C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roebling Road and Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
KevinJax
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Roebling Road and Convertibles

Hello, Does anyone know if Roebling Road Raceway in Ga will allow Corvette Convertibles on the track for Driver's Ed functions? I called up there and they lady answering the phone was only guessing "yes" because they had allowed my Porsche convertible. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Flies Lo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche convertibles have integral roll-over protection (911's have the bars that pop up and Boxsters have the roll-bars behind the seats)...your Vette does not...I'd guess that without some sort of roll-bar you won't be able to track your car...that's specifically why I bought a coupe...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It was probably a special case, but Motorweek tracked a Vert when they tested the Corvette there.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Flies Lo
Instructor

I think it will come down to what the regulations of whatever sanctioning body is renting the track at the event you plan to attend...for instance, BMW CCA does not allow any convertibles, period...a PCA event will allow any factory installed roll over protection, and any other open car will be required to have roll over protection added, and the "broomstick test" will be administered (your helmet must be a certain distance below a broomstick laid across the cockpit from the windshield to the roll bar)...I don't know what NASA requires lately...

Or will you be driving Roebling Road at some sort of open track event put on by the track itself? Then only the track will dictate what you'll need...and I hope they provide you with an instructor...

Personally, I wouldn't drive at a track event in a convertible without roll over protection, but that's just me...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Verts are just the poor step-child when it comes to this stuff. This is just something you need to get used to. It doesn't seem to matter in antique/historic car races where little hoops that barely even go above the head of the driver count..even without strong windshield frames.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flies Lo
I think it will come down to what the regulations of whatever sanctioning body is renting the track at the event you plan to attend...for instance, BMW CCA does not allow any convertibles, period...a PCA event will allow any factory installed roll over protection, and any other open car will be required to have roll over protection added, and the "broomstick test" will be administered (your helmet must be a certain distance below a broomstick laid across the cockpit from the windshield to the roll bar)...I don't know what NASA requires lately...

Or will you be driving Roebling Road at some sort of open track event put on by the track itself? Then only the track will dictate what you'll need...and I hope they provide you with an instructor...

Personally, I wouldn't drive at a track event in a convertible without roll over protection, but that's just me...
It depends on the organization sponsoring the event, I'd check with PCA, BMW, Seat time and the others that organizations that sponsor events at that track.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Jeff
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

It will depend on the event, but I have driven a go cart on Roebling road. No roll bar, only a helmet.

Get notified of new replies

To Roebling Road and Convertibles

Quick Reply: Roebling Road and Convertibles