C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tires in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 AM
vettd
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires in the rain

I'm getting ready for a new set of tires (have nitto invo now) and am wondering what the best is for the rain... I live in florida and drive my vette 90 miles one way to work -- in the summer, we have afternoon downpours with a lot of standing water on some of the roads I travel.
My brother (a viper owner) says i will hate runflats for the noise (i bought used and have never owned runflats on this car)...
I haven't had the car on the track yet, hope to try it sometime, but that's not my main concern. any advice?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 AM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I am running michelin pilot sport all season runflats. I love them, noise no issue, handling great in dry or rain.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Default Tires

I, too, hate run-flats. I run Falkens now for two years (not a dd) and have had 0 issues. I don't really drive mine in the rain since my near-serious hydroplaning incident a few years ago. Vettes don't like puddles in any case. Width of the tires makes this car prone to hydroplaning. Btw, I've also had good performance from Kumho tires. They are a good value. I do not race.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by paganharley
I am running michelin pilot sport all season runflats. I love them, noise no issue, handling great in dry or rain.
+1 for the Pilot Sports. I LOVE these tires.

Paul
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Malco
Instructor

I bought my 2007 coupe used and it came with a set of Nitto Invos. So I never had run-flats either.
The Nittos have about 3000 on them and are in great shape, but I wanted run-flats, so I just bought a set of Michelin AS-ZP's. They are just as quiet as the Nittos. I have not used them in the rain yet, but I am sure they will handle fine. They are great on dry pavement.

Last edited by Malco; 07-23-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to drive in 5 hours of pouring rain two weeks ago on a trip. The Michelin PS A/S tires did very well. I would recommend!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 665 Likes on 483 Posts

The Michelin PS2 ZP (non-A/S) is excellent in rain, subject to the usual disclaimers about not attempting anything crazy. It doesn't take too much standing water to overwhelm any tire at speed.

I've had GY F1 Supercars, GY GS-D3s (the celebrated rain-meister tire) and PS2 ZPs on this car, and the Michelins are the best in _all_ conditions.

If I lived in Florida, I wouldn't put all-season tires on my Corvette.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,377 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by torquetube
Well, you shouldn't need the snow traction in Florida.
But the Michelin A/S would be a great tire even if they weren't A/S.

We have both the PS2 runflats and A/S runflats (two set of wheels). The PS2 have somewhat more grip during warm weather if you are cornering really had. That's their only advantage. The A/S are softer, quieter, grip better in temps below 50', and last longer. For most people, they are the better tire.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The Michelin PS2 ZP (non-A/S) is excellent in rain, subject to the usual disclaimers about not attempting anything crazy. It doesn't take too much standing water to overwhelm any tire at speed.

I've had GY F1 Supercars, GY GS-D3s (the celebrated rain-meister tire) and PS2 ZPs on this car, and the Michelins are the best in _all_ conditions.

The PS2 ZP's have excellent wet traction. These tires have constantly exceeded my expectations.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I changed the Goodyear F1 Supercar runflats (brutal for hydroplaning) to a set of Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 (Non runflats) and night and day difference for noise, and no hydroplaning, even on highways that puddle water. Highly recommend. I now have 12000 miles on these and still really good in the rain.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 07-23-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added pic of tire thread
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by vettd
I'm getting ready for a new set of tires (have nitto invo now) and am wondering what the best is for the rain... I live in florida and drive my vette 90 miles one way to work -- in the summer, we have afternoon downpours with a lot of standing water on some of the roads I travel.
My brother (a viper owner) says i will hate runflats for the noise (i bought used and have never owned runflats on this car)...
I haven't had the car on the track yet, hope to try it sometime, but that's not my main concern. any advice?
For what you want for everyday driving and especially in the rain, my vote goes to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP.
Yes, they may not have the dry grip of Summer Only tires.
But unless you plan on pushing the limits of dry tire grip on the street, most people will be hard pressed to notice a difference.
They are still High Performance tires and probably the most positive reviewed tire for "all around driving conditions".
They have excellent cold weather grip and a high milage rating.
Also, don't be afraid of the Run Flats.
Run Flats have come a long way in just the last few years.
And IMO, Michelins tires are quiet, ride great and stand up to the Michelin name.
In the end, You have to decide what you want ( 90 miles one way every day ) considering how you use the car and the way you drive.
You may want something else, but do a search and see what you find to see what suits your needs best.
Just my 2 cents
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm having a set of these put on my '08 this Thursday. Longer wear, less noise, still safety on the road for us women! I can't believe how many tire threads are out there right now.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 PM
a17mike
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14,’18

I'm running the Michelin Pilot all season runflats and they are much quieter than the Goodyear runflats they replaced.

Mike
Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Area Z51
I changed the Goodyear F1 Supercar runflats (brutal for hydroplaning) to a set of Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 (Non runflats) and night and day difference for noise, and no hydroplaning, even on highways that puddle water. Highly recommend. I now have 12000 miles on these and still really good in the rain.
have the same tires. had michelin pilots runflats and these are so much better. no noise. awesome in wet. drove through torential rainstorm last week for 50 miles on interstate. 70 mph no problems at all.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check with Luke @ Tirerack but I think the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 are one of the better rain tires, awesome dry traction, good wear and quiet.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

I agree with the many posts above regarding Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus Zero Pressure (runflat) tires. They are quiet, smooth riding, handle great and, unlike typical summer performance tires, are good at temperatures below 50 degrees F. and in wet conditions, plus they have a wear warranty of 45,000 miles along with the security of having run-flat capability. Don't take your brother's advise, he is laboring under obsolete beliefs about runflats, which incidently also outperform non-runflats regarding steering response because of their stiffer sidewalls.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:11 PM
jerryw
Cruising

Just got a set of Michellin Pilot Sport A/S tires to replace the original Goodyears. left the tire store in a driving rani the difference was dramatic to say the least. The Michellins had amazing grip, unlike the Goodyears, and are a lot quieter. They are also the concensus tire on the forum which is why I bought them. thanks to all forum writers.

Get notified of new replies

To tires in the rain

Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jerryw
Just got a set of Michellin Pilot Sport A/S tires to replace the original Goodyears. left the tire store in a driving rani the difference was dramatic to say the least. The Michellins had amazing grip, unlike the Goodyears, and are a lot quieter. They are also the concensus tire on the forum which is why I bought them. thanks to all forum writers.
Sounds like a good Poll Question!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:38 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Drive wisely understanding what 400 HP can do to a 3,200 pound Corvette.

I put Michelin A/S ZP on my C5 a few years ago. They are stable in the rain & Chicago snow, quiet, and ride smoother than the GY RF.

I have a set of Michelin A/S Plus ZP on order for my C6. I am fed up with the GYs after only 18,000 miles.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine performed perfectly on a long stormy road trip with tons of rain. You absolutely can't go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires.

Quick Reply: tires in the rain