C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Need advice on tires(non runflats)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Need advice on tires(non runflats)

I am fairly new to this forum, I am needing some tires for my C6 (2005) I have been looking on Discount Tire Direct website, and am discouraged . I do not want to spend the money for run flats, I have looked at Hankook, Continental, and Invo (Nitto) and read very good and very bad reviews for all of them. Also, why does my car get sideways when I punch it from a sit still? (really scared me!)
Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Welcome to the forum (although somehow, I'm getting the feeling this is a spoof) . .

For tires, use the search feature and entire the tire brand . ..or try key word "non-runflats" . . . you'll get more info more quickly than waiting for posts since the subject has been discussed frequently.

Why does the car go sideways under heavy acceleration ? You are kidding . . . . right ?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CQRT
Welcome to the forum (although somehow, I'm getting the feeling this is a spoof) . .

For tires, use the search feature and entire the tire brand . ..or try key word "non-runflats" . . . you'll get more info more quickly than waiting for posts since the subject has been discussed frequently.

Why does the car go sideways under heavy acceleration ? You are kidding . . . . right ?

no ,not kidding , I am a dumb blonde that has always driven a C5 that did not do this.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Michelins, Falkens, Kumho, Hangkook have heard good things about these non-runflats.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car is going side ways because your right foot is calling for more power than the rear tires can handle and you're causing them to spin. If you have a standard coupe, horsepower in the C6 is up 80 horses over the C5. That makes it easier to spin the tires. You aren't going to find any tires that your engine won't be able to overpower. You need to be more judicious with your right foot.

When buying tires remember that they are the only thing that keeps your car on the road. A tire is also always a compromise. Decide what's most important to you and look for the tire that best meets those needs. Tires for a Corvette are always going to be expensive, so you're going to have step up to that fact. I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my previous C5 and will be getting them for my C6 when its due for new tires.

- Mark
Old 12-19-2010, 05:19 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

You can get non - run flats if you carry a can of fix z flat that works with tire sensors!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:24 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For extremely quiet tires, try Toyo Proxes T1r. Great looking, wet/dry, ultra-high performance street tires designed exclusively for high-end sport sedans and coupes with good grip and a low price (< $900.)

Old 12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by COWGIRL
I am fairly new to this forum, I am needing some tires for my C6 (2005) I have been looking on Discount Tire Direct website, and am discouraged . I do not want to spend the money for run flats, I have looked at Hankook, Continental, and Invo (Nitto) and read very good and very bad reviews for all of them. Also, why does my car get sideways when I punch it from a sit still? (really scared me!)
So, as a woman, tell me if it is worth the little extra money for run-flats to NOT be stuck on the side of the road with a flat and no spare tire?

Your car gets sideways because the power-to-foot ratio is off. Don't punch it without perfect conditions, as it will go sideways, especially if you have Traction Control turned off.

BTW, is it true that even cowgirls get the blues?

Last edited by vettedoogie; 12-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard great things about the Conti's. They are priced very well too. Do a search. Someone on here just put them on. The only reason I went with the PS2 A/S is because I want a RF. If I didn't have to have a RF I would've went the the Continental tire.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vettedoogie

So, as a woman, tell me if it is worth the little extra money for run-flats to NOT be stuck on the side of the road with a flat and no spare tire?

Your car gets sideways because the power-to-foot ratio is off. Don't punch it without perfect conditions, as it will go sideways, especially if you have Traction Control turned off.

BTW, is it true that even cowgirls get the blues?
How about the Goodyear run flats, what do other vette owners w/ non run flats do... fix a flat? C'mon now, I am being serious. and by the way, Cowgirls do get the blues, but not very often.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

As for the tires, try pricing out some Firestone Wide Ovals. I would still recommend you run run-flats but that is your choice. FS are good tires and cost about half of the OEM GY's.

As for your car jumping sideways under hard acceleration, suggest you lighten up on your right foot
Old 12-19-2010, 06:31 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by keyplyr
For extremely quiet tires, try Toyo Proxes T1r. Great looking, wet/dry, ultra-high performance street tires designed exclusively for high-end sport sedans and coupes with good grip and a low price (< $900.)

