C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Default $45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?

Just finish reading an article in Febs. R and T Magazine about Chrysler and Dodge's "comeback" with a very well redesigned line up for 2011/12. The highlight of the article touches on Chryslers' interest on better quality materials now used in their new cars at an average cost of $107 per unit over their 2010 models.The official was quoted that the difference between the 09 and 10/11 interior fit and finish is "much improved".Also as I would assume,as an" In the know person", he also stated within the article that the difference between a ZR1 interior and the quality of a Porsche 911 interior was about $45.00 He did not state which trim level but let's say for the sake of argument he's refering to the 4LZ trim. Still IMO not a night and day difference between the 3 and 4LZ but from what I've seen and sat in ,there is a world of difference in quality between the Corvette interior in any trim and a Porsche 911's.What say you with regard to the interest of higher quality for a C7 interior without the Corvette tax? If someone can post a link to this article for all to read I'd appreciate that.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

$45 hard to believe...if it is true, it kinda pisses me off.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Just finish reading an article in Febs. R and T Magazine about Chrysler and Dodge's "comeback" with a very well redesigned line up for 2011/12. The highlight of the article touches on Chryslers' interest on better quality materials now used in their new cars at an average cost of $107 per unit over their 2010 models.The official was quoted that the difference between the 09 and 10/11 interior fit and finish is "much improved".Also as I would assume,as an" In the know person", he also stated within the article that the difference between a ZR1 interior and the quality of a Porsche 911 interior was about $45.00 He did not state which trim level but let's say for the sake of argument he's refering to the 4LZ trim. Still IMO not a night and day difference between the 3 and 4LZ but from what I've seen and sat in ,there is a world of difference in quality between the Corvette interior in any trim and a Porsche 911's.What say you with regard to the interest of higher quality for a C7 interior without the Corvette tax? If someone can post a link to this article for all to read I'd appreciate that.

I would be surprised if it is only 45.00, even at the production line. However, that 45.00 would escalate to about 4500.00 on the showroom floor.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I sit in my car and then hop over into my dads 997 Turbo and I have to say there is quite a bit more than $45 difference going on in there, lol.

I do only have a 2lt....the 4lt is better, but still not even close. I also have an XLR-V which is a pretty good comparison to the 4lt and it is still not even in the ballpark of having the quality of the Porsche.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I mentioned that information in the thread savewave ran about "GM is Listening".

As mentioned, I have no idea how true or accurate it is but if there's "any" truth to it, GM should invest the extra money in the interiors and just add it to the cost of the car. Seems simple. I'd pay $100 more to get an interior equivalent to a P-car's. We'll see if there's any feedback.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by RicK T
I mentioned that information in the thread savewave ran about "GM is Listening".

As mentioned, I have no idea how true or accurate it is but if there's "any" truth to it, GM should invest the extra money in the interiors and just add it to the cost of the car. Seems simple. I'd pay $100 more to get an interior equivalent to a P-car's. We'll see if there's any feedback.
I'd gladly pay $5,000 more for the fit and finish difference of the interior (I wouldn't want to have to buy all of the silly gizmos that the packages come with though like nav, stero setups, cd changers, etc...)

When you start mass-producing these interiors that price point should be resonable. You can get a completely custom built leather interior for ~15k that is run in very small batches or done as single items. Mass produced by GM should be able to slash that cost.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Any interior is better then any Corvette interior!You can buy a 20k Hyundai and be an equal to a 50 grand Corvette and if you buy a 30 grand one,your's is nicer.The 4LT is nice but really,vinyl shift and ebrake boots??For all that money??Give me a friggin break! Porche has some nice material in there!!GM is just CHEAP,AND IT SHOWS!!! I would not pay an extra 5 grand for a better interior because they have raised the price on the Corvette non stop for years and haven't done squat to the interior to justify the raise!!! and just for the record,I love my Vette AND HAVE ADDED SOME DSVETTES parts to make it look good.

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 03-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:08 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Its far from 45 bucks .. The entire dash and parts of the door panels are lined with genuine leather and each is individually hand stitched and assembled . The 911 is a boutique sports car that carries a serious price tag.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
DS Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently we are working on our 911 and it all depends if you get the full leather package. The one that we got has the full leather package, and most of it is recovered in leather. Dash, complete door panels, trimmings, etc. I will try to post pictures of the interior parts later on. Here is the way we have it right now.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:19 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

That looks like a 996...the 997s are MUCH nicer.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

I can believe that the quality of the leather in the C6 seats could have been very significantly increased for $45.00 or $22.50 per seat. None of the other costs such as labor, seat frame and electrical actuators, airbags, logo embroidery, or seat installation would have changed. This $22.50 would have simply been in addition to the costs of the original lower quality leather used, which was probably no more than $22.50 per seat in the first place. The biggest detriment to the quality of any manufactured item is usually the purchasing department of the producing company, since they are only rewarded for lowering purchased costs, rather than for increasing the value or reliability of the items purchased, and they usually never have to answer for increased warranty cost, liabilty costs, loss of goodwill, reputation or sales due to the consequences of the pressures they exert on their suppliers to constantly lower costs. All I know is the quality of the leather in my wife's 2010 premium Mustang seats is much higher than that in my Vette's 2LT sport bucket perforated two-tone leather seats. Incidently, I worked forty-five years for an offshoot of a company that was the largest processor of leather in North America up until the end of the Second World War.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:43 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T

As the op said earlier. That $45 cost will translate to at least $4500 sticker. With that being said, if the interior really was as good as the Porsche, I'd pay for it.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent the last 5 years driving a Porsche Cayman S. And the interior differences between that and the 2011 Corvette aren't significant - other than full leather in the Porsche over the 3LT trim. The 4LT gives you the full leather. Note that full leather is a separate option in the Porsche and can cost many thousands of dollars when you start picking the kind and color. The standard full leather option isn't too luxurious. The rest of the ***** and handles are consistent in quality with the Vette.

An interior door pull on a 987 or 997 - same part - painted Gitano Silver costs $145. It is cheap plastic, held on by one screw, and scratches easily.

Most of the Porschephiles complain about how poor the quality is on the hardware in those cars.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I find the overall quality of my Corvette to be equal to or above that of a current year model Porsche.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by fmarshall
I find the overall quality of my Corvette to be equal to or above that of a current year model Porsche.

I'm glad you like your corvette...but come on.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:01 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

How do you remember where all the wires go???
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Ive given up on GM quality and hos stupid some of the guys in the company are ...My 7.0 is good enough ...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68

I'm glad you like your corvette...but come on.
Really. The biggest differences in a Porsche are internals. The engines are designed and built well. They last way more miles than the American engines, in general. But they cost a whole lot more to repair or replace - so that even's out.

Fit and finish is exemplary; however, the paint is not nearly as durable as ours. And that balances things out IMO.

I do wish that the Corvette had an auto-adjusting passenger side-view mirror, like Porsche does. So, that when I have that mirror selected and engage reverse, it adjusts to see the tire/curb relationship!

Get notified of new replies

To $45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I think that would be a minority view.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Originally Posted by Notch
I think that would be a minority view.
Of course it is, I speak on behalf of me.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Of course it is, I speak on behalf of me.
Fair enough.

What do you think the results of a survey of sports car owners would be?

Quick Reply: $45 bucks more for 911 Interior ?