C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for the Common Curb....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
Bump...
For a great product and superb customer service yesterday from David at Southern Car Parts. Had an issue with my Curb Alert (strictly an issue I caused) and he directed me to a simple solution by putting me in touch with the inventor of the product. Ten minutes for the two phone calls and problem resolved. Turns out the volume switch on the small speaker had been accidentally switched to OFF. DUH!

Randy in Nashville
Glad to help out!
Old 03-08-2016, 01:41 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Front camera or lift kit..
Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
cvette23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love mine!
Old 07-16-2016, 12:45 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Introducing the "Cure for the Common Curb". Front end damage when parking is a very real problem for many cars on the road today, especially for vehicles who have installed ground effects or aerodynamic profile improvements on their vehicles. Curbs are something that are one of those road hazards that do more damage to sports cars than any other hazard on the road.

In fact, just a simple trip to the corner store can become a costly errand if you over-estimate your front end clearance when parking: damage repairs could easily run $1000 or more; however,
Curb Alert provides you a warning system that gives you three-deep warning tones as you approach too close to a curb.

The
Curb Alert is very easy to install and does not put a drain on your battery when the car is not on. Using a patented infrared technology, the front mounted sensor is calibrated to a warning distance of anywhere from 8-28" (you decide with whatever you feel comfortable with). The warning alarm is hidden in the car and will give you three gentle tones when you are within a specified distance to the curb. The system gives you a short beep every time you start your car to let you know the system is active.

The Curb Alert is one of a kind and is a gadget that will save you money in the long run, preventing front end damage to any car that is low enough to be vulnerable to a Curb. Do not take a chance, get the Curb Alert to prevent curb damage.

This is not one of those gimmicky products, we have installed it on a Corvette C6 Z06, Nissan GTR, and a Dodge Challenger. In all instances it works exactly as described (we wanted to test it ourselves before we opened the flood gates
) It is the real deal and will save you money in the long run. Heck it might it even give you enough confidence to let your significant other take the car for spin (my biggest worry letting someone else drive my car is there lack of familiarity with judging the curb distance when parking)

Installation Instructions (we are the only ones offering Custom Install packages and videos to install on the C5, C6 and Camaro) and videos are at the link below

We have the
Curb Alert in stock for 149.99 with free shipping.... at the link below...Also have a great video that shows how the system works and another video on how to calibrate it once installed.

Mini Curb Alert

Thanks,

David

Any false alarms?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by enventr
Any false alarms?
The beauty of the Curb Alert is that you're able to calibrate its angle and range so that it only detects actual hazards.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:18 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I think that Curb Alert is going to be the first thing I install on the new GS I take delivery of later this month.

My wife has hit numerous curbs / parking dividers with our Camry while parking ... Lots of scratches in the lower section of the front bumper. She always claims ... "I just don't know when to stop!"

I can only guess at how much damage to the front of this Corvette will take place if I don't install a Curb Alert! ... Now, if she will only remember to stop moving forward when she hears those little 'beep' sounds.

And the price is right from Southern Car Parts!

Ron,
LOL....my wife won't even claim that. She always says..."I dunno what happened, I don't think I did it"....
Old 11-30-2016, 05:01 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by C3-PO
What ever happened to "curb feelers"? ya ... they were ugly and made your car look like a porcupine, but they were cheap. the high price techno gadgets still can't grind away the steep driveways, speed bumps and parking lot bolsters fast enough before you go OOOhhh Noooooo!!. they also don't help if you drive into a pothole on the corner of the road deeper than your ground clearance anyway. as i remember, hitting a muffler or a small wood box on the highway at 55 mph produces the same amount of damage and heartache.
Uhhh, they only worked on the side, for the rims. The OP is talking about a product that will prevent you from driving into and over the concrete parking blocks, or curbs at the end of the parking stall. The product gives you front end protection, not side.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by C3-PO
What ever happened to "curb feelers"? ya ... they were ugly and made your car look like a porcupine, but they were cheap. the high price techno gadgets still can't grind away the steep driveways, speed bumps and parking lot bolsters fast enough before you go OOOhhh Noooooo!!. they also don't help if you drive into a pothole on the corner of the road deeper than your ground clearance anyway. as i remember, hitting a muffler or a small wood box on the highway at 55 mph produces the same amount of damage and heartache.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jackcasa
Old 02-03-2017, 02:10 PM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Really like this product, but don't care for the C6 install. Has anyone found a neater way to bring the cord in to the passenger compartment?

Last edited by twinarrow99; 02-03-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by twinarrow99
Really like this product, but don't care for the C6 install. Has anyone found a neater way to bring the cord in to the passenger compartment?
I ran the wire exactly like described in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrAeIqf-T68

If you are not wanting to run the wire that way, you can run it through the firewall. There should be a grommet near the engine fuse box. I am not sure where it ends up on the inside as I haven't run any wires through that. To be honest, I am not sure if it is worth the trouble. Once installed like in the video, you don't see the wires any more.

Curb Alert is a great product and a must have for Corvettes.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:04 PM
twinarrow99
Racer

Default mini or standard size now provided? what about angled parking slots?

