C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With the top off a GS coupe do you guys experience bad wind buffering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Bob 2011GS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the top off a GS coupe do you guys experience bad wind buffering?

Getting ready to order a GS coupe and I was wondering if this car has a lot of wind buffering with the top off? I did test drive a coupe with the top off last fall and liked the open air feeling but I was just driving on city streets at low speeds. What have you guys experienced at highway speeds? Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Depends on how tall you are. The buffetting is there if you are over 6'. Coupe or vert, it's gonna be windy!
Enjoy it!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

It is bad, on all C6's is it not? You cannot leave the passenger side seatbelt unhooked or it will flail against everything like crazy.

This is a big reason my next Corvette will probably be a vert.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
C6GrandSport10
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt bother me, NPP's open cover up the sound.

All kidding aside, if the coupe top is removed and you are driving above 40mph its going to be windy and loud and there is no way around that. I guess it would vary from person to person what "loud" actually is.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not a fan of the top off on the freeway (just too loud and dirty), but on a nice back road or tooling around the neighborhood, it's nice! I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way down as low as it can go (my normal driving position) it's not that windy. The sun visor's seem to just push the air right over you.

With the side windows up, you have a nice fairly calm cabin...with them down, it's pretty windy, but not unduly so. Lighter objects in the trunk want to blow out (like hats!), so exercise some caution there.

If that's appealing to you, consider going 3LT so you get the heated seats....it's nice if it's a bit chilly out to just turn on the seat heaters and the heater...you sit in a nice warm pocket of air, and still feel the cool air rushing over your head (likewise running the AC in the sun!).
Old 02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
VetteNGT500
Racer

I turn the stereo up

Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I sometimes experience very loud Buffeting, even with the top on

Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Kontra06
Racer

I have a lowly base coupe and my dome hits the halo if I don't 'slump'
over. Buffeting? Yep. Do I care? Nope!

As GranSport10 alluded to... A healthy exhaust note will cover up a lot of the wind noise.

I wear a cover (aka a hat) when I drive with the top removed and I carry a bottle of SPF 50
for when I forget the 'lid'.

Last edited by Kontra06; 02-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The G/S is no different than the standard coupe, and I found the buffeting so annoying even at low speeds that I never remove the top. I have the transparent top because of its superior looks from the outside, but even then leave an aftermarket padded cloth headliner in place year around because it looks better from the inside, helps quite the interior and cuts down on thermal heat. If you want open air driving I would go with the convertible, the downsides being downgraded appearance with the top up, loss of half the storage space, increased risk of skin cancer with the top down in the sun, and less security.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Make sure you glue on your toupee real good.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything is relative; with two up touring on my Harley,the Vette seems really quiet with top off!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

My thoughts exactly.
Originally Posted by sprtplt
It is bad, on all C6's is it not? You cannot leave the passenger side seatbelt unhooked or it will flail against everything like crazy.

This is a big reason my next Corvette will probably be a vert.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have both a coupe and a vert. I find it more comfortable to drive the coupe with the top off in a much wider variety of temperatures and road speeds than the vert. For lower speed cruising on a beautiful day I would give a slight edge to the vert, but overall I prefer the coupe. I don't really like driving the vert at highways speeds with the top down, but I don't mind driving the coupe with the top off on the highway. BTW no windows up for me with the top off or the top down.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

The buffering is terrible. I don't drive the car with the top off very much just because of the irritation. :AC:
Old 02-18-2011, 12:04 AM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yea it is windy on the freeway..around town its fine.....

I could care less though I like the wind on a nice summer day...makes me feel alive. I just crank the radio and I'm living the dream.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Derekdo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
I have both a coupe and a vert. I find it more comfortable to drive the coupe with the top off in a much wider variety of temperatures and road speeds than the vert. For lower speed cruising on a beautiful day I would give a slight edge to the vert, but overall I prefer the coupe. I don't really like driving the vert at highways speeds with the top down, but I don't mind driving the coupe with the top off on the highway. BTW no windows up for me with the top off or the top down.
Heard the vert had less wind noise and buffeting than the coupe on the freeway? Very intersting to hear this, since I had a GS coupe and drove around all the time with the top off and thought it was pretty nice. It also felt great on a cool night with the heater on and the seat heaters going as someone else posted. WIth the NPP valve opened, it was pretty sweet.

Then someone told me the vert was an even better cruiser in terms of wind noise/ buffeting... but I;ve never owned one so couldn't say from first hand experience.

Only asking since I was looking at the 2011 GS coupes and verts as a fun car in addition to the Z06, and would love feedback on this...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I have a coupe but never take the top off. I also have a vert and its such an enjoyable driving experience especially up here in the mountains. the wind and noise dont bother me although the wife has commented she gets a headache from it.

Get notified of new replies

To With the top off a GS coupe do you guys experience bad wind buffering?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

A hatch vent device will help almost eliminate this problem. I used one on my C4 from this guy and it worked perfectly.

http://www.corvettegadgetman.com/products7.html

Simple, well-made and reasonably priced.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Shouldn't be any different than the buffeting in a C5 Coupe or for that matter a C4 Coupe. With the windows down and the top on driving a C4, C5 or C6 coupe you will get a lot of wind noise but not much buffeting. I have driven all 3 at triple digit speeds and have videos with a lot of that noise at those speeds. If you take the top off you start to get some severe buffeting at highway speeds. You can feel it feel it more than you can hear it. That is why the aftermarket suppliers developed a hatch lift device for the C4 that lifts and holds the rear hatch window up an inch or two. Once that is done the buffeting goes away but you still have the wind noise. Not sure but they may also have something similar for the C5 and C6 coupes although it would be more complicated due to those models having two hatch latches Vs one for the C4.

Bill
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 AM
VetteRulz
Instructor

The buffeting gets bad at speeds above 55mph. At 60-65mph it is very annoying. Anything above 65mph it becomes intolerable.

Quick Reply: With the top off a GS coupe do you guys experience bad wind buffering?