C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005-2007 C6 Key Fobs UPGRADE SOLUTION!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Spend $100 + dollars just so you don't have a key on the fob that is in your pocket that no one sees anyway. What am I missing.
Please this is Corvette Forum. Where we have people who spend $100 on a "Corvette" sticker or license plate cover just to put the word "Corvette" in another viewable place on their Corvette. As if the entire world needs to see another "Corvette" label to finally figure out that you are driving a Corvette.

This upgrade on the other hand, makes the keyring I carry everyday much smaller and much more comfortable in pockets. It's a true convenience and well worth the $100 investment.

Originally Posted by Mr Lex
this is so much smaller and better than carrying around the old set. Old set is so bulky, a key and a fob! it makes more sense to put them together like this ...

i think of the pull out key inside the fob as my emergency key ....as it is hardly rarely ever used. i assure you ...you will be very happy with this upgrade....

lastly ...make sure the locksmith puts the new copied key in the same direction as skeleton....because the key has grooves that acts as tracks...it can only slide in one way. You would hate to have your key slide in on the wrong side, thus not closing your fob.
I completely understand where you are coming from. As the bulky design & extra key are probably my biggest complaints about the entire vehicle. While other guys are unhappy they spent $50K and dont have leather on the rear view mirror lol.. I'm unhappy because I have this is big azz key fob & key digging into my damn leg all day long. And god forbid you try and just carry the fob (and leave the physical key at home) because it will be the day your battery dies and you stuck far away from home.

I applaud your effort, and look very forward to the pics. As upgrading to the 2008+ fob was something I've wanted to do since the day I bought my '07.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Stickman07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Mr Lex
Intermediate

Default Pictures

These are what the keys look like.... all you have to do is unscrew the "key" from the baseplate .... and put in your own copied key with the head cut off. ....

DONE!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Toney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally a solution!

Thanks! Saving this for a rainy day project.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
mfern6
Intermediate

what needs to be done to "program" the new FOB? Do you purchase it with any type of programing on it?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know why anyone would want the new style fobs. The design of them is junk, and they crack and break and fall apart the first time you try to open them up and change the battery in them. And once the little plastic clips break off the two halves won't stay together and then they become useless and you have to buy new ones. You'll be lucky if you can replace the batteries in them more than once without busting them.

I'd also recommend you not post photos of your keys on the internet. I could easily get keys cut to match your car by simply printing out those photos and scaling them to the proper size.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Mr Lex
Intermediate

Default Programming

Originally Posted by mfern6
what needs to be done to "program" the new FOB? Do you purchase it with any type of programing on it?

The instructions are in the owners manual on how to add in a new FOB.. you can only have a total of 4 FOBs assigned at once though ... In my case I have 3 assigned. Remember each FOB is associated with your settings such as seat memory, mirror position, climate control, radio preset, HUD ...etc ...if applicable etc

Some cars have problems programming the FOBs ...but detailed instructions are on this forum to bypass these problems ... its not hard at all
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Mr Lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RainMan12
I don't know why anyone would want the new style fobs. The design of them is junk, and they crack and break and fall apart the first time you try to open them up and change the battery in them. And once the little plastic clips break off the two halves won't stay together and then they become useless and you have to buy new ones. You'll be lucky if you can replace the batteries in them more than once without busting them.

I'd also recommend you not post photos of your keys on the internet. I could easily get keys cut to match your car by simply printing out those photos and scaling them to the proper size.
I've had the new FOB for over 2 years ...no problem.. but you can't be all rough in opening it to change the battery.

IF there was a real problem, like what you're saying ...evidently all the manufacturers that use keys like these would not have continually used them over the past 4-5 years ... I've seen a lot of keys with the style like these ...in all Cadillac models etc

and If you noticed ...these are not pictures of MY keys ...these are pictures from a dealer!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Do a search on here and you'll find many reports of broken clam shell fobs. It happens frequently. There are tiny plastic tabs inside that hold the two halves together, and many times they break off when taking them apart. Once they do, you're hosed.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Lex

These are what the keys look like.... all you have to do is unscrew the "key" from the baseplate .... and put in your own copied key with the head cut off. ....

DONE!
Great job. Nice to see the finished product and I cant tell a difference. Not to mention the physical key is a backup solution anyways, that doesnt need to be super elegant.. just available in emergency situations. I'll give this a try later in the summer, when I have a bit more time to dedicate to the project.

Guess I need to go ahead and order the '08 fob/key from Gene of GM Parts house!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

The only problem with this design is if you accidentally lock the fob in the car you've locked the key to get in the hatch in the car too.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Personally, I like the older style fob better than the new one, for some of the reasons above, but this was a well done and documented post with good pics for people who like the newer fob design. For programming, I'll post the thread I did long ago which has lots of good tips and tricks from many, many forum members. One trick also for snapping open and snapping closed either fob design is to make sure that the fob is warm before doing it. The plastic is much less likely to crack if this is done.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

Last edited by cclive; 04-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
xxvanzantxx
4th Gear

Default hey

I programed mine today and it works perfect!!!! THANKS FOR YOUR POST
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
turbo2001
Burning Brakes

Default fob

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Spend $100 + dollars just so you don't have a key on the fob that is in your pocket that no one sees anyway. What am I missing.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased one of these. The key is extremely difficult to remove from the baseplate even after taking out the screw. Any suggestions as how to get the key off the plate without damaging the baseplate?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: 2005-2007 C6 Key Fobs UPGRADE SOLUTION!