C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Matching

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
I rev match all the time with my A6. No clutch peddle to hassle with and much faster shifts. A vette is not a sports car without the quick launch ,quick shifting A6 with paddles.
I don't know if you are serious or joking here?

U.M.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I do most of the time out on the highways. When in town between traffic lights I just clutch it and roll to a stop.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 AM
dealer06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I feel lost. What are we talking about? When I down shift, I give the throttle a little nudge to make the rpm go up to compensate for the lower gear so the car doesn' buck and surge and all when I get the clutch out in the new gear. Is that what we are talking about? Doesn't everyone do this--seems like it would be a very jerky downshift otherwise? If that's not what the discussion is about, what IS it about?
I hate to sound stupid, but would someone very courteously insult my intelligence for a minute and help me understand this thread better? I thought I new how to drive a manual, but I admit, it was largely self-taught. Maybe I've been doing something wrong?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
I don't know if you are serious or joking here?

U.M.
It's possible in the A6 I do it on track with mine. Hit the downshift then blip the throttle and it is perfect timing for rev matching.

Last edited by mcandrew67; 05-16-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM
1MEANGT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always rev match. Makes for a much smoother transition between the gears.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I do it almost all the time when downshifting unless I'm just putting along in traffic.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dealer06
Man, I feel lost. What are we talking about? When I down shift, I give the throttle a little nudge to make the rpm go up to compensate for the lower gear so the car doesn' buck and surge and all when I get the clutch out in the new gear. Is that what we are talking about? Doesn't everyone do this--seems like it would be a very jerky downshift otherwise? If that's not what the discussion is about, what IS it about?
I hate to sound stupid, but would someone very courteously insult my intelligence for a minute and help me understand this thread better? I thought I new how to drive a manual, but I admit, it was largely self-taught. Maybe I've been doing something wrong?
That is essentially what he is talking about. But real "heel & toe" rev matching means that when you are driving a race track, or winding roads where you are on the brake coming into a curve, you would brake and rev match at the same time.

In a Corvette you really can't use your heel and toe, but that is what the racers call it. You can use the left side of your foot on the brake while using the right side of your foot to blip the throttle as you downshift for the curve. That is what I do. I suspect that some of the folks that say they "rev match" are not really doing this while they are braking at the same time.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I've always rev-matched when downshifting.
It's the way I was taught (I'm 48 now), and it's completely natural to me.
I've tried double-clutching on downshifts, but it's really pointless for me.
I rev-match so smoothly I don't see any reason to do anything else.
Plus, not rev-matching is extremely hard on the clutch & transmission.....is it not?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 AM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
It's possible in the A6 I do it on track with mine. Hit the downshift then blip the throttle and it is perfect timing for rev matching.

Blip rev match all the time in my A6. But I'm also 100% paddles. My vette is also on a mild boil and ready to pounce.

Would love to track on road course but I have the vert.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
Blip rev match all the time in my A6. But I'm also 100% paddles. My vette is also on a mild boil and ready to pounce.

Would love to track on road course but I have the vert.
You can with Hooked on driving and Chin motorsports with a Vert.
Check them out for track days near you.
David
Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I only heel-toe when cornering. I usually don't engine brake when coming up to lights. I'll clutch and cover the brakes while approaching a stop or traffic and row down through the gears. If traffic starts moving before I get to 1st I'll blip it and release the clutch.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are double-clutching in a C6... you need to stop. No need to do this at all. Fast & the Furious got everyone caught on to that and its stupid really, especially for these cars.

Just rev matching and heel-toe rev matching are two different things to me. I view rev matching to be just blip the throttle and put it in the next lower gear of choice. Not using the brakes. I would do this alot in normal driving since there was typically never a need to be at the threshold braking point. Heel-Toe is where you are at threshold braking, rolling the right foot over or using the back of your right foot to blip the throttle all while still using the brake. This is what many racers use on the track.

