C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Scratched windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help: Scratched windshield

My wiper blade shifted off the wiper arm and scratched the windshield. There is a half moon circular scratch along the entire path of the wiper arm on the driver's side. The scratch is etched in and can be felt by running a fingernail over it. Is this something that can be polished out or does the windshield have to be replaced???
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by spinalator
My wiper blade shifted off the wiper arm and scratched the windshield. There is a half moon circular scratch along the entire path of the wiper arm on the driver's side. The scratch is etched in and can be felt by running a fingernail over it. Is this something that can be polished out or does the windshield have to be replaced???
I think it can be polished out if not to deep, just be careful that the polishing does not cause distoration. I have some nick's all over my windshield, kind of like it was sand blasted so I am looking at the same thing. Let me know if you find someone that will do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
spinalator
Drifting

I've been callling around locally, but most places thus far want to replace the windshield for "sefety" reasons. Yea, sure... And that's without even looking at the glass...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Take it to a glass place and have them look at it. There are products out there but to get it optically perfect could be difficult.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by okie08vette
I think it can be polished out if not to deep, just be careful that the polishing does not cause distoration. I have some nick's all over my windshield, kind of like it was sand blasted so I am looking at the same thing. Let me know if you find someone that will do it.
me too.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If you can feel it with your finger nail, you will have no other choice but to replace. I polished my windshield that had a wiper scratch mark that you couldn't feel with your finger nail. Took hours to remove, but finally got it out. With a power polisher I am afraid there would be some optical compromise.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

One of my other cars has the same thing as the OP and I showed it to a glass repair guy and he said that he can't do anything about it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe your insurance will take care of it. I bet you will have to replace but get it looked at first.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You might consider Eastwood's Polishing Kit for Deep Scratches. I think there may be some videos demonstrating this type of product on YouTube.

On second thought, I just read this which makes me think it will take an experienced pro to make it look perfect again.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-07-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Maybe I should just have a rock hit the window, then I know it will be replaced???
Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

just an opinion, but you can get the scratch out. the problem is keeping it so that it not only "looks" good but you can see out in rain, night, day, etc. that's the optically-correct issue. take a look at the fellow working on his headlight lens. granted, it's far more delicate than glass, but I think what he's got is a good-looking lens that no longer is optically correct to the sides--therefore, it looks foggy or blurred.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
jb193
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Contact NASA. NO joke. They polish the windshield of the Space Shuttle every time it lands due to all the debris hitting it upon re-entry. I don't know what it is or what it costs, but evidently it works.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jb193
Contact NASA. NO joke. They polish the windshield of the Space Shuttle every time it lands due to all the debris hitting it upon re-entry. I don't know what it is or what it costs, but evidently it works.
Contact NASA and ask what they use to polish the windshield of the space shuttle? Just like that huh
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Maybe an asteroid can smash the windshield and then it can be replaced by my insurance carrier. I doubt they are going to replace it for a scratch...
Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You still have that thing called a deductible... i have the same issues, & from the reading on the forum, think replacing the W/S will be the most straightforward solution. $350 to replace. I spent that on my CAI...
Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 AM
weezon
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

I would think it could be filled like a chip. But all you have to do to cut glass is etch it so it might be a safety issue.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Fly-N-LOw
Instructor

Default Front window

Originally Posted by spinalator
Maybe I should just have a rock hit the window, then I know it will be replaced???
In Florida your windshield will be replaced free by your insurance if it can't be repaired and the damage is bigger than a dollar bill. Usually does not take an adjuster and they send out SAFELIGHT. HUD no problem. I've had two replaced
by SAFELIGHT just like OEM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 AM
GRCTampa
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly-N-LOw
In Florida your windshield will be replaced free by your insurance if it can't be repaired and the damage is bigger than a dollar bill. Usually does not take an adjuster and they send out SAFELIGHT. HUD no problem. I've had two replaced
by SAFELIGHT just like OEM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Scratched windshield

Quick Reply: Help: Scratched windshield