C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock air box mod ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stock air box mod ideas...

ok all you modders,

i know this type of discussion has been had before, but i'm looking for a bottom line answer: is there any tried, true, and SAFE modification to the stock air box other than WASTING, (yes i said it), hundreds on useless aftermarket intake systems?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Honestly, none of the stock airboxes are as restrictive as folks make them out to be given the rest of the system. It is all part of a air in/exhaust out calculation and they are designed to balance.

If you are looking for something for the LS2, the only suggestion I would make is that you get rid of the OEM element if you do anything to open it up. They are paper and aren't designed for, nor do they do well with getting wet.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Cavallo GT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

IMO if you wanna keep the stock unit, if it's an LS3, cut off and cap the silencer and get a K&N replacement filter for it. Other threads show how to open the shroud for some cool air if you wanna go to the next step.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by talon90
Honestly, none of the stock airboxes are as restrictive as folks make them out to be given the rest of the system. It is all part of a air in/exhaust out calculation and they are designed to balance.

If you are looking for something for the LS2, the only suggestion I would make is that you get rid of the OEM element if you do anything to open it up. They are paper and aren't designed for, nor do they do well with getting wet.
The only really restrictive piece is the original filter element.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I see you have a 2009 so that leaves out having a LS2 air box. The LS3 air box is a very good design(also same basic design that is used in the Z06 and the ZR1). Your car also came from the factory with a Donaldson PowerCore filter element, that is the best available. It also is used on the 505 HP Z06 and the 638 HP ZR1. It's not starving your engine of any needed air.

What I did was to install a Vette-Air scoop with a home made flat diffuser plate to eliminate the problems with the incoming air screwing with the MAF. The flat difusser plate stops that problem and also will direct any water that might be scooped up, off to the side. The Vette-Air scoop is 2' X 19" and is located at the very top of the grille opening just behind the grille insert. You have to get down on yours knees to see it. It sits well above the bottom of the grille opening, out of harms way if you do accidentally hit some water. I've been through two heavy rains, with a lot of standing water with zero problems.

The purpose of the Vette-Air is not to increase horsepower, but to help you from losing any when it's hot outside. The scoop grabs cooler air from just behind the grille insert, and about 5" in front of the hot radiator, and feeds it into the air box compartment. That will help feed the coolest air possible to the engine to minimize the amount of timing being pulled due to hot intake air temps.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To stock air box mod ideas...

Quick Reply: stock air box mod ideas...