C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed the Vette at Homestead :( Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Since no one else said it...I will. Looks like nothing Zaino can't fix. But, seriously...sorry about your crash. I would think if you are going to track it....I would improve on the stock braking system. Good Luck
I was going to Fly Wolfdogs down to Zaino it for me,

I have upgraded from my stock Z51 brakes, I put Z06 brakes, stainless lines, Carbotech pads, and SRF fluid along with High temp silicone brake cooling hose hooked to spindle ducts.
I think it was down to not being able to flush all the old brown fluid out. Thats getting taken care of too.

Last edited by mcandrew67; 02-28-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

In the grand scheme of things:

That sure was a small price for a big day of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
c6coop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The picture of you sitting on the hood says it all!
Glad you are ok and have plans to get back out there!
Car was/is awsome!
coop
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dad, thanks for letting me take your Vette out for a drive!!! It was great..., but I had one little problem while I was out..., "nothing major" though.

[/QUOTE]

Damage: Nothing major.
front bumper,
scratches on fender,
lost fog light,
scratches on headlight,
minor scratches on hood,
scratches down door and rear quarter,
broke drivers mirror too,
trashed carbon fiber splitter
and drivers side carbon fiber skirt
Broke radiator support, can easily be welded on.
Bottom plug on radiator broke backwards, still attached, can probably be welded back on.
Will get a 4 wheel alignment,
will need wiring harness for lights.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BoosterClub
I know this is inevitably going to aggravate you, and I wasn't there, but you did post a video and it's pretty clear this is not what happened. Or at least not as innocently.

If you lost your brakes and entered the corner hot why would you stay to the inside like that instead of tracking out to lose momentum, additionally you should turn in late in that situation. Also you can also clearly hear you getting back on the throttle after the apex. It looks like a pretty clear case of power over without correction.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's pretty easy to do in a vette even for a highly skilled driver. There is something wrong with not acknowledging it though.

This was my first impression too. I did not post my initial thoughts.

Back end came around.

Really looks like a lot of fun. What happened to you is why I will not track. Too expensive to maintain. Just cause I do not track does not mean I am oblivious to speed and momentum. Lots of 33 years drivinf tractor and trailer on a lot of curvy roads, at speeds of 50 to 70 mph.

Ya I know that is slow but with 80,000 lbs behind me and 60 feet long there does exist some momentum. One can not correct if to fast into a turn with SET UP LIKE I DESCRIBED. Problem is that the inertia at the rear is stronger than you entry speed inertia in the front. Not by much, but when on the edge that trailer likes to whip some...OH YA fun time. I experienced some nightmares after pulling some of these mistakes off. Had lots of time to practice.

All about set up and entry speed with the carve you expect to take> Hit that spot and speed and hold the course, any correction will send vehicle off line and compounded by length and weight will usually be a Bad Day.

Sometimes I have thought that some time driving big trucks would help drivers in other vehicles.

It is a rush to have 60 feet of 80,000 lbs trailing behind your while traveling at the edge and carving a nice sweep 90 degree turn.

Sorry to get off on a tangent.

Thanks to the OP for posting the video, you have the right attitude.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Hey Dad, thanks for letting me take your Vette out for a drive!!! It was great..., but I had one little problem while I was out..., "nothing major" though.

Damage: Nothing major.
front bumper,
scratches on fender,
lost fog light,
scratches on headlight,
minor scratches on hood,
scratches down door and rear quarter,
broke drivers mirror too,
trashed carbon fiber splitter
and drivers side carbon fiber skirt
Broke radiator support, can easily be welded on.
Bottom plug on radiator broke backwards, still attached, can probably be welded back on.
Will get a 4 wheel alignment,
will need wiring harness for lights.[/QUOTE]

K that made me laugh.... to me nothing major is like having to rebuild the engine, frame damage, transmission... etc

I already did a widebody for fun, so now I just have to replace the front bumper and get some paint work and a lil welding done....
BUT I do see your point if your Kid came home and said that
Thanks for the laugh, I have been beating myself up
Old 02-28-2011, 06:24 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 393 Likes on 247 Posts

I know how track excursions can suck, and you'll likely play it back in your mind a few thousand times to analyze. The important thing is that you were not hurt seriously. Too many people seem to forget that, even though it's the most important.

Build your car back up, bigger and better.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM
XxWarEaglexX
Advanced

Thats sucks such a beautiful car. Atleast your ok.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dude - that will totally buff right out

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Nearly all of us who track cars for any significant period oftime have been there to one degree or another.

