C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to replace: Actuator, Fuel Filler Door Release

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Had to replace: Actuator, Fuel Filler Door Release

Filled up with gas yesterday, and the solenoid pulled the release plunger IN, but would not come back out. Used the manual pull cable to actually push the plunger back out, but apparently the spring or whatever pushes it back out broke (so the fuel filler door would not stay closed). So I went to my local Chevy dealer, and they had the actuator and cable assembly IN STOCK (I love that about Chevrolet / GM)! Spent the afternoon taking my time putting it in...had to pull back the driver's side rear carpeting, and remove the wheel and then remove most of the screws for the driver's side rear wheelhouse panel to get at the cable and side of the fuel filler.
When buying the new assembly, the dealer remarked that this was the FIRST TIME they had EVER sold one! I only have 20K miles on the car (2006, Z51), so relatively speaking, I've not done that many fill-ups. I wonder how many others have had to replace this? (Fuel door will open, but the plunger won't came back out, thus cannot close/lock the door)?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
Filled up with gas yesterday, and the solenoid pulled the release plunger IN, but would not come back out. Used the manual pull cable to actually push the plunger back out, but apparently the spring or whatever pushes it back out broke (so the fuel filler door would not stay closed). So I went to my local Chevy dealer, and they had the actuator and cable assembly IN STOCK (I love that about Chevrolet / GM)! Spent the afternoon taking my time putting it in...had to pull back the driver's side rear carpeting, and remove the wheel and then remove most of the screws for the driver's side rear wheelhouse panel to get at the cable and side of the fuel filler.
When buying the new assembly, the dealer remarked that this was the FIRST TIME they had EVER sold one! I only have 20K miles on the car (2006, Z51), so relatively speaking, I've not done that many fill-ups. I wonder how many others have had to replace this? (Fuel door will open, but the plunger won't came back out, thus cannot close/lock the door)?
You could have replaced the spring in the actuator for under a buck. Save the old one and take it apart and insert a 1/4 " spring. You could use it as a spare! It's a common problem that's why the dealer had it in stock. I've done mine and 2 others for friends.

Last edited by C8-Vette; 06-05-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM
ofallonrick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
You could have replaced the spring in the actuator for under a buck. Save the old one and take it apart and insert a 1/4 " spring. You could use it as a spare! It's a common problem that's why the dealer had it in stock. I've done mine and 2 others for friends.
Do tell on how to do this my spring is sprung....
Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Codez
Intermediate

Here's a link to an DIY fuel door fix.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...cement-diy.pdf

Here's another link with more detailed pictures. I'm tackling this project tomorrow....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...se-sticks.html

Last edited by Codez; 06-23-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: post link
Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

i replaced the spring as well...when i found out the part was $100 and the actuator was still working fine....$0.89 at lowes.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Codez
Intermediate

What an easy DIY fix. Like others, I discovered a rusty and broken spring that I replaced with one from Ace hardware ($1.45). I had to snip the replacement spring down a bit, but again, easy stuff.

Fuel door stays shut each and every time now....took about 45 minutes in all, and that counts cleaning off the inside fenderwell and rim.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
cesarcano06
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The fuel tank fill door lock

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
i replaced the spring as well...when i found out the part was $100 and the actuator was still working fine....$0.89 at lowes.
I just got mine like that, my fuel door will not stay lock or close, So I went to the dealer and I will have to pay $269.00 for the whole thing. I need to find out how to do that so I can replace mine like you did... lol.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Vettefan#852
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Door Fix

2005 Z51 50k Miles
Fuel door would not stay closed yesterday. Determined the solenoid was ok and the 'return spring' at the door end of the control cable had probably failed. Others have had this failure. Rather than replacing the spring that would have required removing the rear tire, inner fender, etc. I elected to add a new spring at the actuator assembly. Purchased a 13/16 x 3-1/4 compression spring (P/N 88228) at Menards (89 cents) and cut it to 1/2" in length. Disconnected control cable from solenoid assembly and slipped the spring over the barrel of the assembly and reattached the cable that goes to the fuel door. Took all of 15 minutes after getting the spring. Works just fine.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:10 AM
VMI-2002
Intermediate

Default Replace sp

Originally Posted by Vettefan#852
2005 Z51 50k Miles
Fuel door would not stay closed yesterday. Determined the solenoid was ok and the 'return spring' at the door end of the control cable had probably failed. Others have had this failure. Rather than replacing the spring that would have required removing the rear tire, inner fender, etc. I elected to add a new spring at the actuator assembly. Purchased a 13/16 x 3-1/4 compression spring (P/N 88228) at Menards (89 cents) and cut it to 1/2" in length. Disconnected control cable from solenoid assembly and slipped the spring over the barrel of the assembly and reattached the cable that goes to the fuel door. Took all of 15 minutes after getting the spring. Works just fine.
Thanks for this input. Hoping to save a trip to the mechanic. How did you disconnect the solenoid cable from the control assembly? I have a 2006 convertible and can access it by opening the storage area for the roof. I found the cable going through a rubber plug towards the release mechanism. I can't seem to find where the cable disconnects. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Vettefan#852
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Door Latch Spring

Originally Posted by VMI-2002
Thanks for this input. Hoping to save a trip to the mechanic. How did you disconnect the solenoid cable from the control assembly? I have a 2006 convertible and can access it by opening the storage area for the roof. I found the cable going through a rubber plug towards the release mechanism. I can't seem to find where the cable disconnects. Thanks!
I have a coupe so access to the solenoid (release mech.) may be a little different than your car. My solenoid is just behind the interior vertical carpet lining the rear storage compartment. Access is very easy - just pull back the top edge of the carpet. My cable has a black plastic fitting at the end of the cable where it attaches to the solenoid assembly. The fitting has two fingers 180 degrees apart. A small barb on the end of the finger secures the fitting to the solenoid assembly. The fingers can be carefully spread apart to detach the cable. A new spring can then be placed over the solenoid shaft. The cable can be reattached by simply pushing it on - the barbs have an angled surface to force the fingers open as the cable is attached to the assembly. Unbolt the solenoid assembly from the rear fender when adding the spring - it make the job very easy. Hope this works for you. Bob S.
The following users liked this post:
bizwiz (03-21-2021)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:08 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

I have been trying to fix the Fuel Door on my 2011 GS convertible. Is the fuel door assembly different on mine than on the 2006. I'm not a mechanic and don't want to get involved in something that I can't fix. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:05 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by Dano523:
Dave Carney (11-23-2022), FLC6GS (05-17-2020), LiLi (05-18-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:00 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Good information, thanks for posting.

Get notified of new replies

To Had to replace: Actuator, Fuel Filler Door Release

Quick Reply: Had to replace: Actuator, Fuel Filler Door Release