C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there common issues/problems with the 2010/2011 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are there common issues/problems with the 2010/2011 GS?

I've been reading the forums A LOT and I don't real come across threads that state serious issues with these cars.

If this subject has come up before I appologize in advance.

I'd just like to know if there are any issues (major or minor) with the Grand Sport (coupe) that I should look for or be made aware of before I take delivery of my car.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Flies Lo
Instructor

Serious issues? The only one that keeps cropping up with mine ('10 GS Coupe, six speed, engine built by James Knipp) is that I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like! I bought it on 27 July '10, and only have 5,356 miles on it to date...including two weekends at Mid-Ohio...
Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 AM
bluez06ny
Instructor

I don't think there are any major issues..just look the car over and under..warranty will cover issues.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

From my 8 months of ownership (first time Vette owner, 2011 GS DD 10K miles). By the way, I don't consider any of these to be problems, just things that I've learned:

On tight (full lock) turns at very low speeds (i.e. in a parking lot), the wide tires create a "waffling" feel as the tires slip through the turn (i.e. the circumference of the turn for the inside of the wide tire is different enough from the outside that they have to lose grip and get back in sync every few feet). Not a problem...and from what I've heard happens on most all GS's.

For me, I have two small rock chips on the passenger side mirror and one small one on the passenger side rear. I've heard many talk about clear bra type of products for the nose of the car...and the nose of mine is still flawless....if you're going to attempt to protect the paint with something like that, you might take that into consideration. I'm fine with it, I love the look of the paint and would personally not be interested in a film over it.

Brake dust is an issue. Being a first sports car for me, maybe it's an issue with all of them, but I was quite surprised at how much brake dust accumulated in the front wheels even after just one daily commute. Amor All Wheel Protectant has worked well for me.

I've noticed some odd things that I've never noticed on my other vehicles (although, I've never given the attention to detail on other vehicles). Like when you're done washing the car, you really need to open the hood and rear hatch and dry all the puddles of water in the plastic pieces under there or you have a ton of water spots that you'll notice later when you open your hood or rear hatch (hard water here, so maybe not an issue for others).

Also, on the subject of washing....the mirrors and rear taillights like to hold a significant amount of water in them. You'll dry the car, and be in the middle of waxing 45 mins later and a tear of water will spill out and leave a streak down the side of the car (again, maybe exacerbated by the hard water here).

If you get into detailing: The rear of the car gets dirty almost instantly. I daily drive mine, and hit the whole car with a California duster and then detailing spray at the end of every day (takes just a minute or two) to remove all the bugs and get the car looking showroom fresh for the next morning! The gills and the rear of the car are where all the road grime shows up....so if you wipe it off everyday (as I do), do those spots last.

Oh yeah, and you'll have a problem wiping that silly grin off your face every time you drive it!

Good luck with your car!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
traxz4000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
From my 8 months of ownership (first time Vette owner, 2011 GS DD 10K miles). By the way, I don't consider any of these to be problems, just things that I've learned:

On tight (full lock) turns at very low speeds (i.e. in a parking lot), the wide tires create a "waffling" feel as the tires slip through the turn (i.e. the circumference of the turn for the inside of the wide tire is different enough from the outside that they have to lose grip and get back in sync every few feet). Not a problem...and from what I've heard happens on most all GS's.

For me, I have two small rock chips on the passenger side mirror and one small one on the passenger side rear. I've heard many talk about clear bra type of products for the nose of the car...and the nose of mine is still flawless....if you're going to attempt to protect the paint with something like that, you might take that into consideration. I'm fine with it, I love the look of the paint and would personally not be interested in a film over it.

Brake dust is an issue. Being a first sports car for me, maybe it's an issue with all of them, but I was quite surprised at how much brake dust accumulated in the front wheels even after just one daily commute. Amor All Wheel Protectant has worked well for me.

I've noticed some odd things that I've never noticed on my other vehicles (although, I've never given the attention to detail on other vehicles). Like when you're done washing the car, you really need to open the hood and rear hatch and dry all the puddles of water in the plastic pieces under there or you have a ton of water spots that you'll notice later when you open your hood or rear hatch (hard water here, so maybe not an issue for others).

Also, on the subject of washing....the mirrors and rear taillights like to hold a significant amount of water in them. You'll dry the car, and be in the middle of waxing 45 mins later and a tear of water will spill out and leave a streak down the side of the car (again, maybe exacerbated by the hard water here).

If you get into detailing: The rear of the car gets dirty almost instantly. I daily drive mine, and hit the whole car with a California duster and then detailing spray at the end of every day (takes just a minute or two) to remove all the bugs and get the car looking showroom fresh for the next morning! The gills and the rear of the car are where all the road grime shows up....so if you wipe it off everyday (as I do), do those spots last.

Oh yeah, and you'll have a problem wiping that silly grin off your face every time you drive it!

Good luck with your car!
Excellent write up Digital!

Originally Posted by bluez06ny
I don't think there are any major issues..just look the car over and under..warranty will cover issues.

...Another SSB vette.... NICE!

