C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 roof recall, seperating

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 11:36 AM
damagecontrol1
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 roof recall, seperating

Good morning. I am new to the forum as I have just purchased a 2005 C6 with 39k miles on it. I just became aware of a recall from 2010 for a roof panel replacement due to the panel possibly seperating and coming off the car which of course could be catastrophic on the highway to someone behind me. One of the symptoms are wind noises as if your window is cracked open and that is exactly what I have. I have an appointment with a local GM corvette dealer to have it looked at. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how it worked out. Of course, I just had the car completely prepped and ceramic coated before I found out about this. Is it possible to have a clear one installed instead of a replacement that is painted to match the car? Would GM do that? I am happy to hear of any experiences. Thank you
Old 07-25-2020, 11:41 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

had mine done back in 07....they replace the roof skin....they won't give you a different top

dunno if they even have the panels anymore they may just fix your existing one
Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM
damagecontrol1
6th Gear

Thank you. After having it all ceramic coated I would prefer it just be fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Here you go, and if you plug in your vin, should bring up the recall.

https://my.gm.com/recalls

Hence there was two recalls on the roofs. The first one was to re-glue it years back, and since that did not hold, a second recall as issued to just replace the roofs a few years back isntead.

My went through both recalls, and had my roof replace a few years back. So on that note, dealer just needs to order in a roof if your vin show the recall not completed yet, paint match it to your car, and once they have it painted, then drop your car off for the replacement. Also, double check for any other recalls that have not been completed yet, and this gives the time while waiting for and painting the roof, to get the other parts in and do all the recall work when you drop the car off for the roof. IIRQ, there was 3 recalls on my car the second time around for free, including the low beam jumper cable that had to be installed in the engine fuse box.

So really, recall page will tell you what has no been completed yet, and if roof is one of them, really don't need to take the car to the dealer yet. Just get the dealer on the phone to pull your Vin number, will see the list of items that need to be done so they can order in the parts, then they will give you call when they have the parts/new replacement roof is painted, so you can drop the car off for a day to allow them to knock out all the recall work one shot instead.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:34 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by damagecontrol1
Good morning. I am new to the forum as I have just purchased a 2005 C6 with 39k miles on it. I just became aware of a recall from 2010 for a roof panel replacement due to the panel possibly seperating and coming off the car which of course could be catastrophic on the highway to someone behind me. One of the symptoms are wind noises as if your window is cracked open and that is exactly what I have. I have an appointment with a local GM corvette dealer to have it looked at. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how it worked out. Of course, I just had the car completely prepped and ceramic coated before I found out about this. Is it possible to have a clear one installed instead of a replacement that is painted to match the car? Would GM do that? I am happy to hear of any experiences. Thank you
I would be interested to know your findings from the dealership. I also own 2005 Coupe, and in May, with nothing to do, took the car in for oil change, since they had no business and ran the car for recall, and it showed, none. Last one I had done was the headlight recall.

So I would be interested to see what yours shows.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:42 AM
damagecontrol1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dano523
Here you go, and if you plug in your vin, should bring up the recall.

https://my.gm.com/recalls

Hence there was two recalls on the roofs. The first one was to re-glue it years back, and since that did not hold, a second recall as issued to just replace the roofs a few years back isntead.

My went through both recalls, and had my roof replace a few years back. So on that note, dealer just needs to order in a roof if your vin show the recall not completed yet, paint match it to your car, and once they have it painted, then drop your car off for the replacement. Also, double check for any other recalls that have not been completed yet, and this gives the time while waiting for and painting the roof, to get the other parts in and do all the recall work when you drop the car off for the roof. IIRQ, there was 3 recalls on my car the second time around for free, including the low beam jumper cable that had to be installed in the engine fuse box.

So really, recall page will tell you what has no been completed yet, and if roof is one of them, really don't need to take the car to the dealer yet. Just get the dealer on the phone to pull your Vin number, will see the list of items that need to be done so they can order in the parts, then they will give you call when they have the parts/new replacement roof is painted, so you can drop the car off for a day to allow them to knock out all the recall work one shot instead.

Thanks for the reply. It is going in on Friday to be looked at and I will let you know what they say.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:35 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

No worries and just keep in mind that it will take a few weeks to get the new roof in, then a day or two to color paint match it the car and clear coat it, before they are ready to pull the old roof and hardware, to install the new roof on the car. Hence don't leave the car with them until the have the new roof in and painted, before you drop the car off for them for a day to do any recall work.

Also, when you are at the dealer, have them print you a GM service history report, and take a good look through it as well. There has been a few TSB on the car that are not recall work, and might want to have them do them as well. Hence if the car was an early 2005, then there was a TSB on the radio programming, that just uses update disc to update that firmware. Another was a TSC on the RCDLR, that solved problems with battery dieing. The latest TSB for the 2005 M6 car, is a BCM reflash, which takes the SCLM out of play all together.
Note, some off the TSB's are covered for free like RCDLR and radio firmware upgrades for know problems, while some of the other one will cost you money isntead.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:02 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you are at the dealership, don't think TSB are free!

Read below:

TSB's are sometimes confused with recalls, but they are not the same thing. ... While these service alerts are issued to dealers by the car companies, a TSB repair is usually only covered if your vehicle is still under a factory warranty. If your car is out of warranty, a dealer doesn't have to perform the fix for
free.

I would like to know what dealership says about your roof?
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:23 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

U.S. Air Force
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am and others are interested to just what dealership (Service) said about any recall for the repair on your roof.

With a 15 year old car only thing would be Safety Recall, so please lets us all know.

Save The Wave

Last edited by 1bdvet; 07-31-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 roof recall, seperating

Quick Reply: 2005 roof recall, seperating