C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Harmonic Balancer Issues...
I've had or currently have issues-replaced or will replace balancer
51.15%
No issues what so ever-still have stock balancer
46.18%
Don't care... I drive it like I stole it
2.67%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Harmonic Balancer Issues... whose got'em

Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I did. Chirped like a bird. Replaced it with an under drive pulley. Back on the road happy again!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I'm a picture *****. Here is a picture of my ATI
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
donfievet
Intermediate

After taking my '07 LS2 into Carmax the first time to have them look at a balancer & power steering pulley wobble they said both were normal. I got a second opinion at Speedsouth in Pelham AL. They recommended replacing both even though the balancer pulley was within spec. I took it back to Carmax & asked them to replace just the ps pulley which they did along with some other items I asked them to address plus they found some other issues & addressed them. Overall I'm happy with them. Here's what I found wrong with the vehicle that they handled at no cost to me 8)

I found the Front Air Dam Center piece seperated - replaced & issue resolved
I found the Driver side floor mat connector broken - replaced & issue resolved
I found the brake fluid was dirty they flushed & refilled - issue resolved
They had to flush & refill coolant during some of this work
They found a cut intake boot behind MAF causing unmetered air leak - replaced part damaged
I found the ps pulley wobble - replaced & issue resolved

When I get the time I'll probably ask a local dealer if they will warranty repair the balancer pulley. I'll post my results.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDs_C6
Good question... I believe the only reports I've seen of issues are on LS2's. Not sure if any LS1's had this problem or not, but it appears they can use the same balancer as the LS2's. It would be interesting to see if any LS3's or LS7's had issues.
D
An issue on LS1's as well. I replaced the stocker on my 2000 FRC for a Powerbond pulley and didn't look back. THE GM ONE IS A COMPLETE PIECES OF JUNK - PERIOD!!!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pistons-n-Pearls
I'm the Corvette tech at my GM dealership and have seen a good handful of these balancers that wobble. I just replaced one on an 06 along with the tensioner and water pump and alternator. She waited too long to figure out what the noise was and by the time she brought the vette in, the vibration had killed the tensioner leading to the bearing failing on the waterpump which killed her alternator.
If you replace it yourself, it will take a while on your back. The best way is to fish the steering rack out and renmove the ABS pump bracket, (not the pump!!). Some of the balancers may have an occasional weight on the inside of the hub and will require the weight in the exact same spot on the new one. Make sure to note by marking your crank and hub how you took off the old one. THIS IS CRUCIAL per GM!!!
Last but not least, make sure to use a new crank bolt!

Yes, the crank bolt is strictly a one shot deal.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Malco
Instructor

I bought my 07 Coupe (LS2) from a Chevy dealer in Jersey Dec. 2010 Had belt noise. Took it to Vette Doctor. Bad balancer. Took it to Atlantic Chevy fixed under warranty. I forgot 11200 miles.
Mal

Last edited by Malco; 04-25-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had to change the one on my 2005 at 20k. replaced it with an Slp underdrive. Pain in the butt, but worth it.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by truckplay
I had to change the one on my 2005 at 20k. replaced it with an Slp underdrive. Pain in the butt, but worth it.
Did you change it or have a shop do it? What did it involve?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did it myself. I loosed the engine cradle, unbolted & moved the rack up out of the way & wiggled the pulley off & in, its a pain because you have no room & the puller I had was clumsy to work with. Took me @ 3 hours. Make sure you use a new bolt, which came with the pulley & plenty of loctite!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
steve m baker
Racer

I've got 14K on my 05 M6. I was just under it the other day with the engine running and it was perfectly true. I mean absolutely no wobble at all. And the VIN# fits into the problem area too. I checked the service records and nothing has been done to it by GM. (I bought it in 06 with 7K miles on it.) I was going to change it out with an underdrive pulley but after checking it out closer I believe I'll let it go for now.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by steve m baker
I've got 14K on my 05 M6. I was just under it the other day with the engine running and it was perfectly true. I mean absolutely no wobble at all. And the VIN# fits into the problem area too. I checked the service records and nothing has been done to it by GM. (I bought it in 06 with 7K miles on it.) I was going to change it out with an underdrive pulley but after checking it out closer I believe I'll let it go for now.
I have on 05 also with 13k on it and it is also in the affected VIN# range.Mine also runs true. If I never would have read this forum it would not even be a thought in my mind. After reading posts in here I have to worry about the harmonic balancer, dead battery syndrome, leaking pan gaskets, cracked rockers at the dealer, getting a catch can, not having a catch can, what terrible seats I have, the weak 05 rear end, and on and on. If it wasn't for everything I read on this forum I would have thought my car was perfect and wouldn't be worried about anything..

