C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glovebox Slot for FOB inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glovebox Slot for FOB inoperable

Has anyone had their glovebox slot go out on them. Mine isn't reading my only fob at all. I've tried all the solutions to get the dic message to reprogram my extra fob by doing the trunk key turn deal to no avail. I tried a test to see if the slot was working and I get nothing out of it. I need to change it out and would like the technical name to the part for replacement purposes. Also if anyone has done this job, please give me pointers

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I have not had any experiences with that slot, but there have been several threads here where folks reported having a problem with it. Some had to have it replaced. Hopefully, some of those folks will respond.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the problem is with the fob not the slot.

If the fob has not been correctly programmed for the car, it won't be recognized even in the slot.

And if the fob battery is in backwards, I don't think that will work either.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Assuming you have a working FOB that is starting the car and you are placing THAT FOB in the slot with the buttons facing the passenger side and the car will not start and you remove it from the slot and CAN start the car, I would say you may have a problem with the slot. Is that what is happening?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by foremaw
Assuming you have a working FOB that is starting the car and you are placing THAT FOB in the slot with the buttons facing the passenger side and the car will not start and you remove it from the slot and CAN start the car, I would say you may have a problem with the slot. Is that what is happening?
Please give us a few more details. The only thing that I'd add is that you noted that you did a test to see if the slot was working. If that test involved taking the battery out of your primary fob that could be part of the problem. The slot is for a fob with a dead battery but generally won't work on a fob with no battery. The battery in place helps to complete the circuit.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Here's a few details of my situation. The car does start with the fob that I bought the car with. I thought that having only one fob could result in later heartaches so I purchased another one. I placed new batteries in both fobs, one is programmed the other isn't. I went through the process of reprogramming my new fob to my car. I placed the new fob and old fob in the glove box slot and nothing appeared in the dic. I have the buttons facing the passenger side and tried other orientations just in case I was wrong. Nothing happens and based upon older threads, my glove box slot is inoperable. I'm under the assumption that I need to replace this slot so to reprogram my new key and eventually erase and reprogram my old one because there is one missing fob out there that is programmed to my car. I know not to erase the existing working fob now until this problem is solved. Thanks for all your responses.

Last edited by bocallaghan; 10-28-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Just to clarify, when you say you are testing the slot, are you trying cclive's instructions for testing or doing something else?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

There is nothing special about the "slot". It's just a holster to hold the FOB immediately adjacent to one of the car's FOB antennas behind the glove box.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

yes sir, that is the exact thread I printed off to determine whether or not this slot worked.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bocallaghan
yes sir, that is the exact thread I printed off to determine whether or not this slot worked.
Sounds like you're going to need dealer intervention to diagnose what's wrong. Please let us know what happens.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

ok will do, I will take it in this weekend unless I come up with a fix to this problem. Thanks again
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by RicK T
Just to clarify, when you say you are testing the slot, are you trying cclive's instructions for testing or doing something else?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

There is nothing special about the "slot". It's just a holster to hold the FOB immediately adjacent to one of the car's FOB antennas behind the glove box.
Rick, the section I've highlighted in bold is not completely true. The slot actually uses inductive coupling to excite the fob in to operation. This is the only way to power the send and receive capabilities of the fob in the event of a battery failure in the fob.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
bocallaghan
Advanced

does anyone know the technical name for this glove box slot. I'll just order the part and replace it.

thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by talon90
Rick, the section I've highlighted in bold is not completely true. The slot actually uses inductive coupling to excite the fob in to operation. This is the only way to power the send and receive capabilities of the fob in the event of a battery failure in the fob.
Yes, I didn't explain correctly. Thanks for correcting.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by bocallaghan
does anyone know the technical name for this glove box slot. I'll just order the part and replace it.

thanks
The slot itself is part of the glove box trim plate. I'd start with the antenna that is behind and to the left of the slot behind the trim plate. The antenna is what you are after, it is a $12.00 part give or take and in 2005 was p/n 10448049 but that was superceded by part number 25888495 (current part number).

Open and remove the glove box door. Remove the trim panel, release the antenna from the bracket, disconnect the electrical connector from the antenna, reverse directions replacing with the new antenna and button everything back up.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
bocallaghan
Advanced

Thank you so much, I will buy this part right now. You guys are a big help, I don't know what I would do without all this experience from yall on this site. Best wishes!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I think it would be a bad idea to just start buying and replacing parts. If you cannot get the DIC to display the programming mode by turning the metal key in the trunk, then you really have not isolated the problem to the glovebox slot. You could certainly try removing the battery from your good fob and then putting it in the glovebox slot. While this does not work on all C6s, it does work on many and it if it allows the car to start, then it would show that the slot is working. Conversely, if it does not work, this is not proof that the slot is not working.
If you read all of the follow on posts on the fob programming instruction thread, there are a number of hints, tricks and also a number of things that other people have tried in order to coax the car into the program mode. When I get notes from people on things that worked for them, I always encourage them to add their own hint to that thread....Until you actually perform the test of the slot as it is laid out there, I don't really think that it is proven to be bad and with the symptoms you have stated, I would bet that the slot is not the culprit here. As an electrical part, the slot will not be returnable if you find out that it is not the problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
SG333
Racer

Not getting a DIC message may just mean you need to try a few more times as well as different combinations. I tried multiple times as well and didn't get a DIC message. The last post on the 6 page thread quoted earlier is what worked for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Glovebox Slot for FOB inoperable

Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
bocallaghan
Advanced

I've tried removing the battery and placed it in the slot and nothing happens. I've tried this with the new unprogrammed fob too. I've tried the methods on this site to no avail. There were many tricks on here to get the car into programming mode, but none of them have worked for me. The part was $20 with shipping so I thought it would be a bad idea to try it. I didn't try the last thread from SG333 where I'm supposed to place the car in acc mode, put in reverse, roll down window and close the door. SG333 am I to assume after this i place my key in the trunk and turn it 5 times in 5 seconds and it should go into programming mode? I did a variation of this where I placed the car in acc (w/o starting it), rolled the window down, turn the car off (programmed key in console) and ran back to the trunk of the car and turned the key 5 times. Didn't work. I'm stumped! Thanks for your time guys!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM
bocallaghan
Advanced

needless to say the single option that was better on my C4 than my C6 was the ability to place a key in the ignition and physically start the car from the steering column. I hate the electric start!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
SG333
Racer

This is what i did the other night. This is for adding FOB #3 and/or #4 to your existing ones. The procedure is longer if you are reprogramming all the FOBs.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-problems.html

Quick Reply: Glovebox Slot for FOB inoperable