C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert manual top clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vert manual top clearance

I've got an '05 Vert with a manual top, and I'm wondering if any others have the same issue I do. The rear of the top doesn't seem to retract far enough to allow the tonneau cover to open/close easily. I put the front and rear edges of the top into the vertical straight-up position, but the tonneau cover still contacts the corners of the top. I have to lower it slightly to maneuver the cover around it.

Anyone else have this problem? Am I not performing the raise/lower steps properly?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM
SCMichel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2005 with manual vert top. I have not had this problem. I'm not sure I completely understand where the issue lies. Do you have a picture or a video?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
AlfredMay
Racer

I have a 2010 manual top. When raising or lowering, the clearance of the front of the tonneau latching mechanism and the rear center of the top is very close. In order not to have them touch I really have to hold the top up with a fair amount of force. The top fits beautifully and does not leak so I am very hesitant to change anything.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Icebear
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfredMay
I have a 2010 manual top. When raising or lowering, the clearance of the front of the tonneau latching mechanism and the rear center of the top is very close. In order not to have them touch I really have to hold the top up with a fair amount of force. The top fits beautifully and does not leak so I am very hesitant to change anything.
Exactly the same.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

With mine, I have to push the rear window forward before raising or lowering the cover. If I don't, the cover hits the glass window.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
With mine, I have to push the rear window forward before raising or lowering the cover. If I don't, the cover hits the glass window.
I have to do this too. I noticed that there is a thicker rubber bit on the window where it hits, so it must be a common thing. But I push the window towards the front of the car a little before I bring down the cover as well.

While we're griping......I have to shove the whole top into the car a few times before I can get the cover to close when lowering the top. I wonder how the power top does all of these 'extra' steps, or does stuff just bang and clang around?

TomZ
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 06 manual does this also but its not an issue for me. Just push it in a little so it clears.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:21 PM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Ok, here are some pics to try to demonstrate the problem:

Top unlatched:

Driver seat forward:

Rear edge vertical (and front too, just not shown):

Lift tonneau cover -- center contacts edge of rear glass.

What am I missing?
The following users liked this post:
00C5 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

TomZ....... I too, have to push the top into the storage well in order to allow the tonneau cover to close and latch properly when lowering the top.

OP......... Regardinging the posted pictures. I have 3/4 of an inch clearance at the point where your window touches the tonneau cover. However, when you continue to put the top down on my car the tonneau latch will touch the front of the convertible top unless you lift up with some force on the tonneau cover. I believe if you adjusted your top forward, the window may clear but the situation may change to what I have.

Last edited by AlfredMay; 05-09-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
00C5
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this is an older post. Curious as to what ultimately fixed the clearance problem. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

00C5..just an FYI

As a rule of thumb, the Mods prefer that you do not resurrect old threads. Start a new thread or do a search to find your answers. Regarding this particular issue...there are a few good threads describing how to fix. Most Google searches will reference the forum and you can go from there. Any thread over six months old should not be resurrected. There is also a Mega Thread in the sticky section that has a lot of info that will probably be helpful to you in the future. Regarding this issue...look for a thread from Staveacre21 i believe. He did a great video on how to resolve the "bump" / "clearance" issue.

Good luck!

Last edited by MH663; 05-22-2017 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
00C5 (05-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Vert manual top clearance

Quick Reply: Vert manual top clearance