C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler delete pipe in DFW

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
VictoryVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler delete pipe in DFW

So after a couple hours driving around town being referred from one muffler shop to the next I still have not found a shop that has the knowledge or equipment to bend a pipe. I currently have the magnaflow exhaust system with x- pipe and needless to say its a little on the quiet side. My goal for today was to have a shop bend a pipe that will go from the over axle pipe to the tips removing the mufflers entirely, but still be able to use the magnaflow exhaust clamps so that it can be interchanged with the mufflers (so NO welding). Has anyone here done this to their exhaust? if so maybe a picture of the install? Also anyone know of an muffler shop in dfw that is capable of this? Thanks in advance.

Brandon
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 AM
VictoryVette
Instructor

Any takers?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I imagine you would have to find one with a tubing bender and then they would have to somebody capable of doing the bends properly. Are there any legal questions in your area with what you want to do? Muffler shops cannot remove the cats or replace them without being subject to some extreme fines. They may not want to get involved with a muffler elimination.

Bill
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mufflers don't affect emissions, so I don't see that as being a problem. Sounds like too much work for not enough $$ for them to bother with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
VictoryVette
Instructor

Every place I went to had a pipe bender, but none had a mandrel pipe bender, appears that they aren't that common due to their high start up price. The general claim is that they wouldn't be able to bend the 90s due to the angle. I even had 1 shop tell me that they might be able to do it but their pipe would ROT off within a year?? Never heard of anything like that before...
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Picking up a used axle-back system (with small/no mufflers) may be worth considering...

Bullet

Loudmouth

It's tough to look at those pipes and imagine being able to simply swap out the mufflers using only clamps. It would probably be just as easy to swap the whole axle-back setup.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
VictoryVette
Instructor

This is the part I am looking to have made boxed in red.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That far back in the exhaust system I doubt will make a hill of beans difference if it's mandrel bent or not as far as flow is concerned. Might not be as pretty, but only you and your muffler guy will be the only ones that see it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
VictoryVette
Instructor

I agree 100 percent with you, and i really dont care how its bent, it was the muffler shop that suggested a mandrel bend because their crush bender cant perform at that angle. But now thanks to Markrx who uploaded that picture i finally have something to show the shop when i go back in. maybe if they can visualize it on paper they can bend it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Let us know how it comes out please...and post some pics of it before they install it please.

How much are they wanting to charge? ...or let us know what they charge after they do it.

I bet it's going to sound great!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
VictoryVette
Instructor

I will keep ya posted. I didn't have time today and im on shift tomorrow but I am going to try to go on Thursday.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:07 AM
prtperformance
1st Gear

too bad you're a few months too early... i could have made that on my mandrel bender...
Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
Let us know how it comes out please...and post some pics of it before they install it please.

How much are they wanting to charge? ...or let us know what they charge after they do it.

I bet it's going to sound great!
Originally Posted by VictoryVette
I will keep ya posted. I didn't have time today and im on shift tomorrow but I am going to try to go on Thursday.
Being in Texas, I'd also like to know what they charged and if you had trouble legally with the operation. How did it turn out and how much did it cost?

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler delete pipe in DFW

Quick Reply: Muffler delete pipe in DFW