Last edited by traxz4000; 05-20-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: updating..
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

no problems here you would think they would of worked out all the bugs by now since the C-6 came out in 05
Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Moonray13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2010 GS with about 6K miles on it and it's a daily driver. No serious issues, but I agree with everything DigitalWidgets had to say.

I'm got numerous rock chips on the rear fenders and in front of the rear brake inlets. Should have installed film, but I don't like the look. They are probably only noticeable to me anyway, but it might need to be addressed in another year or two.

Not specific to GS, but the creaking and groaning of the roof panel latches is horrible. I've had it in to the dealer twice and whatever they're doing works for a few weeks before the noise comes back. Gonna have to figure out a home fix so I'm not going back and forth to the dealer all the time.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Only problem I have had, is all the scary stories I have read about how my car will melt if I drive it in the rain!

Seriously, besides a few already mentioned above, you should be ok. Remember, its got a warranty.

Last edited by Torchsport; 05-20-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spell
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
MIKE2010GS
Advanced

Not one problem with mine. Great car!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

My biggest problem is i can't drive it enough!.I only drive on weekends due to it being stored at my parents house.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

5K Miles, NO problems/complaints AWESOME Car!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the comments on my write up, but I thought of one more thing to note (just because it bugs me).

The gap in the body panel between the rear brake duct air inlet and the lower rocker panel (the piece that goes along the bottom of the car from rear tires to front of door) fills up with rocks. The first time I noticed, I thought "what the heck?"....a trip to the forum and a quick search revealed it to be a common problem. What it is is there is a gap in the wheel well between the actual wheel well black plastic piece and the body panel (just inside the wheel well a bit above where that brake air duct is). Once you run your fingers in there and find it, you'll see real quick what the issue is (rocks get kicked up from the tires, and make their way into that little gap....and then work their way inside there down to the bottom where that gap is).

There are a couple of great write ups on solutions in the forum here. I haven't got around to doing any of them as of yet, but plan to in the future. Most of the time shooting the hose in there repeatedly clears most of them out, or occasionally I'll take the can opener tool on my swiss army knife and break up the rocks that are stuck in there.

Oh and one more thing (gees, you'd think I didn't like my car!)....the car rides low...I hear scraping in the front almost every day (mostly out of my driveway)....fortunately, it's not the actual nose of the car that's scraping, it's the air dam underneath. Sounds like it's under $100 to get a new air dam, and you really can't see it, so the damage to it is not really even a cosmetic issue, and I can't see how a few scrapes on it will hinder it's performance in any way.

Again, good luck with your car....I'm sure you'll enjoy learning all of it's quirks (like that first time you hit a certain kind of bump in a highway speed turn and the whole car feels like it skips out 2 inches on ya....that's good for a quick expletive the first time you do it!)!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Nick996
Pro

Wow... nice replies. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Great write up Digital..

Mine should be here any day now..Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
The gap in the body panel between the rear brake duct air inlet and the lower rocker panel (the piece that goes along the bottom of the car from rear tires to front of door) fills up with rocks. The first time I noticed, I thought "what the heck?"....a trip to the forum and a quick search revealed it to be a common problem. What it is is there is a gap in the wheel well between the actual wheel well black plastic piece and the body panel (just inside the wheel well a bit above where that brake air duct is). Once you run your fingers in there and find it, you'll see real quick what the issue is (rocks get kicked up from the tires, and make their way into that little gap....and then work their way inside there down to the bottom where that gap is).

There are a couple of great write ups on solutions in the forum here. I haven't got around to doing any of them as of yet, but plan to in the future. Most of the time shooting the hose in there repeatedly clears most of them out, or occasionally I'll take the can opener tool on my swiss army knife and break up the rocks that are stuck in there.
Ive got that problem, can you post links to the solutions as I have not stumbled on them.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

QUOTE: "I've been reading the forums A LOT and I don't real come across threads that state serious issues with these cars."

You answered your own question....there aren't any.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
ninjabob86
Instructor

I would reccomend a 4 wheel alignment at a specialty shop. The specs are too loose and the dealer won't adjust them tighter. I'm convinced the cars are prone to high tire wear without a good alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To Are there common issues/problems with the 2010/2011 GS?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 PM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

5k miles on mine...only problem I have is wife won't let me drive it without her because she says i get too much female attention in it
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Ive got that problem, can you post links to the solutions as I have not stumbled on them.
Search the forum for "Rocks body panel" and you'll find more threads, but here's one that kinda sums it all up with a solution:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74

That weather stripping sounds like a good idea, but the gap in my wheel well is wider than that weather stripping will cover.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ninjabob86
I would reccomend a 4 wheel alignment at a specialty shop. The specs are too loose and the dealer won't adjust them tighter. I'm convinced the cars are prone to high tire wear without a good alignment.

When I first got my car, it pulled fairly hard to the right. I probably should have just taken it back to the dealer for an alignment, but I had read so many dealer horror stories on the forum that I decided to take it to a suspension specialty shop in my area. It was relatively cheap (like $80), but after I picked it up, I talked to the proprietor and discovered that he did most of the Corvette alignments for the local Chevy dealer.

After the alignment the car tracks straight and true!

Quick Reply: Are there common issues/problems with the 2010/2011 GS?