C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat/Steerign memory Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Seat/Steerign memory Problem

2009 Coupe, A6, 3LT-
About one time in ten, either my seat or the steering column will not go to the proper memory position when starting or when exiting. Sometimes it will move a little, sometimes it doesn't move at all. I can always make it move with the switch on the seat or column.

The problem seems intermittant and random.
There is no evidence of binding or jamming.
If I reset the memory positions, that usually fixes the problem for a while but it eventually re-develops.

The dealer checked the connectors under the seat and replaced the memory module under warranty. Again, that fixed it for a while but it came back after a few weeks.

If the seat doesn't move at all, I can move it just a fraction with the switch on the side then hit the memory button again and the seat will go where it should. Someone suggested that means the memory system is losing the seat location signal and doesn't know where the seat is/should be, that may be true but i still don't know how they would fix it.

Suggestions?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
tcarden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same issue! I have read about controllers, switch connections, reset to limits, etc... no real fixes. I would be interested in further discussion on this, obviously, common quirk.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 PM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably should go out to check, but it's late & I'm lazy ... I think that the "automatic" memory positioning will not work on my car unless the emergency brake is engaged. Any chance your E-brake isn't pulled far enough to engage the switch every now & then?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 AM
SHOoff91
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually just happened to me today. Interested in seeing if someone has tracked down what causes this.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarden
I have the exact same issue! I have read about controllers, switch connections, reset to limits, etc... no real fixes. I would be interested in further discussion on this, obviously, common quirk.
Not to hijack, but new to c6. How is it supposed to work? So far I can tell it easy exits when parking brake engaged and door open button pushed. On re-entry, I have to push memory button. Is that correct?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Not to hijack, but new to c6. How is it supposed to work? So far I can tell it easy exits when parking brake engaged and door open button pushed. On re-entry, I have to push memory button. Is that correct?

On reentry my car knows which fob I am using and adjusts accordingly without me pressing anything. Would also do the same if I pressed unlock on the fob.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rc135_tx
I probably should go out to check, but it's late & I'm lazy ... I think that the "automatic" memory positioning will not work on my car unless the emergency brake is engaged. Any chance your E-brake isn't pulled far enough to engage the switch every now & then?
Originally Posted by jedblanks
Originally Posted by gp56
On reentry my car knows which fob I am using and adjusts accordingly without me pressing anything. Would also do the same if I pressed unlock on the fob.
On the A6 like ours, the seat goes to the Exit position when you open the door, and goes to the Driving position after the engine starts; presuming you have the memory system and it's activated in the DIC. The parking brake is not part of the equation.

On the M6 cars, it works differently and I think the parking brake and buttons are required at certain times. It's all hidden in the secret Owner Manual.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
rc135_tx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
... It's all hidden in the secret Owner Manual.
It is. Told you I was lazy: (from the 2006 manual)

P. 2-73 "If your vehicle has the Auto Memory Recall feature and it is turned on in the Driver Information Center (DIC), the seat, mirrors, and telescopic steering column position will automatically adjust to their programmed positions when the engine is started. See “Auto Memory Recall” under DIC Vehicle Personalization on page 3-68 for more information."

P. 2-74: "To recall an exit position, do one of the following:
• If you have an automatic transmission vehicle, press and release the exit button while the vehicle is in PARK (P).
One beep will sound and the exit position for the currently identified driver will be recalled.
• If you have a manual transmission vehicle, press and release the exit button. The parking brake needs to be set to recall the memory position.
One beep will sound and the exit position for the currently identified driver will be recalled.
If your vehicle has the Auto Exit Recall feature and it is turned on in the DIC, automatic seat and telescopic steering column movement to the exit position will occur when you use the keyless access transmitter to unlock your vehicle or when you turn the engine off and open the driver’s door. See “Auto Exit Recall” under DIC Vehicle Personalization on page 3-68 for more information."
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Two things to try when these memory issues come up.

Disconnect the battery negative for 10 minutes and let the computer of the car reboot. Then reset your memory settings. Many times this cures the problem.

Another thing to try is to reset the indexing of the components. With the C5 this was done by moving each item throughout the entire ranges of all the directional settings. Make sure you go to the end of each range of motion limit. Then reset your memory settings.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
2009 Coupe, A6, 3LT-
About one time in ten, either my seat or the steering column will not go to the proper memory position when starting or when exiting. Sometimes it will move a little, sometimes it doesn't move at all. I can always make it move with the switch on the seat or column.

The problem seems intermittant and random.
There is no evidence of binding or jamming.
If I reset the memory positions, that usually fixes the problem for a while but it eventually re-develops.

The dealer checked the connectors under the seat and replaced the memory module under warranty. Again, that fixed it for a while but it came back after a few weeks.

If the seat doesn't move at all, I can move it just a fraction with the switch on the side then hit the memory button again and the seat will go where it should. Someone suggested that means the memory system is losing the seat location signal and doesn't know where the seat is/should be, that may be true but i still don't know how they would fix it.

Suggestions?

I know that you said you had the dealer replace the memory module, but sometimes I have read that this issue comes up when there is something getting disconnected under the seat. I would check connections again. I know the dealer did that, but I recently read a post where there was a connection loose on an owner's Corvette and when he went out to check the connection, it worked great again.

I know you said the dealer checked it. Is it possible that there is some catching going on under the seat? Maybe some catching is making it a little loose.

I guess I am just throwing out some options. Connections have been the issue in the past.

Good luck Jim,

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Brent above is correct about the wiring harness under the seat.

Check that connection for rust and solidness of the fit plus the pin alignment of the connectors. If an airbag light comes on this connection can also be suspect.

I also had an issue like this and it was not the connector. Replaced part # 88898558 adjuster and # 15296303 module. Repaired by dealer on warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat/Steerign memory Problem

Quick Reply: Seat/Steerign memory Problem