Hi, so I spent some time looking at the GS yesterday. I found a way to route the cord from the sensor - not using the "over the cowl method" as in the video. that was my main concern. instead, there is a path - using a straightened coat hangar wire, or similar - lower far left corner, behind the dry sump reservoir - leading to in front of the door hinge. This totally hides the wire - not having to lay on or near the cowl, or using the gap in the fender - acceptable to me. Cord is in no danger of binding or pinching. Still have to transit inside cabin using the method of breaching/underneath the door gasket and removing the trim panel.

My question is - now ready to order - looking at southern car parts - and the links you show in the post above indicate one curb alert? Are they all shipped as mini-curb alerts now? (preferred)...

Second question - parking in an angled left to right space, the center of car will be calibrated to straight-on - if one calibrates at 20" or so straight -on, is that sufficient for angled spots / sides of splitter and will work well? What calibration distance have you found to work ok in this scenario?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by twinarrow99; 02-06-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by twinarrow99
Hi, so I spent some time looking at the GS yesterday. I found a way to route the cord from the sensor - not using the "over the cowl method" as in the video. that was my main concern. instead, there is a path - using a straightened coat hangar wire, or similar - lower far left corner, behind the dry sump reservoir - leading to in front of the door hinge. This totally hides the wire - not having to lay on or near the cowl, or using the gap in the fender - acceptable to me. Cord is in no danger of binding or pinching. Still have to transit inside cabin using the method of breaching/underneath the door gasket and removing the trim panel.

My question is - now ready to order - looking at southern car parts - and the links you show in the post above indicate one curb alert? Are they all shipped as mini-curb alerts now? (preferred)...

Second question - parking in an angled left to right space, the center of car will be calibrated to straight-on - if one calibrates at 20" or so straight -on, is that sufficient for angled spots / sides of splitter and will work well? What calibration distance have you found to work ok in this scenario?

thanks in advance.
Hello,

They haven't made the old version of the product called Curb Alert Pro for years now. The one they call Curb Alert Mini is the same tech but in a smaller case. And that's all they're making these days.

As for the calibration distance, I do think the majority of people use about 20" but I know why you'd ask this question. For anyone who's uncertain, my advice is always to calibrate is an extra couple inches out for safety's sake.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM
twinarrow99
Racer

Thanks Dave, order placed.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Duck Pond
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have one on my 2013 GS and it works great. Very simple to install. In the video the installer shows throwing the fuse away, don't do that you'll need both fuses.
Bud
Old 06-12-2017, 12:40 AM
magls2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try using truck bed liner paint, that stuff takes quite a bit of abuse. Put several layers
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have installed Curb Alert, in my car cousin cars, easy installations, no more then 25 ,minutes.
The only good trick I can relay is when you have it set to the curb, get some RTV sealant, and put good amount on your finger, and push it between the piano hinge, so when it dries it won't move from where you set it.
Lets face it washing the car you can tap the sensor, and knock it out alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Cure for the Common Curb....

Old 09-20-2017, 09:42 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
I have installed Curb Alert, in my car cousin cars, easy installations, no more then 25 ,minutes.
The only good trick I can relay is when you have it set to the curb, get some RTV sealant, and put good amount on your finger, and push it between the piano hinge, so when it dries it won't move from where you set it.
Lets face it washing the car you can tap the sensor, and knock it out alignment.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Introducing the "Cure for the Common Curb". Front end damage when parking is a very real problem for many cars on the road today, especially for vehicles who have installed ground effects or aerodynamic profile improvements on their vehicles. Curbs are something that are one of those road hazards that do more damage to sports cars than any other hazard on the road.

In fact, just a simple trip to the corner store can become a costly errand if you over-estimate your front end clearance when parking: damage repairs could easily run $1000 or more; however, Curb Alert provides you a warning system that gives you three-deep warning tones as you approach too close to a curb.

The Curb Alert is very easy to install and does not put a drain on your battery when the car is not on. Using a patented infrared technology, the front mounted sensor is calibrated to a warning distance of anywhere from 8-28" (you decide with whatever you feel comfortable with). The warning alarm is hidden in the car and will give you three gentle tones when you are within a specified distance to the curb. The system gives you a short beep every time you start your car to let you know the system is active.

The Curb Alert is one of a kind and is a gadget that will save you money in the long run, preventing front end damage to any car that is low enough to be vulnerable to a Curb. Do not take a chance, get the Curb Alert to prevent curb damage.

This is not one of those gimmicky products, we have installed it on a Corvette C6 Z06, Nissan GTR, and a Dodge Challenger. In all instances it works exactly as described (we wanted to test it ourselves before we opened the flood gates ) It is the real deal and will save you money in the long run. Heck it might it even give you enough confidence to let your significant other take the car for spin (my biggest worry letting someone else drive my car is there lack of familiarity with judging the curb distance when parking)

Installation Instructions (we are the only ones offering Custom Install packages and videos to install on the C5, C6 and Camaro) and videos are at the link below

We have the Curb Alert in stock for 149.99 with free shipping.... at the link below...Also have a great video that shows how the system works and another video on how to calibrate it once installed.

Mini Curb Alert

Thanks,

David
Old 08-30-2019, 08:54 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Thank you for the orders!

Quick Reply: Cure for the Common Curb....