C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunoco Gas..okay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Sunoco is all I've ever used.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
It's Conoco/Philips, not BP/Philips. BP owns Arco....unfortunately. Arco was a great american oil company.
BP also owns AMOCO
Old 06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

That is all I use, no issues ever with it.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting on where the major companies get their oil from.

Ive alway used Shell but there is a local Sunoco that I will consider using instead.

Last edited by SnakeBT6; 06-23-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I'm sure many of us remember back in the '60s & '70's using "Sunoco 260"... 98 octane and dyed red !
Yep, back in '74 a 1/8th tank of Sunoco 260 in my '73 Vega w/stock 2bbl Holley and Turbo-350 got me down the quarter mile in 15.6 and earned me class winner and a 2ft trophy. Can't never forget that one....
Oh yeah, I did pull the air cleaner off before the run...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Now hurry out and buy some 'top tier gasoline', but hurry supplies are limited. Operators are standing by. But wait there's more, call now and get a second scam free. Just pay additional processing and handling.
Whether you choose to believe it or not, to earn top tier gas designation, you must pass very real and quite significant tests measuring gasoline cleanliness and detergency. The designation is recognized by auto manufacturers. While it obviously has marketing implications, it is not a meaningless invention of the bad old oil companies. It is a designation with significance that matters to engine cleanliness.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by DRLC5
The following gas companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell................................... ... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco..................... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil........................ 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway............. 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.................................. 62,231,000 barrels

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco..........................0 barrels
Conoco...........................0 barrels
Sinclair.........................0 barrels
BP/Phillips....................0 barrels
Hess..............................0 barrels
ARC0..............................0 barrels
Maverick.......................0 barrels
Flying J..........................0 barrels
Valero.............................0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA *.............0 barrels *Sold at Wal-Mart , gas is from South

There is only so much oil out there, and whether we like it or not, the USA taken as a whole must import some Arabian oil. There is not enough non-Arabian oil to satisfy our demand. If you mark off Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Amoco because of Arabian Oil, you are not only kidding yourself, you are marking off some very good, top tier gas. Incidentally, Arco, Sinclair, and Amoco are all merged into, or subsidiaries of BP. I don’t know how they decide that Amoco imports Arabian oil and the others don’t. World wide, BP imports a ton of Arabian crude. Citgo’s relationship to Venezuela/Chavez is different. They are totally owned by Venezuela. Most of the other companies have small joint venture interests here and there with countries that some consider controversial, but that is typical of all corporations today, and none of those interests even approaches being big enough to be a controlling, or even very influential interest. So bottom line, if you want to walk away from an oil company due to association with questionable countries, you may have at least some reason to do so with Citgo. But for the others, it's a zero sum game. You might buy more "US gas", but since US consumption is so far over US production of oil, that simply means someone else will buy less "US gas".
Old 06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Sinclair is not part of BP....it is privately held and is headquartered in Salt Lake City
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM
LDB
Drifting

Sinclair is not part of BP....it is privately held and is headquartered in Salt Lake City
I stand corrected. Upon doing a bit of internet research, I found that Sinclair did merge with Arco, and Arco with BP. However, as a condition of the Sinclair/Arco merger, the feds made them divest the western part of the Sinclair operation. That escaped my notice, as I live in Houston, and what had been the Sinclair operations here disappeared. My apology for the error. Today’s Sinclair is indeed a relatively small independent company, operating mostly in the west.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That's all I've used for over 25 years now. Their rewards card doesn't hurt either. Over $1,200 in savings so far.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm sure many of us remember back in the '60s & '70's using "Sunoco 260"... 98 octane and dyed red !
I remember pulling into a gas station and the price for "260" was .529 I said to myself "I aint paying that for gas" and left

Clif
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LDB
I stand corrected. Upon doing a bit of internet research, I found that Sinclair did merge with Arco, and Arco with BP. However, as a condition of the Sinclair/Arco merger, the feds made them divest the western part of the Sinclair operation. That escaped my notice, as I live in Houston, and what had been the Sinclair operations here disappeared. My apology for the error. Today’s Sinclair is indeed a relatively small independent company, operating mostly in the west.
42nd largest privately held company in the US...$ 7 billion in sales.....not all that small really...
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
95PoloGreen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember it well. It's all I ran in my 67 Camaro SS 350. It was about 30 cents a gallon to boot. The lead in it caused a short life for the spark plugs however. 10,000 mile tune ups were common.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
Whether you choose to believe it or not, to earn top tier gas designation, you must pass very real and quite significant tests measuring gasoline cleanliness and detergency. The designation is recognized by auto manufacturers. While it obviously has marketing implications, it is not a meaningless invention of the bad old oil companies. It is a designation with significance that matters to engine cleanliness.
That is exactly like saying all Pepsi products are made to exact Pepsi specifications and are somehow better because they have the Pepsi logo on the can. Guess what beverage will not be on the 'Pepsi' list? Yea, Coke. So the Pepsi marketing somehow makes the Pepsi better than Coke? No, not really.

