C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Due to the expense of GS size tires I had them check my alignment. Toe in was way out on both sides, camber/caster also. I would probably have not noticed anything wrong until about 5-7k miles. GM then may or may not replace the tires.

I think Paul mentioned the factory is going to actually align the C6 now before it leaves the factory. That is an interesting concept.
That's the problem with believing the factory alignment "isn't broke". By the time you discover it is "broke", it's to late to save the expensive tires.

$90 for an alignment at 500 miles or $2000 to replace a set of prematurely worn out tires.....I wonder which is the "wise" choice?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Toe is more of a culprit in premature tire wear than camber is. My Z and a bunch of others I know about tend to wear the outside of the rear tires even though the rear camber is at -1 or more (spec calls for a couple of tenths of a degree more than the front camber). At 3K miles I corded a set of EMTs on the outside while having over 4/32 of tread on the inside. You need to have almost 0 toe in at the rear to get even wear on the rear tires. This works well on the street but not so well on the track where that little toe in causes issues when driving off a corner.

Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a candidate for the Obama jobs program, if he can find enough illegals to shovel asphalt into the holes
Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought an 09 Z51 just over a month ago and the fronts are almost toast at 11,000 miles and the wear pattern is really odd. I am going to get it aligned next week at a very good shop to try to get what I can out of them. I do some track days and my research on here says -1.3 to -1.5 camber front and -1.0 to -1.2 camber rear and 0 toe. Any thoughts, also thinking Bridgestone RE 11 when I replace tires.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
7-11vette
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by george l
i recently took delivery of a 2011 grand sport convertable (5000) miles ago.i noticed some serious tire wear on my front tires. Decided to get an alignment. Right side was within specs. Drivers side was not. I went back to the delivering dealer to compalin about the excessive tire wear and they agreed. Replaced both front tires under warrenty. I urge everyone that shortly after taking delivery to get an alignment done.
i too just recently purchased a 6 speed 2011 grandsport and was told by a friend that the front end alignment on the grandsports were set more aggressively for road racing. I am trying to find out if this is true. Have
you heard of anything like this?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
judson whitley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front tires 2010 grand sport wore out 10000 miles i switch to michelim and front end alignment hopefully this was the problem corvette tech did say something likes tires align at factory for performance so he said he change that at least michelim's have a 20000 mile warranty goodyear 0 warranty another person on forum told me about alignment
Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
By "out of alignment"; do you mean not set to zero? You do know that a little negative camber can improve responsiveness; turn in faster. Yes, you will have slightly more tire wear than usual, but you will enjoy the drive more.........trust me!

BTW! What specs did they quote you?
Not zero, as in degrees but in the middle of the very broad span.

For example the front camber on the Z06 (FE4) the GM spec is -0.5 to -1.5 degree, so the middle of the spec is -0.1 degree.

One side could be reading -0.5 and the other side -1.5. That is a lot of difference from the right side to the left side, but within the mfgr's spec. A lazy tech would tell you it's within spec and send you on your way. A good tech, would do his best to get both sides equal and close to -01 as possible. I had my front camber set at -0.9 on both sides on the front.

PFADt Engineering says the front camber should be -0.7 to -0.9 for a Performance Street. I elected to go on the high side(-0.9) as I have a Z06 and wanted to maintain some corning performance, yet get tire mileage. From the factory, my front camber was set at -1.1 on both sides, really very good.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill hit the nail on the head here, it's generally toe that kills tires. The factory alignment specs are pretty broad and a good alignment tech is definitely worth his weight in gold. There can definitely be a wide range of alignments set from the factory because of the really wide "acceptable" zone on these cars.

Here is a link to our alignment specifications. The Performance Street setting will provide good tire wear without sacrificing the handling that you purchased your Corvette for. These alignment specifications should be easily achievable by a good alignment tech with all of the stock components. If you're having your alignment set by a dealership remember to ask for a print out after it's been on the rack so you can compare with what the specifications should be.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Another Illinoisan here. My new 2011 GS needed an alignment off the bat, plus replacement of a tire out of round.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM
hihoSilver
Racer

my GS was puling to the right at 300 miles. Had it aligned. It was way out. After a week, it was pulling to the right again. Gonna have to take it in again.

Also....just in case my dealer cant get it right.....any suggestions on alignment shops in the ft worth arlington tx area will be helpfull. Im using Vandergriff Chevrolet right now in Arlington.

Last edited by hihoSilver; 11-21-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
oneowner6901
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To make a long story short, use a shop that has the Hunter "Road Force Balancer" and the Hunter alignment rack. Use the PFADT performance street specs.

My steering wheel pulled to the left and then the right after two alignments at a Chevy dealer. Also had some shake. After a two hour wheel balance and alignment job, the car handles like a dream-straight down the road. The rr tire had to be rotated on the wheel due to being out of round. Should have done it sooner!!

I watched the car be built and watched them align the suspension at the plant and they don't give it a lot of time.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 PM
hihoSilver
Racer

Originally Posted by oneowner6901
To make a long story short, use a shop that has the Hunter "Road Force Balancer" and the Hunter alignment rack. Use the PFADT performance street specs.

My steering wheel pulled to the left and then the right after two alignments at a Chevy dealer. Also had some shake. After a two hour wheel balance and alignment job, the car handles like a dream-straight down the road. The rr tire had to be rotated on the wheel due to being out of round. Should have done it sooner!!

I watched the car be built and watched them align the suspension at the plant and they don't give it a lot of time.

how much is a 4 wheel alignment at shops that would have the "road force" balancer and Hunter alignment rack? Just a approx cost? I dont track my car, so I want the longest tire life as possible but want it to drive straight with out pulling to the left like it is now
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

To draw out a long story. I prefer my camber close to -0.1 exactly. That has given me the best mileage on my tires. The -.45 that came on the car ate my fronts on the inside edge. I have 25K on my current set and they are doing fine.

Elmer
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hihoSilver
how much is a 4 wheel alignment at shops that would have the "road force" balancer and Hunter alignment rack? Just a approx cost? I dont track my car, so I want the longest tire life as possible but want it to drive straight with out pulling to the left like it is now
I paid $89.95 for a 4 wheel alignment, with the alignment set to the exact specs I wanted, not the broad factory specs.

Quick Reply: Front End Alignment