it.
More then likely if the fan spins freely by hand its ok (usually when a fan goes out it locks up the fan) BUT the fan going bad can easily short out the module as well. so just slapping in a module may not do it. good luck, paul
Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Bristol
Racer

Default Fam Module

Originally Posted by HANNY
engine has a temperature sensor in it. It sends info to the computer and then it in turn sends a signal to the fan control module that powers up the fan. The temp gauge working would leave me to believe the sensor is working correctly and i doubt there is an issue with the computer. 2 possible common issues are the fan module or the fan itself.
A little technical to check the module but basically it has 5 wires, ground (black) , power (red) , one wire going to the computer (red/orange) , 2 wires going to the fan (red & Black) so check those and that shoudl help you diagnose it.
More then likely if the fan spins freely by hand its ok (usually when a fan goes out it locks up the fan) BUT the fan going bad can easily short out the module as well. so just slapping in a module may not do it. good luck, paul
Well, first thanks to all of you guys for the feed back. I really appreciated it. I took my Z06 in to the dealer and $676.58 they replaced the senor module. I have the bad part and am amazed at its size. 4"x3"x 3" made in Germany by Sieman VDO. I would think that it is just a glorifide relay. You would think that GM would p/u some par of the cost as my C6 Z06 only has 20,000 miles though it is a 2006.

Any thoughts??

Thanks again everybody
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So if I understand, they replaced the fan module which is up near the fan? What was the part number of the module. Just preparing for the future to see if it is worth the gamble to replace it. One of our vendors might be able to get a decent price on this module. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan not working

Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Thats' expensive...the module only sells for $240 MSRP and $156 on Gene's site. I can't imagine that it would be more than a one hour job to replace.

It is just a glorified relay, but remember that it is not a simple on-off relay but a transistorized unit that allows the fan to run at different levels between 10 and 90% of max speed.

Last edited by cclive; 10-08-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

When you say over heated,what exactly are your car's symptoms??Are you judging this by the temp guage or was steam coming up like in days gone by??
Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this forum. I just saved a bunch of money at GIECO....
The 3 prong connector was fried just like the photo above.. dealer said they are aware of the problem, yet have no solution..
q. since it draws 25 amps why have a 60 amp fuse? could we run a 30-or 40 amp fuse to protect the rest of the system and the surge when it starts.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan not working