C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Noise on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Browntailguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise on Acceleration

I posted something about this topic a couple years ago and I am still having the same noise and it seems like it might be getting louder. I have 2007 LMB coupe 6 spd. I noticed about 6 months after I got it a strange noise when the engine heats up and on acceleration. During acceleration it sounds like a supercharger or something a high pitched whine that increases in sound and frequency the faster I would accelerate. I have taken it to my dealership 3 times and each time they say there is nothing wrong. Tomorrow morning I am taking to a different service department to see if they can see what the deal is.

One more note. Last night out of curiosity when on the highway with it making the same noise I depressed the clutch and voila the noise seemed to go away. My neighbor who has a 1997 vette said his had the same problem twice and they had to replace the idler arm pully???? Not sure if my 2007 has it but it sounds like it is a drive train or tranny issue.

Anyone have any experience with my problem? And what should I tell the dealership tomorrow when I drop her off?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

I have this problem when i accelerate at highway speeds, but as soon as i let off the gas the faint high pitched sound goes away. I think its the rear differential. I just got back from the dealship and they drove it themselves and blamed the noise on my tires going bad. I'm getting new tires tomarrow and will find out if they are right about the tires making the noise. So does your noise stop only in neutral? or any time you stop accelerating? If i still have the problem with my new tires, im hoping new fluid in the rear differential will fix it
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Browntailguy
Advanced

I will take it out for a spin in a little bit to see if it goes away when I get off the gas. I am thinking it is still there, but will let you know. I was just looking at my tires today. The rears look fine but the fronts are a little old looking. Car has 17K on the original tires.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it isnt your tires. i have brand new non run flat Firestone Firehawks on my 05 Z51 6 speed 50,000 miles. and it makes the same noise. you let off gas or push clutch in noise goes away. i'm thinking transmission. haven't gotten around to changing fluid in tranny or rear differential. doing some research on this many people have the same problem. i cant believe GM never had a recall for this problem. since it is really common. it is really hard for me to believe that a corvette being a high end GM prouduct has this on going issue. another member has told me he has driven his for 40,000 miles with this issue. mine is a convertible. and can't hear noise with top down. but when it is up is really noticeable. i love my corvette. but i am really disapointed at this problem. car is out of warranty. just can't believe i take care of it and don't beat on it. and now this.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Is there a cat in the engine compartment ?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Is there a cat in the engine compartment ?
that is what i love the most about this forum. people come here looking for answers to problems they are having with their cars and always a wise guy there to make fun of their problems.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

Iv had the problem for awhile too on my 05, hoping fluid will fix the problem, will the stuff the dealership use suffice?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it does it in all the gears, it's probably the differential.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:34 AM
wiggins82abn
Advanced

Default Been there

My 05 is doing the same thing the OP described, to the letter. It started when I installed a CAI. I originally thought it was a belt problem or maybe the Crank Pulley.

I took it to a dealer in the Nashville area and to an aftermarket mechanic, and they both said that it was an issue with the tune, and they have both seen it often. ( I have no idea how it could be related to the computer). But it is hard to argue with two professionals who gave the same diagnosis, when a second opinion was sought.

How could it be the differential or the tranny, when the noise is coming from the engine bay??? I am just sayin.....
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Did you end up getting this situation resolved or taking it to the dealer yourself?

I am curious to see what happens here.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Browntailguy
Advanced

Just dropped it off. Took it for a spin last night and on the way to the dealer this morning. The noise is still there even when I get off the gas but it is very faint. It really gets louder as I accelerate and it does it in all gears. When I push in the clutch voila no more noise. I can't isolate on the car where it is coming from. We shall see what the "experts" at chevy say.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

Im getting my tires today and im thinking of getting the fluid replaced tomarrow at the dealership in the differential. Now mine is bone stock other the wheels and tires. So it cant be blamed on anything else aftermarket. Mine has also happend for a long time though to due not driving on the highway much i dont notice it everyday. It is in multiple gears above 55 increasing in noise at 70+. If I do end up getting it fixed ill let you know, though i think its cheap parts on the differential that need to be replaced and i dont feel the fluid will fix it.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
bugsas99
Pro

Originally Posted by C6CorvetteZ51
Im getting my tires today and im thinking of getting the fluid replaced tomarrow at the dealership in the differential. Now mine is bone stock other the wheels and tires. So it cant be blamed on anything else aftermarket. Mine has also happend for a long time though to due not driving on the highway much i dont notice it everyday. It is in multiple gears above 55 increasing in noise at 70+. If I do end up getting it fixed ill let you know, though i think its cheap parts on the differential that need to be replaced and i dont feel the fluid will fix it.
please let me know what is the end result here. thank-you and good luck..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

During acceleration it sounds like a supercharger or something a high pitched whine that increases in sound and frequency the faster I would accelerate.
The Corvette version of a playing card in your spokes?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,575 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The only way to isolate the sound is for the mechanic to place sensors in the suspect areas, like the tranny, rear end and wheel bearings, and go for a ride with a listening device that communicates with each of the sensors individually. We just went through this with a friend's Z06 yesterday and in a matter of minutes we were able to determine that his RPM related noise was exhaust related. This should be done with your situation.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Browntailguy
Advanced

As I suspected the dealership put one of their vette guys on the case. Result was "nothing out of the ordinary" nothing wrong with the car.

What next?

Thinking of taking it to a local garage that specializes in corvettes and see what they find. If they find something I can take it back to the dealership hopefully and see if they will concur and fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Noise on Acceleration

Quick Reply: Strange Noise on Acceleration