You did have plenty of run-out area on theright there off the line, so if you had more experience you probably could have saved the car by going off line and staying towards track right plus staying off throttle and just coasting it even if you had to go off track a bit, at least there were no walls in that direction. But don't blame yourself at all for making the mistake with your inexperience. Hard lesson. And a C6 is a really challenging car to learn track driving because it is so darn fast so you are pushing speeds that can get out of hand in a real hurry.

Glad you were OK. I got to the point that I stopped taking street cars to the track, although after going all the way up to dedicated spec class racing with NASA, now I am back to the point that my C6 is my only track-capable car and I'm sure it will see some light action at some point... Respect the car! It's a good one, but one that will bite back too!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Thanks Guys

see there was a reason I wasn't meant to have that.....
hurry fast, send me that rear diffuser before you wear it out... I will save it like I did the radiator support... .
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is wow... Hey, if you need your back worked on, shoot me a PM, I'm in Miramar. Awesome video by the way.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Glad your ok.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The good news is your OK & the car can be fixed...however I'd like to offer a suggestion....

Did you ever try Drag Racing been doing it for 40 + yrs, thousands of trips down the 1/4 mile, & never put a scratch on the Vette..& even won some nice $$$ on several occasions!!

Yes I've gone through a few Transmissions, & rear ends.. but thankfully NO body work !!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I was going to Fly Wolfdogs down to Zaino it for me,

I have upgraded from my stock Z51 brakes, I put Z06 brakes, stainless lines, Carbotech pads, and SRF fluid along with High temp silicone brake cooling hose hooked to spindle ducts.
I think it was down to not being able to flush all the old brown fluid out. Thats getting taken care of too.
do it! Im there!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, damn glad you are ok man... car can be repaired. I know this wont stop you either, I admire your track spirit!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
The good news is your OK & the car can be fixed...however I'd like to offer a suggestion....

Did you ever try Drag Racing been doing it for 40 + yrs, thousands of trips down the 1/4 mile, & never put a scratch on the Vette..& even won some nice $$$ on several occasions!!

Yes I've gone through a few Transmissions, & rear ends.. but thankfully NO body work !!
my bet is that he's a track guy...broh. its a totally different ball game too. In fact, you dont need the fastest car/most horse power & torque to win.....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVE MC
David, sorry to see this happen to your car. Glad your OK man.

I was waiting for the F-Bombs after the car came to a halt.
Either you have great self control or you edited them out.
Good luck with the repairs.
couldn't have said it any better ... i know my limits and I would have been stringing new combinations together like no tomorrow! Hey man, you've got my respect for the run (passing everyone), the post (humility is a big thing!) and your health!! Time to buy another car ... I suppose the CarFax on yours will also be 'clean'???!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I have some roadracing experience many years ago (on motorcycles) and while not at the same financial impact, I can certainly sympathize for what you must fee like after that happened.

THANK you very much for handling this with dignity and accepting the consequences!

Get notified of new replies

To Crashed the Vette at Homestead :( Video

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by spinalator
All I can say is wow... Hey, if you need your back worked on, shoot me a PM, I'm in Miramar. Awesome video by the way.
May do that, been having back problems before this too.
Originally Posted by jpee

Not really.... I am a road course guy..
Originally Posted by wolfdogs
my bet is that he's a track guy...broh. its a totally different ball game too. In fact, you dont need the fastest car/most horse power & torque to win.....
Nail on the head Ken... Hopefully get my car back better than it was before the track event.
Originally Posted by Greenwnv
couldn't have said it any better ... i know my limits and I would have been stringing new combinations together like no tomorrow! Hey man, you've got my respect for the run (passing everyone), the post (humility is a big thing!) and your health!! Time to buy another car ... I suppose the CarFax on yours will also be 'clean'???!!!
Thanks Don't plan on selling but if I ever do I will document all the repairs.
Originally Posted by jschindler
I have some roadracing experience many years ago (on motorcycles) and while not at the same financial impact, I can certainly sympathize for what you must fee like after that happened.

THANK you very much for handling this with dignity and accepting the consequences!
Thanks Jim, appreciate that,
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey, what a bad day! Your ok and walked away which is what counts. Your car will be good as new .
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

David, I am so sorry dude!! Thankfully you weren't hurt! Did this happen the Saturday after I saw you???

Quick Reply: Crashed the Vette at Homestead :( Video