Last edited by R&L's C6; 04-27-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
steve m baker
Racer

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have on 05 also with 13k on it and it is also in the affected VIN# range.Mine also runs true. If I never would have read this forum it would not even be a thought in my mind. After reading posts in here I have to worry about the harmonic balancer, dead battery syndrome, leaking pan gaskets, cracked rockers at the dealer, getting a catch can, not having a catch can, what terrible seats I have, the weak 05 rear end, and on and on. If it wasn't for everything I read on this forum I would have thought my car was perfect and wouldn't be worried about anything..
Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 PM
ateam311
Racer

2006 MZ6. Had issues @ 45k miles (3k miles ago) and had to get the pulley replaced. Started wobbling and ripping through belts pretty fast.

$500 in parts and labor thanks to the help of a fellow forum member + mechanic I know personally. Replaced w/ SLP pulley and so far, so good.

Edit: link of HB wobbling. Good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIy7g...&feature=inbox
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

I checked my '07 this winter and no problems.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Tom (02-23-2021)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by B-Vette
An issue on LS1's as well. I replaced the stocker on my 2000 FRC for a Powerbond pulley and didn't look back. THE GM ONE IS A COMPLETE PIECES OF JUNK - PERIOD!!!!!
Originally Posted by B-Vette
Yes, the crank bolt is strictly a one shot deal.
Been there done that (in my garage!)

Just another reminder to MAKE SURE you guys that are having this done at a dealer especially that you check to make sure a new Crank Bolt is used. How many stories do we read here where Dealers can't even do a correct oil change on a dry sump LSx motor.... and now how they can be expected to perform a major repair like this without F**N it up is beyond me
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

For those people looking at potential aftermarket pulleys I can comment, (from direct experience) on these two candidates:

ASP - Replaced GM stocker for this one and it almost went through the hood. Yes, a new bolt was used, yes, it was torqued correctly, yes, we used a flywheel clamp, yes it was installed by a Master GM Technician.

Powerbond - Replaced ASP model for this one on a recommendation from TJ Wong, Texas Speed and Scoggin Dickey Parts Center. They were correct - one of the best manufactured these days - if not the best.

DickieDoo (02-23-2021)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Regarding engine balance on Wixom built engines:

Front balancer and flywheel (& crankshaft) are balanced by supplier. They are drilled as needed by supplier to meet balance specs for their part.

At Wixom each complete engine is run on our balance stand. If adjustment is required we install small weights in holes of balancer or flywheel as needed. All engines are balanced to within 0.5 in. oz. at flywheel and balancer before being shipped to Bowling Green.
OPENRUP (05-01-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Issues... whose got'em

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had a harmonic balalncer issue on my 1 week old 2011 coupe. After 4 tries to fix it I gave up and dumped the car. Still not sure if it ever got fixed. I've had other Vettes with issues that were worked out, but GM did not want to step up to the plate on this one.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
bryan_p
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCW
Be aware that all LSx balancers wobble. If the balancer isn't moving out toward the steering rack, don't worry about it.

I'll bet the noise you hear is a belt tensioner bearing going bad. Worst case is the alternator going bad.

Tom
I have an 06 convertible which is exhibiting the serpentine chirping noise. I noticed that the balancer has a slight wobble. I don't know if it has always been this way. How much wobble can I expect to see? Can I determine if I have a bad balancer by removing the belt and wiggling the pulley, looking for excessive play?

Thanks,
Bryan.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
bryan_p
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCW
Be aware that all LSx balancers wobble. If the balancer isn't moving out toward the steering rack, don't worry about it.

Tom
I disagree. This makes no sense to me. A device which is designed to dampen harmonic vibrations should be true! A rotating disk which wobbles, generates oscillations perpendicular to the plane of rotation. Not to mention the stresses applied to the belts and driven components. Imagine what is going on under the hood at 6000 rpm! There should be no visible wobble.

I finally brought my '06 to the dealer and one look at the wobbling balancer elicited the response, "Holy crap, I've never seen that before! You've gotta get that fixed!"

No sh**!

So next comes the quote for $500 in parts and $800 in labour for a whopping total of...Well, you can add. And of course there's no 5yr powertrain warranty on '06's.

The car only has 40,000 km (25000 mi) on it. I don't race it. I don't even rev it over 5K rpm!! Very disheartening and my wife is going to kill me - "I know this car is an extravagance, Dear, but it will easily give us 10 years of troublefree fun!"

After a few phone calls I discovered something VERY interesting regarding the GM stock part! The part number I was given by my dealer was GM12635652. Apparently, GM Canada has ZERO inventory of this part. So I phone a dealer in Ogdensburg NY and I was quoted $230US (less than half the price quoted by my dealer - given our dollar's parity with the US this is really annoying but I digress) and guess what - GM US has ZERO inventory of this part as well!!

This is highly suspect given that the LS2 is used in a host of vehicles including the Pontiac GTO, a number of Holden (Australia) vehicles, Cadillac CTS-V, Trailblazer and even Saab. So, either there has been a rash of repairs which has depleted inventory or GM has pulled the part off of it's shelves in order to assess their early failures. In either case this gives me hope that a GM hidden warranty (Goodwill Assistance) will be forthcoming.

B.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Issues... whose got'em