OK, so who has these tires for 900 dollars? can you put the tire sensors in them , or is that a dumb question too?
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How about the Goodyear run flats, what do other vette owners w/ non run flats do... fix a flat? C'mon now, I am being serious. and by the way, Cowgirls do get the blues, but not very often.
They get a tire plug kit like this...and hope they don't ever have to use it.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_sku=134783

I know you are serious, I just wouldn't ever drive mine any real distance without runflats myself - unless it was at a track. To me it is beyond a money issue. Losing major air at speed is dangerous and runflats help maintain control. Good luck.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 12-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dpigguy
As for the tires, try pricing out some Firestone Wide Ovals. I would still recommend you run run-flats but that is your choice. FS are good tires and cost about half of the OEM GY's.

As for your car jumping sideways under hard acceleration, suggest you lighten up on your right foot
OK, do I need to take some driving lessons? I do not want to get out run by a pick up truck cause my car is too busy going sideways. Thanks for trying to help!:o
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, so who has these tires for 900 dollars? can you put the tire sensors in them , or is that a dumb question too?
The sensors can be used with any tire.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

OK, do I need to take some driving lessons? I do not want to get out run by a pick up truck cause my car is too busy going sideways. Thanks for trying to help!:o
I doubt the lessons are needed - just gain some respect for the power that your current ride has and with time you'll be launching with the best of them.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Different vendors sell Toyo Proxes T1r at different prices. Most are well under $900 for the set. Many vendors will include the sensors. If not they can be found for about $40 to $50 each. The shop where you have the tires mounted may also sell/install the sensors. Do some searches.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Need advice on tires(non runflats)

Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Different vendors sell Toyo Proxes T1r at different prices. Most are well under $900 for the set. Many vendors will include the sensors. If not they can be found for about $40 to $50 each. The shop where you have the tires mounted may also sell/install the sensors. Do some searches.

What size Toyo T1Rs are you running? It seems they only offer rears in a 35 aspect ratio in a 285 width (stock is 30) and no 275 front or rear 305 widths at all for oversized apps.

Great tire, but I can't seem to find the right sizes.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Seriously, depending on where you live, I would strongly recommend "driving" lessons, but of a certain kind. Namely, "high performance" driving lessons. I say this only because you seem to be having car control issues (not that you're truly losing control and spinning into a ditch, but that could be next).

If you haven't heard/read of Spring Mountain in Nevada, or Bondurant in Arizona, both of which are vendors on this forum (and may even offer discounts), I'd strongly commend them to you. I've been to one but not the other. What you learn is probably better than tires, or any other option you can buy on your car mainly because it's transferable. It goes with the driver from car to car.

And please understand this is not directed at you as a women. I've seen plenty of men who can't handle these cars either. Tires are a big deal to me for exactly the reasons you state. They are by a wide margin the most important thing on the car that effects handling, safety and acceleration.

You didn't buy a budget car, so don't buy a budget tire to put on it. Back in the C5 days (meaning before the C6 came out) there were limited options for runflat tires. Today there are much better choices.

I assumed I would put non-runflats on my current car - but I recently put Michelin PS2 ZP on it because they do not have the typical downsides we used to associate with runflats, but they won't leave me on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed either.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
COWGIRL
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
Seriously, depending on where you live, I would strongly recommend "driving" lessons, but of a certain kind. Namely, "high performance" driving lessons. I say this only because you seem to be having car control issues (not that you're truly losing control and spinning into a ditch, but that could be next).

If you haven't heard/read of Spring Mountain in Nevada, or Bondurant in Arizona, both of which are vendors on this forum (and may even offer discounts), I'd strongly commend them to you. I've been to one but not the other. What you learn is probably better than tires, or any other option you can buy on your car mainly because it's transferable. It goes with the driver from car to car.
Thanx, how about in ALABAMA?

Quick Reply: HELP! Need advice on tires(non runflats)