C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
ant21b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GMPP extended warranty

I am buying a new C6. Is it a good idea to purchase the extended gmpp warranty? Also what about the seperate tire and wheel warranty.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the gmpp. If you are going to buy it, check with the 2 or 3 dealers on this site that sell it for the best prices. They can tell you the best time to buy the warranty.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Buying just prior to 12 months or 12k miles allows you to buy the GMPP at pricing that is identical to a new car. And the GMPP coverage adds onto the calendar date and odometer reading at the time of GMPP purchase. Don't exceed either 12 months or 12k miles or you will have to buy at the higher price levels of a used car. The original first purchase of GMPP can not be made if the vehicle exceeds the bumper to bumper factory coverage of 36 months/36k miles so don't exceed that under any circumstance if you intend to buy the GMPP. A GMPP coverage itself can also be extended once under a different set of rules.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM
madcadr
Racer

I am just at 2 years and 14k miles - How do I find what this additional coverage costs?

Does it EXTEND the bumper-to-bumper coverage - Or, is it a "Watered-Down" safety net for certain items?

Still don't understand how GM states that thye have the best warranty.... Hyundai and Kia have the best warranty hands-down. Wonder what specs they were going off of (Or who was smoking crack in the ad department - (Parents have 2 hyundais that just turned 10 years - Thier stock warranty blows GMs away IMO.)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

this has been discussed hundreds of times. if you do a search you will find the answers to all your questions.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

better hurry up, the prices are going up if they didn't already
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by madcadr
I am just at 2 years and 14k miles - How do I find what this additional coverage costs?

Does it EXTEND the bumper-to-bumper coverage - Or, is it a "Watered-Down" safety net for certain items?

Still don't understand how GM states that thye have the best warranty.... Hyundai and Kia have the best warranty hands-down. Wonder what specs they were going off of (Or who was smoking crack in the ad department - (Parents have 2 hyundais that just turned 10 years - Thier stock warranty blows GMs away IMO.)
Hyundai and Kia have longer warranties. However, read the fine print or you will end up very angry.

BTW..The Corvette warranty should be the same as the Cadillac with an additional year and 12k miles. That is a real problem with Corvette. The car costs as much if not more in some cases and Corvette owners get a inferior warranty package.

OP..GMPP is a good investment for peace of mind and can offset potential costly repairs at a later date.

Last edited by Never Say Never; 10-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
Hyundai and Kia have longer warranties. However, read the fine print or you will end up very angry.

BTW..The Corvette warranty should be the same as the Cadillac with an additional year and 12k miles. That is a real problem with Corvette. The car costs as much if not more in some cases and Corvette owners get a inferior warranty package.

OP..GMPP is a good investment for peace of mind and can offset potential costly repairs at a later date.
well put....
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Buying just prior to 12 months or 12k miles allows you to buy the GMPP at pricing that is identical to a new car. And the GMPP coverage adds onto the calendar date and odometer reading at the time of GMPP purchase. Don't exceed either 12 months or 12k miles or you will have to buy at the higher price levels of a used car. The original first purchase of GMPP can not be made if the vehicle exceeds the bumper to bumper factory coverage of 36 months/36k miles so don't exceed that under any circumstance if you intend to buy the GMPP. A GMPP coverage itself can also be extended once under a different set of rules.
We did ours just short of 12k and through Fitchner a forum vendor who had the best prices and I bet still does
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought mine from Dennis one week before the factory 3/36000 warranty expired and added 5 additional years for around $1100. I have used it twice so far and saved more than I paid for it.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

A couple of years ago I was going to buy a GMPP at the very end of the initial warranty. I was told that even tho I was still within the 3/36 I was too late to Buy, Something about having to buy it a couple thousand miles prior to running out of the 36,000 mile limitation. So, To be sure, Please contact a dealer that knows the rules. Good Luck...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by peter pan
We did ours just short of 12k and through Fitchner a forum vendor who had the best prices and I bet still does
My family has bought three so far from Dennis. I will be buying another for the CTS next spring.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by PaulB
A couple of years ago I was going to buy a GMPP at the very end of the initial warranty. I was told that even tho I was still within the 3/36 I was too late to Buy, Something about having to buy it a couple thousand miles prior to running out of the 36,000 mile limitation. So, To be sure, Please contact a dealer that knows the rules. Good Luck...
Knowing the rules is always good policy. However, I think your dealer is confused. The 2k mile (and maybe 2 months as well) applies if you want to extend the GMPP for one more period as I remember. It used to be 3k/3month had to be left on the GMPP for extension of the GMPP from what I remember.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rates went up October 1. You get the best rate when you purchase it within the first 12 months or first 12,000 miles. Fichtner, here on the forum, can sell it cheaper because they sell so many of them. I got a price from my brother's dealership, so I could compare apples to apples, and the dealer's COST was more than Fichtner's price to me.

It does pay to shop.

oz
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I decided against it and then changed my mind on the last day of my factory warranty. Dennis Fichtner came through and got it done for me on that day...quality guy, great price!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheapest I found.

Black Pontiac Cadillac
Edensburg, pa
877-472-9550

http://gmoutlet.com/

allen@gmoutlet.com (Over 2 years ago.)
Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ounce
Rates went up October 1. You get the best rate when you purchase it within the first 12 months or first 12,000 miles. Fichtner, here on the forum, can sell it cheaper because they sell so many of them. I got a price from my brother's dealership, so I could compare apples to apples, and the dealer's COST was more than Fichtner's price to me.

It does pay to shop.

oz
The dollar amount may be less but your paying for double insurance for the years of the factory warranty. In my case I got five "additional" years for a very good price.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GMPP Answers and Thanks!!

Thanks Everyone for the kudos, Again I have never stated I am the cheapest but watch out for dealerships that beat my price and then charge a hidden processing fee!!!! I go up against dealerships every day and even if I am a little higher everyone goes with me, yes I will toot my own horn, not many guys can get GMPP's done the way I can. Since I sell in such volume I have a little pull and tug with GMPP so I get warranties in place no one else can.

I also handle the Tire and Wheel warranty for those interested.

If interested in a GMPP or tire and wheel plan email me with your VIN and current miles to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com.
Again three levels of GMPP pricing:

Under 12 months and 12K for miles
Under 36 months and less than 23,999K
Under 36 months and over 24K for miles

Also confusion on customers parts are the 2 months and 2,000 miles only applys if you have an EXISTING GMPP and want to extend it.

I also offer the Vehicle One plan to customers that are out of base warranty but under 60K for miles. Must be 2006 or newer and on January 1st, 2011 that goes to 2007 model year so if you have a 2006 hurry and get your warranty.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

I will be sending you a pm with my info.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP extended warranty

Quick Reply: GMPP extended warranty