C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 PM
ABNRGR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r12gs
Very sad, I've seen her around town and saw her at a gas station, at that intersection, earlier that afternoon.
Yes indeed, very sad.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Well, so much for the A-pillars helping out structurally AT ALL, think I'll be getting that roll-bar for my vert. Sheesh

Oh, and don't believe everything you read - one person's 100 mph is another's 25 mph. The jury is out so far, and prayers to the driver and anyone else that was injured. Very sad
Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
r12gs
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABNRGR
Yes indeed, very sad.
You are getting way too much joy out of this
Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Thrash
Well, so much for the A-pillars helping out structurally AT ALL, think I'll be getting that roll-bar for my vert. Sheesh

Oh, and don't believe everything you read - one person's 100 mph is another's 25 mph. The jury is out so far, and prayers to the driver and anyone else that was injured. Very sad
Don't want to argue BUT going 25 mph at impact is NOT going to tear another car in two.....
Old 07-17-2011, 11:28 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Obviously, DUI is bad and it was her fault, but the lack of compassion here for someone who's life is over for a single mistake is disturbing, and I ain't no liberal!
She chose the path, her victims didn't. No compassion from me. I just hope the hand she lost was her drinking hand.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash

there's a member here who is alive today because the a-pillars. he rolled his vert on a wet cloverleaf i believe it was. they stayed put. it wasn't high speed and it wasn't a collision.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by phatman
LOL, don't get me wrong. anyone DUI deserves to go to jail. Too many people die. Just looking at the circumstance. If she was not intoxicated, the Pontiac driver would probably be 70% of the blame. Insurance company's fight. Turning into on coming traffic is a moving violation. You must wait till traffic is clear. Think about it. How many of you have been driving down the road, not doing the speed limit and some idiot decides to turn in front of you, thinking they can make it, only to cause you to jam on breaks and swerve to avoid a collision. i've seen an intoxicated driver sitting at a red light and a SUV rear end the guy. He was just sitting there, but was charged with DUI. Sh..t happens. If he wasn't drunk, circumsatnces would be different.
The investigation will determine all the facts here, did the Pontiac have the green light for the turn, exactly how fast was the Vette going, which lane was each vehicle positioned in, etc. In cases like this, eye witness accounts are notoriously unreliable, so the Police will let the facts determine things. If the Vette driver was DUI and recovers, her troubles have just begun, this will be a long case in Court. Sad end to a new GS, but luckily nobody died in this accident, the irresponsible driving not withstanding.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 AM
ITSGRAND
Racer

Looks pretty clear that the Bonneville turned in front of a flying car to me. I wouldn't say that drinking had as much to do with it as speed and failure of the turning car to adequately judge the speed of oncoming traffic. Definitely not pro drinking/driving but in this case I would have like to have seen what really happened. I can't tell you how many times I've had to lock down because of left turners here in Atlanta doing this exact same thing and often times they are flying trying to catch their left turn arrow as I am approaching from a distance and let off of the brake and back on to the accelerator because me light has just turned green.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 AM
ABNRGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by r12gs
You are getting way too much joy out of this
Not at all. I deal with twisted bodies more often than most and see the ripple effect through so many layers of family, friends and at times my coworkers. There is no joy in that, trust me.

I only took such interest because it happened on a road we drive almost every day and both know very well. The reported speed is outrageous for that section of road. Until the investigation is completed and released we won't know the whole story. My intent was to share this with the forum as a vivid reminder of how quickly our Vettes can bite us if we make poor choices.

My characterization of the driver as a Dumb A$$ may be insensitive and came from my personal experiences (Frustrations) with many DUI/impaired related accidents that leave innocent victims and their families forever changed while the impaired person seems to survive relatively unscathed.

We live in the same town. I wouldn't mind sitting down and discussing this further. PM me if you're interested.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AGFNTB
She chose the path, her victims didn't. No compassion from me. I just hope the hand she lost was her drinking hand.
Wow, really bad Karma there, Mr. Perfect who's never done something dumb, and has never had his Vette over the speed limit.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if the Pontiac didn't have a arrow (which would mean the Corvette ran a red light), on a green light you look down the street and see headlights at a distance where you can complete the turn safely. In the middle of the turn the Corvette is hitting the you because it was not going 35, it was going 100.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
ArcticLS3
Pro

Originally Posted by bolivar
Even if the Pontiac didn't have a arrow (which would mean the Corvette ran a red light), on a green light you look down the street and see headlights at a distance where you can complete the turn safely. In the middle of the turn the Corvette is hitting the you because it was not going 35, it was going 100.
I was just about to say the same thing. I can't believe people would be placing blame on the driver making the turn. If the road is normally a 35 or a 50MPH zone (whatever it was) when you look down the road and see lights at what normally would be a safe distance to make a turn with those posted speeds I don't think any of us would hesitate to make that turn. Now when the car coming at you is going twice or three times the speed limit the closing time changes in a hurry and by then it is (and was) too late.

Sad story, but I am happy that the non-drunks were uninjured this time. Far too often it is the drunk that walks away while their victims aren't so lucky.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUSPECTED DUI

No accurate clocking of the speed. It could have been 65 - right?

Why does the vette still have it's front wheels and why are they in decent shape?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
DJ-LO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AGFNTB
IF you're DUI, I hope you never hurt anyone else. I can give a d@mn about what you do to yourself! It's a choice to get in a car drunk!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by choprfgr
SUSPECTED DUI

No accurate clocking of the speed. It could have been 65 - right?

Why does the vette still have it's front wheels and why are they in decent shape?
The vette went another 700 ft after cutting a car in half. 100 mph sounds about right. An exact speed will be known after reconstruction.

The wheels are not exactly on they way they were designed to be. The vette likely went up and over the other car, causing the Vette to flip on its roof. A lot of damage is on the bottom of the vette.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Dude, major head injury, she's done.
Amen!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Accident

Old 07-18-2011, 03:15 PM
ABNRGR
Instructor

Default Update

http://www.lodinews.com/news/article...cc4c002e0.html

The Corvette was driving faster than 100 mph at the time of the crash, police said.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Its still a suspected DUI and speed has not been proven.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM
0Mike@Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, that's a nasty scene.

Quick Reply: Vette Accident