C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get 1 screw in tire then must replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Get 1 screw in tire then must replace it?

I wanted to get you guys opinions here. I just got 2 new firehawk indy 500 tires for the rear. I was talking to the tire technician and he was saying that IF I was to get say a srew or a nail in one of these low profile tires that I need to replace it and not repair it. That can get very expensive. He said because the tire looses it speed rating and ragidity. Can you guys elaborate on this is this true what he is saying?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

One thing he's telling you, in a round-about way, is that you should purchase the extra-cost road hazard protection. For about 10-15% of the cost of a new tire, you in effect purchase an insurance policy that will replace it if you pick up a nail or screw, or in some other way damange the tire that makes it unrepairable.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I wanted to get you guys opinions here. I just got 2 new firehawk indy 500 tires for the rear. I was talking to the tire technician and he was saying that IF I was to get say a srew or a nail in one of these low profile tires that I need to replace it and not repair it. That can get very expensive. He said because the tire looses it speed rating and ragidity. Can you guys elaborate on this is this true what he is saying?
Sorry, I've never heard of that. But then I'm not familiar with these specific tires either.

I wouldn't buy a tire that couldn't be repaired if the nail/screw was in a "repairable" place. I understand a tire can't be repaired if the injury is great or the puncture is in the wrong spot, but to make a general statement that if the tire was ever to pick up a nail it couldn't be repaired is a deal breaker for me.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got two flats with runflats and both time the tire was repaired. Of course the nail was close to center thread but the tech plugged the tire than removed it trimed the plug and patched it from the inside. Never had a problem
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Firestone wants you to buy a new tire if you get a nail or screw. I believe it says that on the sidewall. If you take it to a Firestone dealer they will probably refuse to repair it. If you go to a more reasonable independent shop they probably will repair it good as new.

Yes, the dealer you went to is probably just trying to sell you the road hazard policy that puts more money in his pocket. Whether you want to spend that money depends on whether you think you get more flats than average and can cover the insurance policy profit margin. The last time I had a tire patched was about 15 years ago on a tire that was over half worn out anyway so I wouldn't be able to cover the profit margin. If you can't afford to buy a tire (or 2) on the off chance you pick up a screw then you really can't afford to be driving a Corvette.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
.......If you can't afford to buy a tire (or 2) on the off chance you pick up a screw then you really can't afford to be driving a Corvette.
That's a little extreme, don't you think? The OP didn't say he couldn't afford new tires. He said that could get expensive. Even a millionaire wouldn't want to flip out $400 every time he gets a flat tire even though he can easily afford it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I have one nail repair in my Invo rear tire. I was told that they can only repair tire once.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Icebear
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct that the repair will derate the Z rating on the tire. But honestly are you planning to drive anywhere the rated speed? Of so you might want to upgrade the tires anyway. This does not just apply to the hawks, but any speed rated tire. Would be sure and use a good shop that will not just stick a plug in and say good. Tire should be dismounted, inspected and correct patch/plug installed.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had Firehawks on each of my last four 'Vettes C-4 to C-6 and have been more than satisfied. Having said that, I have / would never "plug" a speed rated tire. If the puncture isn't in or near the sidewall it can be patched. The proper way is to dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. If the tire tech is competent it won't even require rebalancing the tire.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was another thread about Firestone wide ovals a while back. Someone posted a pic of the tire and it says clearly on the sidewall, DO NOT REPAIR. I do not believe i would buy a tire if it stated on the tire that it could not be repaired.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
The firestones say replace if you have a flat not to repair this is on the sidewall i believe backside.
z51vett
Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

FWIW here is what the tire Mfr's say about tire repairs (attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
RMA wallchart.repairs.pdf (152.8 KB, 184 views)
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
That's a little extreme, don't you think? The OP didn't say he couldn't afford new tires. He said that could get expensive. Even a millionaire wouldn't want to flip out $400 every time he gets a flat tire even though he can easily afford it.
I agree! The comment that if the OP could not afford tires, therefore, shouldn't drive a Corvette is more than extreme!!

Elaine
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by EVRose
It would be such a better place if people would keep the sarcastic remarks to themselves.

I did buy the road protection plan and so far I have not had to use it. City driving I'd say go for it. Country or rural driving, Maybe. Good Luck and Happy Holidays to all
Old 12-29-2010, 01:36 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Any tire can be repaired as long as the screw is not in the sidewall. I took a screw in my goodyears at 3k, and they ran fine until I replaced them at 25k
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by rothchilds
Any tire can be repaired as long as the screw is not in the sidewall. I took a screw in my goodyears at 3k, and they ran fine until I replaced them at 25k
I disagree. That is a completely misleading and erroneous statement re any tire can be repaired.

If you look at the PDF supplied by k24 as an attachment in the left-hand column, blue section labeled Important, the third paragraph clearly states:

"Some runflat technology tires cannot be repaired. Consult tire mfr. for their policy...."

Just trying to be clear in what is stated as fact.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:45 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

I have had a couple of nails in my RF. Both times Discount Tire did the repair by taking tire off and putting an inside plug/patch repair. It keeps the tire rating that way. It seals the hole so no moisture can get to the cords. If nail is in the sidewall, no repair is possible. That is the way the Goodyear store will also do a repair. It is possible to repair a simple nail hole with the old plug style, but it void the speed rating. That can be done in an emergency say on an older tire to get you to place to buy new tire. Discount Tire knows how to handle RF's I have found out.

Get notified of new replies

To Get 1 screw in tire then must replace it?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
margin. If you can't afford to buy a tire (or 2) on the off chance you pick up a screw then you really can't afford to be driving a Corvette.
Dumb statement. The OP just wants his money's worth out of his tires which is smart IMHO.

Patch em.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

goodyear will replace it for FREE.....

Quick Reply: Get 1 screw in tire then must replace it?