C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep screwing up hand detailing - need expert advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Keep screwing up hand detailing - need expert advice

I've done tons of research, here and on many other sites. I've watched tons of videos in hopes of getting it right. However, I keep trying to detail my paint to a good shine and fail in some fashion. I'm hoping that any real detailing experts will be able to give some advice.

First of all, yes I am doing this by hand. Please avoid any comments about getting a DA tool. My wife simply won't stand for any more right now after the $150 worth of detailing stuff I've bought.

Here's my problem:

I have good atomic orange paint that has minor spider-webbing in certain light. I decided to do some steps to make it shine as much as possible and remove those marks. My outcome, however, does not meet my high standards. Not only did it not remove any spider-webbing or swirls, but now there's actually a faint... very faint cloudiness going on from certain angles.

Here's the steps I have tried to take twice now:

1. all products are Meguiars except plain caranuba Turtle Wax.
2. I start with a thorough wash
3. I dry using microfiber towels
4. I do a 50/50 IPA wipedown of my test section
5. I clay the car, lubricating with detail spray, for a good long while
6. I do another IPA wipedown to be thourough
7. I SwirlX the area and work it in using mf towels
8. I go through a couple more towels to *try* and get rid of any residue
9. I wait a few minutes and then add Turtle wax, buffing it away after it hazes with more towels.

I step back and smile... but later I pass by the spot in just the right light and see some cloudiness...

Looking for sound advice from any professionals out there. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a DA. Your hand and Swirl X isn't working.

I'll add, practice on a lesser car before you really do damage to your paint.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to reach out to Wolfdogs on this forum.
You also need to get rid of the turtle wax (sorry) and get Zaino.

Last edited by BSE1956; 05-26-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

For $150 you could of had a professional detail your car.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
I would have missed out on good bonding time.

Also, when I think about how many hours it takes to properly detail a car, I don't see what you could possibly get for only $150
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Could be the claybar. Check the index under claybar marring.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pm me with your phone number and good time to call you.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wolf is the man. Call him.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,113 Likes on 986 Posts

Swilrl X is crap

Use http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html

Cuts fast and safe by hand. Then their Gold wax on top
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The challenge is the Vettes harder clearcoat, which seems amiss since it "seems" to scratch quite easily. I am warning in advance that with hand polishing it will take alot of time and very little results. Perhaps its time to consider a product with fillers to temporarily hide this marring. You can consider glazes and paint cleansing lotions that should help temporarily too. (I didnt suggest a machine, but you are probably realizing its true).
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Last year I spent a ridiculous amount of time using the Swirlx by hand with no real improvement in the paint.

This year I used a DA polisher with Wolfgang total swirl remover with excellent results. It did more in a fraction of the time then I was ever able to achieve by hand.
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Swilrl X is crap

Use http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html

Cuts fast and safe by hand. Then their Gold wax on top
I purposely avoided Ultimate Compound because it was the most aggressive and SwirlX was almost the least aggressive. Didn't want to make any irreversible mistakes
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sunset-C6
And another $500 to fix what the $150 guy messed up
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
I purposely avoided Ultimate Compound because it was the most aggressive and SwirlX was almost the least aggressive. Didn't want to make any irreversible mistakes
The clear on a Vette is Very hard. The swirlX just won't do it.

Ultimate with gentle but firm pressure. Try a door jamb 1st to get the feel for it. It's actually very easy to use with excellent results
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

What the Geek said...If you are not going to use a machine you need a glaze...and it will have to be done at least monthly....

You will never make any head way by hand either...

Zaino may fill in and help though...But that is more money...Better buy her a pair of earings and send her off with her mom for a weekend while you get things on order and IN order....
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

I enjoy spending the time working stuff in with my hands. I open the garage, turn on the radio, and break out all my towels and bottles.

Then I watch all the neighbors going about their Saturday and wonder if they think, "Man that guy is OCD. He's always out there cleaning that car!"

