C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ch47d1sg
Sell your vette and buy a foreign car and then you won't have to worry about it. It is not about blame. Last I checked, GM fixed the roofs, headlights, dif noises etc..... If you can show me a perfect manufacturer, then you have found a truly unique thing
I trashed my GM for an Infiniti one year newer. They have had about equal amounts of issues--a lot.

Buy a car, and keep it under warranty. Get what you want and leave it the hell alone and let the dealership/corporation fix it for you.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley06
you bought a used corvette that has some problems and you say it is GM...How does that make any sense?
Who cares WHY the heater-door is torn to hell. It shouldn't be. Used or not. The heater-door is not something that the original owners "rode hard and put away wet" I am betting.

Did the owner glue it? Did GM? Who cares, we know whoever did it didn't do it because they were bored and just wanted to tear into **** and glue it. It went TU at some point VERY early in the life of the car, compared to when it should have (never).
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Who cares WHY the heater-door is torn to hell. It shouldn't be. Used or not. The heater-door is not something that the original owners "rode hard and put away wet" I am betting.

Did the owner glue it? Did GM? Who cares, we know whoever did it didn't do it because they were bored and just wanted to tear into **** and glue it. It went TU at some point VERY early in the life of the car, compared to when it should have (never).
The point is the OP was blaming factory QC for it and some of us think that is wrong. Cannot imagine factory leaving screws out and gluing pieces that are never glued. My guess is someone (prior to the OP owning it) was in there trying to install something else and screwed up this assembly along the way.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rule292
Do >$50,000 cars usually need $2,000+ heater door repairs at 25k miles?

How does a previous owner cause a heater door ($2,000+ repair) to self-destruct at 25k miles?

Do we know if this car was in a accident? Many accidents are not even reported. I have seen people do some crazy things to cars over the years. Most believe this happened after it left the factory. Is is possible it did? Maybe...However, it is very unlikely this left BG in that condition.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts but, stranger things have happened, why would someone spend good money to repair something that was still in warranty? Or why would a dealer try to fix something still in warranty and not report it (so they could get paid).

Think I might try to contact the original owner and ask.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilzer
Thanks for the thoughts but, stranger things have happened, why would someone spend good money to repair something that was still in warranty? Or why would a dealer try to fix something still in warranty and not report it (so they could get paid).

Think I might try to contact the original owner and ask.
Does it have the original stereo or any other kind of installed electrical? Are you sure it was only owned by one other person? Maybe something was removed in an effort to return it to stock as the least expired?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Does it have the original stereo or any other kind of installed electrical? Are you sure it was only owned by one other person? Maybe something was removed in an effort to return it to stock as the least expired?
Now that's a thought, maybe previous owner had a PAL hooked up at the access point on the driver's side wheel well and removed it. That could explain the cracked dash vent.

Last edited by Wilzer; 11-23-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,145 Likes on 713 Posts

GM bulliten discusses this so not too uncommon.

#PIC4168
Condition/Concern:
A customer concern for no HVAC mode operation or blower speed will not exceed 80% may occur. Further investigation will show any one of the following DTC, B0248 B0249 B0268 and/or B0269 for the air flow actuator circuit(s) out of range. This may be the result of a torn mode valve. This mode valve is the film sheet that travels around the HVAC case and allows air flow out of the HVAC case in all the correct mode positions. With the mode valve torn, it may allow the HVAC air flow actuator to travel out of range and set one of the DTC above.

Recommendation/Instructions:Inspect the HVAC mode valve. It will be necessary to remove the actuator and manually rotate to inspect a torn mode valve. This inspection can be made with a flashlight through the IP dash vents. Rotation of the mode valve can be accomplished with the mode actuator removed and placing a T40 socket in the mode shaft of the HVAC case and rotate the mode valve. If the mode valve is found to be torn, replace the mode valve as necessary.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Any ideas what tears the mode valve (now I know the correct name for it)
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Amish Bill
Intermediate

And.... Any idea when the orange part was replaced with the Grey part in the factory parts bins?

Quick Reply: If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble