C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Ultrashield film applied to the front end and headlight lenses on my 2004 RX-8 (bought in summer 2003/traded it in when I got my 2011 GS) and all the covered body panels plus the headlight lenses looked as good as the day I bought it when I traded it in last June 2012. The previous owner of the GS had the full 3M film kit applied, including the headlights, so they are already covered. I just wash & wax the film like the rest of the car and don't worry about bugs/chips/etc as the film prevents those from affecting the actual plastic of the lenses.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Curious if this can be for the red tail light lenses, as well? Evidently the dealerships own body shop, while in to repair a "bump" on the rear, removed them and scratched every tail light slightly. Bozo's didn't put them down on anything that would protect them obviously. Granted, no one would even notice (except me and most here) but . . . .
Old 05-12-2013, 05:38 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

My headlights seem to have a haze on the inside. Any ideas on how to repair this?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 AM
DJMDVM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
My headlights seem to have a haze on the inside. Any ideas on how to repair this?
I have a 2005 C6 that had severe crazing of both front headlight lens. I thought it was on the inside , TOO. But before I removed and replaced the lens I did this with great success : purchased a 3M headlight kit to get drill adapter and SOME sanding disc, purchased a box of 320 grit wet sanding disc [ more than I needed in the box ] . TAPED OFF EDGES OF LENS AND COVERED CAR WITH 2- 50 GALLON TRASH BAGS WITH HOLES CUT AND TAPED TO LENS. REPAIR : hand sanded WITH 320. then used a portable drill with pad attached 320 grit-- moving over the entire lens till ALL !!!!!!!!! OF THE SPOTS WERE REMOVED--- IT REALLY TOOK A LOT MORE THAN I EXPECTED. CAN CHECK BY WIPING OFF WITH BOTH A WET AND DRY TOWEL AND LOOKING CAREFULLY FOR ANY SPOTS!!!! THEN 320 WET SANDED . THEN PROGRESSED 500 800 1000 2000 DRY THEN WET SANDING. WET SANDED WITH 3000- wiped clean with alcohol then SPRAYED RUSTOLEUM 2X CLEAR--- 4 TO 6 COATS [ ONE CAN / LENS] --- ALLOW TO DRY FOR 24 - 48 HOURS-- CLOUDYNESS CLEARS AS IT DRYS--- THEN: WET SAND WITH 2000 TO REMOVE ALL THE ORANGE PEAL then wet sanded with 3000-- BUFF WITH ENCLOSED 3M RUBBING CPD, THEN BUFF/POLISH WITH LIGHT RUBBING CPD TILL CLEAR / SMOOTH AND GLOSSY . ALLOW TO DRY FOR 5-7 DAYS --- 95% +/_ improved -- I thought they looked great-- clear coat has a UV protection IN THE CLEAR COAT !!! HAD TO RECHARGE BATTERY MANY TIMES !! VARIABLE SPEED ELECTRIC DRILL ON LOWER SPEED WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT.

Last edited by DJMDVM; 09-18-2015 at 02:45 AM. Reason: left out step
The following users liked this post:
SteveDoten@ARH (05-02-2016)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:01 AM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by montereyred
I realize that if I were to use a headlight retsoration kit that it would basically eliminate the clear coat that covers the headlight lens. I have purchased the pre-cut (generic) static film headlights cover product with the intent that that would replace the need for UV coating on the lens as my c6 is in the garage 95% of the time all year.
I have the same problem with the foglights.
By the way, not completely my fault as I bought my 07 "pre-owned" with 49k on the odometer. Ive put 3k on it in the past year.
any help would be appreciated!

montyred
I also have a Montyred 07 high mileage DD. Maybe I'm not to picky but I used this (Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit), which was rated "best" by Consumer Report. It was a six step process with the final step being a UV-blocking polymer coating. So far I'm happy with the results for $20. But like I said I'm not OCD.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DJMDVM
I have a 2005 C6 that had severe crazing of both front headlight lens. I thought it was on the inside , TOO. But before I removed and replaced the lens I did this with great success : purchased a 3M headlight kit to get drill adapter and SOME sanding disc, purchased a box of 320 grit wet sanding disc [ more than I needed in the box ] . TAPED OFF EDGES OF LENS AND COVERED CAR WITH 2- 50 GALLON TRASH BAGS WITH HOLES CUT AND TAPED TO LENS. REPAIR : hand sanded WITH 320. then used a portable drill with pad attached 320 grit-- moving over the entire lens till ALL !!!!!!!!! OF THE SPOTS WERE REMOVED--- IT REALLY TOOK A LOT MORE THAN I EXPECTED. CAN CHECK BY WIPING OFF WITH BOTH A WET AND DRY TOWEL AND LOOKING CAREFULLY FOR ANY SPOTS!!!! THEN 320 WET SANDED . THEN PROGRESSED 500 800 1000 2000 DRY THEN WET SANDING. WET SANDED WITH 3000- wiped clean with alcohol then SPRAYED RUSTOLEUM 2X CLEAR--- 4 TO 6 COATS [ ONE CAN / LENS] --- ALLOW TO DRY FOR 24 - 48 HOURS-- CLOUDYNESS CLEARS AS IT DRYS--- THEN: WET SAND WITH 2000 TO REMOVE ALL THE ORANGE PEAL then wet sanded with 3000-- BUFF WITH ENCLOSED 3M RUBBING CPD, THEN BUFF/POLISH WITH LIGHT RUBBING CPD TILL CLEAR / SMOOTH AND GLOSSY . ALLOW TO DRY FOR 5-7 DAYS --- 95% +/_ improved -- I thought they looked great-- clear coat has a UV protection IN THE CLEAR COAT !!! HAD TO RECHARGE BATTERY MANY TIMES !! VARIABLE SPEED ELECTRIC DRILL ON LOWER SPEED WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT.
I didn't realize this could be done, interesting.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by DJMDVM
PHOTOS would be nice
NSF
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM
ajohnson1995
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

****EDIT**** I just continued to read the comments and see someone else posted that they did something almost identical to the process I did so take this for what its worth :p

My headlights on my car were very hazed and faded, along with all the scratches and such. I had purchased a pair of new lenses from RLSebring and although in the grand scheme of things $400 wasnt that much, but being on a budget like myself (21 years old) I decided I wanted to try and restore the current lenses before I swapped out for the new ones... I had some time last weekend and nothing to lose if the current lenses didnt come out good. I originally thought it was on the inside of the lens so there was nothing I could do but upon further ispection realized that was not the case and it was on the OUTSIDE.

I started out by wet sanding with 600 grit, then 1000, and then 2000. I then clear coated the lenses with rust-oleum UV resistant spray paint. Let them dry overnight and then wet sanded the clear coat with 2000 grit sandpaper to get rid of any orange peel. I finished off by polishing and waxing the lenses.

They obviously arent 110% but they look 1000 times better then they did before, and all with $10 in materials I sold the replacement lenses the next day and that put 400 bucks back in my pocket to spend on a different mod

I wish I had taken close up shots of the lenses before, so you could get a better idea of how poor of condition they were in but this is the best I've got. This is what they looked like the day I picked the car up.
Attached Images    

Last edited by ajohnson1995; 05-03-2016 at 01:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mbsnmisc (03-20-2017)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by o_town_racer
I had Ultrashield film applied to the front end and headlight lenses on my 2004 RX-8 (bought in summer 2003/traded it in when I got my 2011 GS) and all the covered body panels plus the headlight lenses looked as good as the day I bought it when I traded it in last June 2012. The previous owner of the GS had the full 3M film kit applied, including the headlights, so they are already covered. I just wash & wax the film like the rest of the car and don't worry about bugs/chips/etc as the film prevents those from affecting the actual plastic of the lenses.
I have Xpel on the front of my car and the lenses. No scratches and I expect it to stay thay way.

Quick Reply: Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?