...but ya, porter cable is next on the list, with a hydraulic jack after that.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 years detailing here, 18 as a business...First off, your products aren't the best...Did you get a Popeil Pocket fisherman with the SwirlX??? You've spent a lot of money on your car, get the right products to take care of it...I'm sure your wife doesn't get her hair done at K-Mart...
First, I think when you said you used the clay bar for a while, it made me cringe...It's a slow easy process of removing surface contaminants, not for polishing the paint...There are also different grades of clay, fine would be ok for you...Lots of lube and it should glide over the paint, not drag along...Get rid of the IPA, not needed...Remember, paint breathes like your skin...You don't want to dry it out...If you want to remove old wax, some Dawn detergent will do fine and you don't need a lot of it...
At this point, it sounds like you need some correction, it's not irreversible...Pick up a Porter Cable, it's easy to use and you will get the enjoyment out of it like your looking for...There are some glazes out there that can hide your haze, but it will return after washing...What are you using to wash with too??? Wash Mitt?? I've always used a horse hair brush which doesn't retain the dirt your removing..Some wash mitts hold the dirt and then your dragging that around the car which can create the swirls/holograms your seeing..Also, wash from the top down...Don't drag the lower dirt upward...I use a clean soapy wash bucket and a rinse bucket too...
Basically, get someone to help you locally return the finish to normal and then use a good sealant to protect your investment...The DA/orbital movements of the PC take away the chances of doing any further damage...Leave the high speed machines to the pros and your car won't need it...
If you need any help with products, PM me...

Scott

Last edited by rowdymax; 05-27-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep screwing up hand detailing - need expert advice

Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

You say that Meguiars products aren't the best, but you didn't suggest anything else... other than... dish soap. HA

For the clay- it was always wet and never dragged. It just never felt like it was doing anything just gliding around, so I did it for awhile with the hopes of getting off the old wax.

For the alcohol- All these other people are talking about IPA wipedowns and getting all the residues off the surface and debating over what % dilution to use... Where does this all talk come from?

For the haze- im pretty confident that its SwirlX under the wax that is making it look that way. It is almost imperceptible as it is. I'll get some Dawn over it this weekend to get down to that layer. How do you go about a proper Dawn wax stripping?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rowdymax
30 years detailing here, 18 as a business...First off, your products aren't the best...Did you get a Popeil Pocket fisherman with the SwirlX??? You've spent a lot of money on your car, get the right products to take care of it...I'm sure your wife doesn't get her hair done at K-Mart...
First, I think when you said you used the clay bar for a while, it made me cringe...It's a slow easy process of removing surface contaminants, not for polishing the paint...There are also different grades of clay, fine would be ok for you...Lots of lube and it should glide over the paint, not drag along...Get rid of the IPA, not needed...Remember, paint breathes like your skin...You don't want to dry it out...If you want to remove old wax, some Dawn detergent will do fine and you don't need a lot of it...
At this point, it sounds like you need some correction, it's not irreversible...Pick up a Porter Cable, it's easy to use and you will get the enjoyment out of it like your looking for...There are some glazes out there that can hide your haze, but it will return after washing...What are you using to wash with too??? Wash Mitt?? I've always used a horse hair brush which doesn't retain the dirt your removing..Some wash mitts hold the dirt and then your dragging that around the car which can creat the swirls/holograms your seeing..Also, wash from the top down...Don't drag the lower dirt upward...I use a clean soapy wash bucket and a rinse bucket too...
Basically, get someone to help you locally return the finish to normal and then use a good sealant to protect your investment...The DA/orbital movements of the PC take away the chances of doing any further damage...Leave the high speed machines to the pros and your car won't need it...
If you need any help with products, PM me...

Scott
and good advice. For heavy paint correction I believe nothing beat a good RB!!! That's what I use and can do corrections in mins that would take hours with my DA,,,, I've also been doing this for awhile and do not recommend for inexperienced operator.... If it's requires a lot of correction find a GOOD experienced detailer and insist on references!! Lots of folks out there doing more damage then good. If you get the car right it's easy to take care of with a DA from then on...... it's well worth spending a couple hundred bucks for a pro. You know what it cost to repaint something?? A lot more than 200 bucks so it's money well spent imo!! Good luck...
Old 05-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1. Meguiars clay
2. Meguiars Swirl Remover (off-white bottle) if swirls are present, which they usually are.
3. Meguiars Show Car Glaze, which is a pure polish (off-white bottle)
4. Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 (multiple coats eight hours apart to allow for cure time).

I stop at the sealant. Some people apply carnauba wax over the sealant. Carnauba gives more depth, but it doesn't last very long.

I only use the professional line of Meguiars products. The Meguiars professional products are not typically available at mass merchandisers (e.g., Wal-Mart). Try a specialty auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Keep screwing up hand detailing - need expert advice