Now that I've become smoother with heel-toe downshifting, I catch myself doing it on the streets when needed. Just a habit now.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM
mfile2000
Pro

Sometimes I just suck at shifting....there I said it. I never heal/toe but I always blip the gas when downshifting.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
mfile2000
Pro

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
If you are double-clutching in a C6... you need to stop. No need to do this at all. Fast & the Furious got everyone caught on to that and its stupid really, especially for these cars.

Just rev matching and heel-toe rev matching are two different things to me. I view rev matching to be just blip the throttle and put it in the next lower gear of choice. Not using the brakes. I would do this alot in normal driving since there was typically never a need to be at the threshold braking point. Heel-Toe is where you are at threshold braking, rolling the right foot over or using the back of your right foot to blip the throttle all while still using the brake. This is what many racers use on the track.

Now that I've become smoother with heel-toe downshifting, I catch myself doing it on the streets when needed. Just a habit now.
Yeah, but there isn't anything wrong with double clutching, is there? For the record, I don't double clutch and yes, I roll in neutral to the lights and I don't buy that keep it in gear stuff just in case because around here, the traffic is so tight there isn't anywhere you can go if you had to anyway.....now on my bike, I never leave it in neutral, but with that you can sqeeze into almost anything to get out of the way.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by youngrigo
I always rev match when down shifting... Its just natural to me to do it that way. Puts less stress on the parts
I always do that too ...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I take pride in providing my prized Corvette a smooth, jerk free experience when either accelerating or decelerating through the gears, and one cannot accomplish that without rather exacting rev matching. I also brake well in advance and at a uniform rate and then coast at the very end of a making a stop for the same reason. On the other hand, I can speed shift faster than you can blink if need be. I really enjoy driving a standard transmission smoother or faster than can be accomplished with an automatic, and telling the car when to shift, and into what gear, rather than visa versa. I think driving well, be it cruising or racing, is an art form, and something that should give one a real sense of accomplishment.

Only needed to change two words.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning

Only needed to change two words.
Except in my case 99% of the time I have the wife along since we are both retired and do most things together. I even avoid bumps and depressions in the road whenever practicle to give her a more comfortable ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Rev Matching

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
That's a bit harsh, and not completely correct. See, you're probably young enough that "The Fast & the Furious" is foremost in your mind. But good examples of double-clutching abounded before that waste of celluoid. Try watching the Bullitt - Steve McQueen Famous Car Chase on YouTube. Start at ~6.30 in the video, and listen as McQueen double-clutches the Mustang. I'm listening to him drive at this moment, he's the master.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-16-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

I had to wait till I got home to find this document:
The basis of misunderstanding about double-clutching, rev-matching and heel-and-toe is a lack of understanding of the basic way the engine/clutch/transmission combination works. So take a deep breath and follow along.

What do synchros do? They are used to make the the layshaft match the gear that you are going to. To do the job in a car without synchromesh, you have to make the layshaft go the speed of the new gear yourself.

(Note, I have always just called the gears on the layshaft "the layshaft" so it is easier to visualize. This is a schematic description, not an analysis of which gear slides where on which shaft, or how synchros work, or what oil to use for them. So if you don't agree with the schematic concept I outline here, tell me where I went wrong, and we will look at it. Technical statements about gear movements on shafts or the like will be sent to the bit bucket. I know that modern transmissions are constant-mesh but it really does not change the concept.)

You have three rotating parts in series (1,2,3) with two ways to connect and disconnect them from each other (A B):

1 A 2 B 3

engine -> clutch -> layshaft -> gear selector -> various transmission gears

1) The engine speed is controlled by the throttle alone when the clutch is disengaged ("in"). It is equal to the layshaft speed when the clutch is engaged.

A) The clutch disconnects the engine from the layshaft when you step on the pedal.

2) The layshaft speed is equal to the engine speed when the clutch is engaged. The layshaft speed is related to the road speed when a gear is selected. Therefore, when the clutch is engaged AND a gear is selected, the engine speed is related rigidly to the road speed. (Nobody spins the wheels in this schematic outline!) When the clutch is disengaged AND the selector is in Neutral, the layshaft coasts down freely, regardless of either engine or road speed.

