C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest Mod SWC Finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness

Originally Posted by kevakasper
Yup, you need the newer wheel, clockspring, and harness.
(don't know if you need the harness, but I have one )
Do you still have the harness you quoted I could buy it from you if you still have one
Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Jack Forbes
Do you still have the harness you quoted I could buy it from you if you still have one
Sold it with the car about 6 years ago
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Jack Forbes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevakasper
I just finished, successfully I might add , the Steering wheel control conversion on my 06, mn6 coupe. The whole job took me maybe 4 hours. The hardest part was re installing the new column harness.
Here are the parts required.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the 07 and up steering wheel harness, you need this to connect to the new clock spring which has three more wires than the 06 harness, 1 for the lighting in the switch, 1 for the 12v feed ( purple a6 cavity on the radio plug ) and one for the switch return wire ( blue a7 on the radio plug )

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the new 07 and up clockspring, it has a different connector and mates with the new connector in the new wheel

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the new wheel ( brand new ) that I bought for an '11 vette from E bay. It was in the factory box with the plastic still on it. I paid $125 shipped, which is what started this whole project. The best price I got from various vendors was about $230-240 plus shipping, so I jumped on it. The new wheel is necessary because GM does not service the wiring harness inside the wheel. You can buy the switches etc. but the wiring only comes with a new wheel.

[IMG][/IMG]

These are the connectors needed to plug into the back of the radio.
I got these from a Delphi supplier, bought a bunch as the shipping cost way more than the terminals.

[IMG][/IMG]

The patient

[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the battery cables and wait a few minute before doing anything to the AirBag system

[IMG][/IMG]

I had my service manuals on hand just in case.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tear down

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the new harness with the three wires needed removed from the connector. I did ths because they don't exist in the 06 wiring harness.
From here I fabricated, I add a male and female plug on these three wires to make future servicing possible. I got a plug from an old computer power supply.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished harness, time to put everything back together. I spliced the yellow light wire onto the orange wire on the Info / gauge switches
The other two went to the radio Main white plug

[IMG][/IMG]

Going back together, new clockspring and harness on, Just plug and play now

[IMG][/IMG]

Newer style connector to the SWC switch

[IMG][/IMG]

STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS!

[IMG][/IMG]

Finished project, everything works, switch on wheel lights up, and now I can toggle through the stations etc., while the Nav is still on!

Thanks for playing, Anyone need info on how to do this mod PM me!
So there is no way to use a new clock spring 07 and up without the made up harness to make it work, or can I run the two extra wires to the radio and make it work.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:42 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

So there is no way to use a new clock spring 07 and up without the made up harness to make it work, or can I run the two extra wires to the radio and make it work.
Someone did do that after I did mine, I don't know the details though. He added the missing wires that went to the clock spring and went directly to the radio.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I need to read this whole thing but I am too tired right now.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Read this.

Quick Reply: Newest Mod SWC Finished