"top tier" is hardly an independent standard for measuring quality. It is not an SAE designation. It is a name brand gimmick 100% for the purpose of marketing.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
LDB
Drifting

42nd largest privately held company in the US...$ 7 billion in sales.....not all that small really...
Your size comment, which I don't doubt is true, points out an interesting aspect of why oil companies are so unpopular. Though 7 billion in sales, and 42th largest US company sounds big, when you consider it in the context of oil companies, it is quite small. It only amounts to about 200,000 barrels per day, way less than the capacity of one typical refinery of the majors. That huge size of the majors means huge profit in dollars, but when you shift to the more meaningful terms of dollars proft per dollar invested, the picture changes. A single big refinery or a single big production platform is in the multi-billion dollar cost range. If you look at oil company profits as a percent return on investment, they are strictly middle of the road in comparison to other industries. That is not to say people should feel sorry for us. But we shouldn’t be cast as villians either. If we were really the kings of profit, everybody would want our stock, and its value would go through the roof. That does not happen, proving that we are pretty much average in terms of percent profit return on dollars invested, which is the only meaningful way of looking at profit.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by EDinPA
That is exactly like saying all Pepsi products are made to exact Pepsi specifications and are somehow better because they have the Pepsi logo on the can. Guess what beverage will not be on the 'Pepsi' list? Yea, Coke. So the Pepsi marketing somehow makes the Pepsi better than Coke? No, not really.

"top tier" is hardly an independent standard for measuring quality. It is not an SAE designation. It is a name brand gimmick 100% for the purpose of marketing.
Your mind seems made up on top tier and I will probably not be able to change it, never mind that GM, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Audi, and VW also buy in. The difference from using top tier relative to next tier is not something you will notice in 10,000 miles, but it is in 50,000. I’ve seen the engines actually disassembled after testing, and I know. Of course, I could be some know-nothing posting blither blather for my own glory, or I could be a marketing guy who wouldn’t know a refinery from a tank farm. But I’m actually a chemical engineer who spent a career in the middle of refineries and fuels/lubes research.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM
LDB
Drifting

Before you reply in anger, after re-reading my last post, I see that it could be interpreted as me saying that you are a know-nothing. That’s not what I intended. I was just trying to make the point that I am not a know-nothing who is trying to boost top tier sales. I would presume that your comments are honest and well intentioned, but like many, with all the bad press the oil companies get, you mis-trust them. None of us are perfect, myself included as indicated by my clumsy wording. But the top tier differences are there.

Get notified of new replies

To Sunoco Gas..okay?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LDB
Your size comment, which I don't doubt is true, points out an interesting aspect of why oil companies are so unpopular. Though 7 billion in sales, and 42th largest US company sounds big, when you consider it in the context of oil companies, it is quite small. It only amounts to about 200,000 barrels per day, way less than the capacity of one typical refinery of the majors. That huge size of the majors means huge profit in dollars, but when you shift to the more meaningful terms of dollars proft per dollar invested, the picture changes. A single big refinery or a single big production platform is in the multi-billion dollar cost range. If you look at oil company profits as a percent return on investment, they are strictly middle of the road in comparison to other industries. That is not to say people should feel sorry for us. But we shouldn’t be cast as villians either. If we were really the kings of profit, everybody would want our stock, and its value would go through the roof. That does not happen, proving that we are pretty much average in terms of percent profit return on dollars invested, which is the only meaningful way of looking at profit.
I understand the profit picture well....no one is calling for higher taxes on Apple, even though they make a far higher return on sales than the oil companies. I am a big fan of, and investor in, big oil companies...other than BP. Good consistent gains, and good consistent dividends...they have done very well over the long term. I have always said that if the oil companies are making so much money on high gas prices, then invest and share in that profit, rather than complain. This has served me well over the years. So by all means, consider me to be a part of the "we" that you mentioned above.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just avoid buying fuel at Costco or Sam's Club. I made that mistake once with my '05. Never again.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
Good gas. For years and years.
I remember the old man pumping Sunoco in the family Oldsmobile back in the 60's.. They had all these grades you could select from.. 260 sticks in my mind.. don't know what it equated to..

Quick Reply: Sunoco Gas..okay?