C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Seats versus the Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM
meridock
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Base Seats versus the Sport Seats

Guys,

Looking for comments both positive and negative on the factory seats. I have a 2006 LT1 with the base seats. When I compare them to my previous cars:
  • G8 GT: Comfy but not at all sport oriented.
  • Subaru STi: Good Balance in the seat - Alcantara covered and good seating position and feel.
  • Mustang GT: Comfy but not at all sport oriented.

The Base seats are ok (uncomfortable left thigh seating,) but how are the Sport seats? I am thinking I might be able to pick up the Sport seats for better feel and such. If you have sat in both what would a good reference point for me.

Comments?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have 1LT base seats in my 2009. Uncomfortable from day 1, lower back discomfort after just a few hours driving.

Problem fixed with $40 kit:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000050H#
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-than-new.html

I'm sure others will chime in with opinions on base vs. sports seats.

Anyway, I'd suggest you try the above kit first. It might be all the improvement you need. I'm definitely VERY pleased with it.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by meridock
Guys,

Looking for comments both positive and negative on the factory seats. I have a 2006 LT1 with the base seats. When I compare them to my previous cars:
  • Subaru STi: Good Balance in the seat - Alcantara covered and good seating position and feel.

The Base seats are ok (uncomfortable left thigh seating,) but how are the Sport seats? I am thinking I might be able to pick up the Sport seats for better feel and such. If you have sat in both what would a good reference point for me.

Comments?
The only difference between your seats and the sport seats is the adjustable lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters and maybe seat heaters. There is a thread on the forum that describes how to add those to your seats and lists the PNs that have to be purchased. Probably can do for a lot less than buying a set of sport seats at $900 for a good used set. Then all you have to do is add a power seat track for the passenger side. You can use the seat cover skins that are currently on your seats now.

Bill
Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Mykill Myers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is a thread on the forum that describes how to add those to your seats and lists the PNs that have to be purchased.
Bill
Does anyone have a link to this thread Bill Dearborn is mentioning? Tried finding it and failed. Id love to add these to my base seats rather than buying new seats
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The only difference between your seats and the sport seats is the adjustable lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters and maybe seat heaters. There is a thread on the forum that describes how to add those to your seats and lists the PNs that have to be purchased. Probably can do for a lot less than buying a set of sport seats at $900 for a good used set. Then all you have to do is add a power seat track for the passenger side. You can use the seat cover skins that are currently on your seats now.

Bill
The sport seats also have side impact air bags which may or may not be a problem as far as wiring is concerned.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

Comments?
I have an 06 , 3LT vert. The seats are very comfortable, but only due to the air bladder adjustments for lumbar and side bolsters. If I deflate those bladders, the seats are very average. However my wife and I both agree, that when adjusted to suit the individual , very comfortable. We often alter the adjustments during a long drive to reduce fatigue, at our ages, non adjustable seats are not an option. If you have an opportunity to do so, try them and see what your impressions are. Good luck with your research.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While the sport seats might be comfortable, they are not at all sport oriented. Offer very little lateral support.

I'm not at all impressed with them. If you take a hard turn you'll be using your knees, elbows and steering wheel to keep from sliding around.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Doesn't matter what kind of Corvette seat you have.

Let's put it this way. In terms of sportiness:

GM < La-Z-Boy
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
meridock
Racer

thanks all - I think I need to look at the 40 dollar option.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:25 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Just went from base seat to sport in new GS. Huge difference. lumbar, side adjust, perferated, and more padded. the seat I have is slightly upgraded headrest with heritage pkg. looks like top of new 2012 seat. I have low back issues and is better.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
The sport seats also have side impact air bags which may or may not be a problem as far as wiring is concerned.
Yeah, they do have those but why monkey around trying to solve the issues with wiring them in if he doesn't have side air bags. Just mod the current seat to add the things that he wants.

Bill
Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 3LT has the Sport Seats, I like the perforated leather and side airbags. Considering how most people use their Corvettes, the "sportiness" of the seats is probably about the right compromise between easy entry/exit, and lateral support.

But the actual comfort of the seats is pretty poor for both of us. One magazine described the seats as "like sitting on multiple loafs of bread", and that's about right.

With the lumbar bladder deflated, the seats are:
"Limp and floppy with no back support"

With the lumbar bladder properly adjusted, the seats are:
"Limp and floppy with no back support but a hard lump in the middle"

The seats in our 2001 3LT were much better.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Mykill Myers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-adjustable lumbar support
-adjustable side bolsters
-seat heaters

Anyone know the part numbers for these items?
Searching through corvettefurom turned up some C5 era threads but nothing about the C6. Maybe they are hidden inside a thread rather than in subject line?

If anyone knows the thread(s) where it is discussed how to modify a base seat and turn it into a sport seat OR if anyone knows the PNs for those parts mentioned above, could you chime in?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 PM
meridock
Racer

so this last weekend I did 750 miles in 36 hours - I can say without a doubt the base seats need the padding replaced on the left side where the thigh hits. Just need to find time to do this.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill
On mine, a 2009. the sport seats also got you side airbags. Not important, unless someone broadsides you. But what the hell, we alll gotta die sometime.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks all - I think I need to look at the 40 dollar option.
Here is the link to the thread about the $40 seat repair kit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-than-new.html

They are now being sold by a number of forum vendors including Corvette Central, Southern Car Parts, Volunteer Corvette, and West Cost Corvette. Also, check eBay.

If you have any trouble finding it, send me an email.

Get notified of new replies

To Base Seats versus the Sport Seats

Quick Reply: Base Seats versus the Sport Seats