C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterless car washing.do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:08 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterless car washing.do you do it?

does waterless car washing work?scares me.........
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

I always wondered where the dirt goes. Almost seems like you just move it around with you cloth. Maybe someone from AutoGeek will come on an properly answer this question.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I'm not a big fan...

and I wouldn't recommend it for a dirty car.

Light dusting even wouldn't be my choice..

JMO and I'm sure others will disagree...

Once in awhile if the cars not dirty(just smudges from the kids fingerprints) I use meguires type spray mister to clean and even thats not my favorite way to go...
Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jack5hd
does waterless car washing work?scares me.........
I use a California duster, but only if there is only light dust on the car. It works well and AFA I can tell, it doesn't scratch. The duster is impregnated with paraffin or something similar. That's what attracts the dust. If that's what you mean by waterless car washing.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I use it. It's a better option than using detailer.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Default waterless car washing.do you do it?

to get the bugs off and when its just dusty I'll dust it then water-less wash it, sometimes, like in the winter months.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you actually mean a waterless wash?

Or do you mean a rinseless wash?

The best waterless wash I have used is Chemical Guys "Go Green". You spray it on very liberally and go through a TON of microfibers. If you don't you're scratching your car. I use about 5 microfibers to do my vette folded in quarters and flip to a new side at the first signs of dirt.

If you mean a rinseless wash like DP rinseless wash and gloss (what I use) or Optinum No Rinse then just wash with the standard two bucket method and dry each panel after you wash it. You can wash a very dirty car in this manner without inflicting any light scratches/swirls and saves a decent bit of time....can also be done in the garage fairly easily on cold days.

I highly recommend rinseless washes, but waterless washes are for very specific occurences of light dust/water spots and needs to be done properly or you'll inflict a lot of swirling/scratching.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I never wash my car. I use detail spray and microfiber cloth every time I drive it. And it never sees rain. I would wash it if I drove in rain or hit some mud. But the will never happen. Lol
Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The newer rinseless and waterless products are designed with lubricants to avoid marring and ingredients to help loosen and disolve dirt quickly. The difference in products is the need for a bucket of water (rinseless) versus premixed and ready to wipe spray. These products offer a much greater margin of protection over quick detailers which only should be used on very light dust or spot cleaning. Rinseless/Waterless washes can handle much more and still offer a mar free finish when done properly.

I personally find the Ultima product the best, Optimums No Rinse and our DP Rinseless wash very close in design also. Best part you can make your own spray with them as needed and even your own clay lube. Best part they offer glossing agents like detail sprays too. In water restriction areas and for fast cleaning these are indeed a great option.

In order to get the best results, even with a rinseless wash, consider two buckets as possible. One clean water and one with wash. Consider a grit gard to keep any loose soil at bottom of the bucket. I premix some in spray bottle to spritz grimy areas and rims to allow the ingredients to get started. I then take a clean MF towel and dunk in rinse. Then I wipe the finish in slow straight lines. You then rinse the towel in clean water, and then back to the wash. Most of the time the water softners and other ingredients even avoid the need for drying if your towel is moist and not drenched when wiping the finish.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

switched to this method during water restrictions, great results, less mess and it's fast.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:37 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

No substitute IMO for a good old fashion water wash for a soiled DD car. I occasionally use detail spray for a light job but never for a heavy soiling.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
No substitute IMO for a good old fashion water wash for a soiled DD car. I occasionally use detail spray for a light job but never for a heavy soiling.
You've never used a rinseless wash, have you?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I used a waterless wash on my SUV it was quite dirty. The results were outstanding, paint looked great, nice shine, no swirls or any other issues that I could see. I have not used it on my Vette and even though it seems to work well I do not intend to use it on the Vette. Better safe than sorry as they say.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Do you actually mean a waterless wash?

Or do you mean a rinseless wash?

The best waterless wash I have used is Chemical Guys "Go Green". You spray it on very liberally and go through a TON of microfibers. If you don't you're scratching your car. I use about 5 microfibers to do my vette folded in quarters and flip to a new side at the first signs of dirt.

If you mean a rinseless wash like DP rinseless wash and gloss (what I use) or Optinum No Rinse then just wash with the standard two bucket method and dry each panel after you wash it. You can wash a very dirty car in this manner without inflicting any light scratches/swirls and saves a decent bit of time....can also be done in the garage fairly easily on cold days.

I highly recommend rinseless washes, but waterless washes are for very specific occurences of light dust/water spots and needs to be done properly or you'll inflict a lot of swirling/scratching.
+1 on DP Rinseless
Old 09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If the car is simply "dirty" with dust and rain spots, etc., I use Griot's Spray Car Wash. Works great, and if I am really lazy and still want a fabulous shine, I use their spray wax. Wonderful stuff.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
bankr
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a waterless wash / wax spray on that I found a couple years ago at Bloomington Gold. IBIZ. Good stuff and think their is an endorsement by a corvette association on the back of the bottle as well. Good shine and eliminates the use of water. www.ibiz-inc.com.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never

Get notified of new replies

To waterless car washing.do you do it?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:23 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Me? Never!

That being said, I have a friend who washed his car one time, after the drive home in a downpour from the Museum delivery. That was a year ago.

And lets not overlook waterless urinals. Not sure how they work, but they do.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not here.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I use it. It's a better option than using detailer.

I have used this stuff before and like it.

http://fw1shine.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=1
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: waterless car washing.do you do it?