C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental DWS tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Continental DWS tire question

Have seen lots of good comments on the Michelin Pilot Sports for replacement tires for a base C6 coupe. Only reading the info about the Continental I get the impression these tires have more give in the sidewalls so less handling response on dry pavement that others. Supposed to be quieter than others and longer tread life. If someone doesn't track their Vettes.... what about these tires?

Anyone try these?

Comments please. thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

I've heard good things about them, but I believe they are not run flats. I prefer RF's, but thats up to you. I have Bridgestone Potenza's and love them.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
I've heard good things about them, but I believe they are not run flats. I prefer RF's, but thats up to you. I have Bridgestone Potenza's and love them.
Just started looking...I think your are right about not being RF's.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Several here have posted about them. Here's a thread I saved for reference from last year. There are more if you look.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-comments.html
Old 07-17-2011, 08:52 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using Conti Extreme Contact DW (not the same as DWS) on my Shelby for around a year, and recently on my Z06 also. I bought them for ride, noise, and traction. I haven't been disappointed, but then, I can only compare them to the OEM tires.

Recently I put larger 18" Nitto NT05R on the rear of my Shelby and they hook up worlds better than the Contis on dry pavement. If we ever get any rain, I'll know about that, then. I don't expect them to be very good on wet streets.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I put a set of 245/35/17's on aftermarket wheels on my 06 CTS. They were pretty good tires; smooth, quiet, and much stiffer and better handling than the OEM Goodyears. They even did OK in about 4" of snow. And whoever said they don't think they are RF's is correct.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by RicK T
Several here have posted about them. Here's a thread I saved for reference from last year. There are more if you look.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-comments.html
thanks for the link... search engines don't always give a good result.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 AM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crystal Vette
Have seen lots of good comments on the Michelin Pilot Sports for replacement tires for a base C6 coupe. Only reading the info about the Continental I get the impression these tires have more give in the sidewalls so less handling response on dry pavement that others. Supposed to be quieter than others and longer tread life. If someone doesn't track their Vettes.... what about these tires?

Anyone try these?

Comments please. thanks.
Had them on my Audi TT 3.2 for about 7,000 miles. Probably the best tires I have driven on. Mileage warranty. good looking, smooth and quiet.
The ony criticism is you are right, the sidewalls give more in the turns.
You will definitely notice it. They will be my replacements.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put 4 of the all season DWS on a month ago.

If you need all-season you have two choices for the non wide body C6:
Michelin all season run flat or the Continental DWS.

In looking at the specs on TireRack, the DWS is considerably lighter than the Michelin.
I liked that idea, we know lighter unsprung weight should be magnified in performance, I
went with that thought, rather than the risk that the considerable lighter weight just meant it was flimsier.

It's beefed up with nylon in it's construction. Strong, but old school and cheap. There are a few comments out there that some, are experiencing slight flat spotting on cold mornings.

I had 20,000 on my stock base Goodyears at 4/32's left.

Even though it's warm out now, traction is strong. Where as the stock tires were able to spin on acceleration effortlessly, I really have to try to break these DWS's free.

And yes, they are much quieter and 50% smoother than stock Goodyears.

I keep reading stray comments on Discount and Tirerack regarding poor or wallow turn-in and sway.
Yeah, if you're comparing it to a race tire maybe. My occasional entrance, exit ramp banzi run... the Corvette feels planted, solid. I'm very happy with these tires so far.

I'm happy with the $1100 mounted price from the local chevy dealer. Just printout Discount's online qoute, they price match.

Last edited by level6; 07-18-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: price for tires was wrong
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

I have them on my DD which is an Acura TL, and on my son's G35 and I agree with level6...it's an overall great tire.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Thanks for the comments and found some other threads, too. Looks like a great tire.... Now.....just have to answer the debate between RFs and non-RF.

Don't have RF on any other car...... but no other car is a Vette. Vettes are really low and damage could be done with a flat on a non-RF. Drive mostly long distance so would love the quieter sound. These GY OEMs are terrible....did get 25,000 miles...but loud. Like the security of having RFs ........

Will decide on Michelin RF and these non-RF soon. No GYs....
Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Country of Origin: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP.... Rears made in USA....fronts made in>>> France???

Continental Extreme Contact DWS...fronts Mexico or Portugal, Rears..Czech Republic or Brazil....

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP..... Both made in the good 'ole USA....

I love the USA....this will definitely sway my decision towards the A/S Plus ZP Michelins ...on that alone. Plus they are run flats.

Hadn't looked at that information before. Have to try to support our buddies in manufacturing in the US.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Originally Posted by Crystal Vette

Anyone try these?

Comments please. thanks.
I put mine on a couple of months ago.
Pros: All Season (sigh, there's snow here)
VERY stable in high autobahn zoom speeds (140+)

Cons: Definitely more sidewall give than the Goodrich tires they replaced. The car is not noticeably more wobbly during hard tosses.

I wish they were stiffer, but I'm pleased overall.

Get notified of new replies

To Continental DWS tire question

Quick Reply: Continental DWS tire question