C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Navigation Up-Grade??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Hannibal2U
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Navigation Up-Grade??

I'm looking to install a Nav unit in my 05... What I can gather from the internet so far is a plug n' play (might have to be reprogramed by the dealer) however I'm finding a few different part numbers and I'm a little concerned because I don't want to wast the $$$.

The part numbers I see on eBay are 15292581, 15263014 and 152333090... not sure what they mean but I'm looking for a AM/FM/XM/NAV unit plus I think I need an additional antenna and the NAV CD/DVD with the mapping info...

Any suggestions would be grate...

Thanks
Boomer
Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Hannibal2U
I'm looking to install a Nav unit in my 05... What I can gather from the internet so far is a plug n' play (might have to be reprogramed by the dealer) however I'm finding a few different part numbers and I'm a little concerned because I don't want to wast the $$$.

The part numbers I see on eBay are 15292581, 15263014 and 152333090... not sure what they mean but I'm looking for a AM/FM/XM/NAV unit plus I think I need an additional antenna and the NAV CD/DVD with the mapping info...

Any suggestions would be grate...

Thanks
Boomer

We can set you up with as close to plug n play as possible on aftermarket

For 839.99 we can set you up with the Pioneer x930bt
radio
harness
metra dash kit
antenna adapter

we can prewire this all but 2 wires that would need to be connected
1- orange white wire from radio to gray wire on traction control.this is for the night time dimming to work correctly

1- if wanting the option of the bypass to allow for adjusting nav and (not recommended) watching movies while driving. I can perform the byapss. You would just need to make final crimp and connection which I can not do.

install is as simple as putting in a stock unit.

used factory NAV is prob going to run you around 600.00 or so on average
your into aftermarket for a little more but gaining many more features including DVD and BT plus th eipod features by adding the optional ipod cable.

We can also add a backup camera as well to this unit.

to add a backup camera to the stock unit you would need the lockpick which would add another 350.00 or so to the cost of the stock unit.

many options and we are there to help you with tech support on install as well.
call me if you want more info and I can help you out.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't install the base navigation unit. The cost of the disk is $199 for that you can get a stand alone Garmin that is user friendly and usable. I don't know anything about the aftermarket ones that fit in the dash but reading hear it sounds like the new units are a huge advance over the stock navigation.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Nav gets you from A to B. My OEM does that just fine. Even does via C, D...n if you like . If you have a HUD - it integrates with that as well. Aftermarket units do not.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

...and Google NAV is free!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Davelt1coupe2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and installed a kenwood 9980HD and rearview camera in my corvette. If you are going to install it yourself I would highly recommend DoubleMods - (the vendor who replied).

I had mine installed by a car stero shop and he (doublemods) helped me help them (the installer) to get mine to work correctly...the unit would reboot when using ONstar.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Davelt1coupe2010
I went and installed a kenwood 9980HD and rearview camera in my corvette. If you are going to install it yourself I would highly recommend DoubleMods - (the vendor who replied).

I had mine installed by a car stero shop and he (doublemods) helped me help them (the installer) to get mine to work correctly...the unit would reboot when using ONstar.

Thanks for the kinds words and again for your business
Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Kenwood and Dennis D are the way to go. Too bad GM cannot subcontract out to Kenwood/Garmin.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Kenwood and Dennis D are the way to go. Too bad GM cannot subcontract out to Kenwood/Garmin.

Thank You
PM Sent as well
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

If your '05 has the 1SB Preferred Equipment Group you can add the factory nav with a minimum of difficulty. If your car has either 1SX or 1SA equipment it would be a near impossibility. The 1SA & 1SX cars are wired using a entirely different interior wiring harness and their is no provision for the nav. Your car would also need to be equiped with OnStar as the factory nav's voice activation is controled using the OnStar system.

In any case, you would be much better served opting for a Kenwood or Pioneer system - many, many more features and much more current than the very dated factory system. I have a Kenwood DNX6960 with Garmin based nav, iPOD capability, bluetooth for my cell phone, Sirius satellite radio and a back-up camera purchased from Dennis at Double D Mods; all for less than the cost of a factory system. I have been delighted with it.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
If your '05 has the 1SB Preferred Equipment Group you can add the factory nav with a minimum of difficulty. If your car has either 1SX or 1SA equipment it would be a near impossibility. The 1SA & 1SX cars are wired using a entirely different interior wiring harness and their is no provision for the nav. Your car would also need to be equiped with OnStar as the factory nav's voice activation is controled using the OnStar system.

In any case, you would be much better served opting for a Kenwood or Pioneer system - many, many more features and much more current than the very dated factory system. I have a Kenwood DNX6960 with Garmin based nav, iPOD capability, bluetooth for my cell phone, Sirius satellite radio and a back-up camera purchased from Dennis at Double D Mods; all for less than the cost of a factory system. I have been delighted with it.

Who performed install of your system ? Any PIcs?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteright
That is incorrect. My '05 came with the factory nav but no On*Star or XM, and yet the voice commands work.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
That is incorrect. My '05 came with the factory nav but no On*Star or XM, and yet the voice commands work.
It works because your car was built at the factory with navigation. If the car was built with neither navigation nor OnStar, it would not have the microphone (located in the driver's side A pillar) necessary for voice command recognition.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It works because your car was built at the factory with navigation. If the car was built with neither navigation nor OnStar, it would not have the microphone (located in the driver's side A pillar) necessary for voice command recognition.
So all the OP would need to do is install a microphone - no need for On*Star.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Navigation Up-Grade??

Quick Reply: C6 Navigation Up-Grade??