C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 new Wind Restrictor design

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 519 Likes on 305 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default C6 new Wind Restrictor design

Forum vendor PYFC is advertising a windscreen that is supposed to be able to stay in place when you lower/raise the top.
Has anyone tried this new windscreen? Does it work as advertised? Does it block the wind? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I do not need one myself, but it looked to me like the best one by far. I think that being able to leave it in place when the top is put up and down is a must for something like this. It is great looking too. Not sure I would want the lighted feature but to each his own...

Last edited by cclive; 05-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

wow this is the best idea I have seen so far. Its a major pain to remove the other ones and then find a place to store it. This puts it at the top of my list for mods along with a spoiler.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

looks great but for the price, and that is THE most needed feature: not needing removal.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you run with your windows up?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Derekdo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one and returned it. It is a very nice concept, and I know that the company pioneered the wind blocker idea with edge lighting. It didn't work out for me.

The laser etched logo was a little bit crooked. They offered to send out a new one. That's really good customer service.

My main issue was that there was some flex in the upper bracket which caused the windscreen to bounce around a bit over bumps. The brackets were tight and mounted properly- may have to do with the weight of the acylic, the design where it is mounted at an angle causing an excursive force on the bracket, and the small mounting bolt used to secure it to the seatbelt mount area. I bet a larger diameter bolt and some reinforcement of the bracket would help immensly.

The top of the windscreen cutoff right in the middle of the rearview mirror. You couldn't see the second logo under the flags until you get stand behind the car by the trunk bc its so low. I couldn't get the seats all the way back, the way I reclined the seatback it hit the screen and squeeked on it. The acrylic looks really clean on the car. Its very unobtrusive looking.

Yes, it does work. There is some wind which comes in under the unit at freeway speeds, over the waterfall. But with the windows rolled up it reduces the wind buffeting by about 50%. And you can put the top up and down without removing it. For me, it just didn't work out. Maybe it might for you. I am considering the factory GM mesh screen now, we'll see.

Glen
Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
banjo04072
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derekdo
I had one and returned it. It is a very nice concept, and I know that the company pioneered the wind blocker idea with edge lighting. It didn't work out for me.

The laser etched logo was a little bit crooked. They offered to send out a new one. That's really good customer service.

My main issue was that there was some flex in the upper bracket which caused the windscreen to bounce around a bit over bumps. The brackets were tight and mounted properly- may have to do with the weight of the acylic, the design where it is mounted at an angle causing an excursive force on the bracket, and the small mounting bolt used to secure it to the seatbelt mount area. I bet a larger diameter bolt and some reinforcement of the bracket would help immensly.

The top of the windscreen cutoff right in the middle of the rearview mirror. You couldn't see the second logo under the flags until you get stand behind the car by the trunk bc its so low. I couldn't get the seats all the way back, the way I reclined the seatback it hit the screen and squeeked on it. The acrylic looks really clean on the car. Its very unobtrusive looking.

Yes, it does work. There is some wind which comes in under the unit at freeway speeds, over the waterfall. But with the windows rolled up it reduces the wind buffeting by about 50%. And you can put the top up and down without removing it. For me, it just didn't work out. Maybe it might for you. I am considering the factory GM mesh screen now, we'll see.

Glen
Sorry to hear that. I just oprdered one and it's in transient. Due here Monday. Let you know what I think after I get it installed and try it out. The other type just seemed like a pain having to remove it and store it everytime.

My wife's 2010 370Z has one OEM and it is a real nice feature. To me this looked and would seem to perform like an OEM restrictor. If I like it I'll add the light kit with the remote.

Stephen was great to deal with. Seem's like a top notch company.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the GM OEM screen for about 4 years now. I don't use it much (only when the weather is cool) but it has held up very well and still looks new. It comes with a very nice case that protects it very well.

Not much of hassle to put on or take off, takes only about 15 or 20 seconds.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Get notified of new replies

To C6 new Wind Restrictor design

Quick Reply: C6 new Wind Restrictor design