B) The gear selector disconnects the layshaft from the transmission gears when you select "Neutral", and connects the layshaft to a specific transmission gear when you select one.

3) The various transmission gears are being pushed around by the road speeding under your car via the differential and driveshafts. All of them All of them are spinning at different speeds in rigidly defined relationship to each other. If your tires are not slipping, the speed of the system is rigidly proportional to your road speed.

If you have working synchromesh: You are loafing along in Third gear and want to change to Second gear. When you put in the clutch and change the gear selector from Third to Neutral, the layshaft is going a particular speed that matched Third gear at the present road speed. If you do not change your road speed (your brakes are broke, say), the layshaft is going too slowly to match Second gear. As you approach the Second gear selection, the synchros will speed the layshaft up to the same speed as Second gear is now rotating. How do they do that? Ask a mechanic. They just DO it. I have a rough intuitive grasp of how they work, but it does not matter here.

If you have no synchromesh (Crash Box City): You are loafing along in Third gear and want to change to Second gear. When you put in the clutch and change the gear selector from Third to Neutral, the layshaft is going a particular speed that matched Third gear at the present road speed. If you do not change your road speed (your brakes are broke, say), the layshaft is going too slowly to match Second gear. (Sound familiar so far?) As you approach the Second gear selection, the gears go GRAUNCH.

What should you have done? This:

Push in clutch Layshaft equals Third gear speed

Select Neutral Layshaft coasts

Let out clutch Layshaft equals engine speed

Blip throttle Engine and layshaft speed up to Second gear speed and a
little

Push in clutch Layshaft coasts

Select Second No GRAUNCH if you have the speeds right. Ideally,
layshaft has coasted down to exactly Second gear speed

Let out clutch System is all locked up in Second.

This is double-clutching. It INCORPORATES rev-matching, or there is no point in doing it. Therefore, in my opinion, there is no reason to have to say "rev-matching" to describe this process. The rev-matching is the tricky part. How high do you rev it? Experience is the only teacher.

Does double-clutching do any good if you have a synchromesh box? Yes, it makes the synchros work less hard than they were designed to, so they will last longer. The synchros will make up for any errors.

Can you rev-match the layshaft without double-clutching? Yes. Don't use the clutch at all:

Ease the throttle Takes the load out of the system

Select Neutral Layshaft equals engine speed

Blip throttle Engine and layshaft speed up to Second gear speed

Select Second No GRAUNCH if you have the speeds right

This works exactly the same in a synchromesh box as a crash box. Since the layshaft is always connected to the engine, synchros will NOT help you. In fact, I think errors in this method can wreak your synchros. Normally, synchros only have to deal with the rotating mass of the layshaft. Now you are asking them to deal with your whole engine. They ain't gonna like it. You have to be perfect. This is what Rick Mears and many other disgustingly able drivers do. I couldn't do it on a bet.

Can you rev-match the layshaft to the transmission gears by throttle - blipping with regular single clutching? No. The layshaft is not connected to the engine while the clutch is in. Those that recommend throttle-blipping rev-matching are right that it gives a smooth transition when they let the clutch out, but it does absolutely nothing to match the layshaft and does not save your synchros any work at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I rev match whenever I can. But since I cannot heel/toe, I don't rev match if I must keep my right foot on the brake through the downshift. If there's time to let off the brake and do the rev match and then do what's needed after that, I'll rev match. If not, I just carefully let the clutch in.

Double clutching is pointless in a transmission like this. Yes, I can still remember Vin Diesel in "The fast and the furious" criticizing the new guy for "granny shifting" and not "double clutching", but what kind of crap transmission were they supposed to be using where you needed to do that? It was a funny scene in my mind, like science fiction movies or "computer" movies where a bit of jargon is rattled off that is meaningless if you know the field in question.

Quick Reply: Rev Matching