C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passport 9500ci C6 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Passport 9500ci C6 install

Hopefully the mods will give me a break and let this thread stay in this section. The tech area does not get as much coverage and I need some opinions fairly quickly.

I'm having a Passport 9500ci installed in my GS next week and I wanted to get some opinions on component locations from those who have experience.

First, I need to decide if I want to install the 2 front laser jammers using the 3m tape to avoid screw holes or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and have the brackets installed? I read where the balance/level of the jammers needs to be as perfect as possible. Taping them directly to the car will not allow them to be adjusted for perfect balance. The article said that even a small variance of only 2% can severely degrade performance.

Second, I'm leaning toward installing the control and display modules inside the ashtray. It's a great place to put them and allows you to totally hide them by simply closing the ashtray lid. My concern is visibility. Anyone go with this option and have a hard time viewing/reading the display and wish they installed it above the review mirror or somewhere else more prominent?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Tim
First, I need to decide if I want to install the 2 front laser jammers using the 3m tape to avoid screw holes or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and have the brackets installed?
If you're planning to attach the jammer heads to the top of the grille opening, you'll not only need the brackets but you'll need some angled shims, as well. This is because the top surface of the grille opening is not level, but angled downward slightly, forming a subtle beak-like shape. Hold a level against the top surface and you'll see what I mean.

I found some composite shims at Home Depot that work nicely:

I read where the balance/level of the jammers needs to be as perfect as possible. Taping them directly to the car will not allow them to be adjusted for perfect balance. The article said that even a small variance of only 2% can severely degrade performance.
That is absolutely correct. That's why I went to the extra trouble of buying the shims; they bring the heads almost perfectly level.

Second, I'm leaning toward installing the control and display modules inside the ashtray. It's a great place to put them and allows you to totally hide them by simply closing the ashtray lid. My concern is visibility. Anyone go with this option and have a hard time viewing/reading the display and wish they installed it above the review mirror or somewhere else more prominent?
I have my control module inside the ash tray, along with an auxiliary mute button in my center console. That way I can keep the ash tray door closed unless I need to change the settings. I don't use the display module at all; the display appears on my HUD. That way there's nothing visible inside the car for thieves (or the po-po) to see.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
If you're planning to attach the jammer heads to the top of the grille opening, you'll not only need the brackets but you'll need some angled shims, as well. This is because the top surface of the grille opening is not level, but angled downward slightly, forming a subtle beak-like shape. Hold a level against the top surface and you'll see what I mean.

I found some composite shims at Home Depot that work nicely:

That is absolutely correct. That's why I went to the extra trouble of buying the shims; they bring the heads almost perfectly level.

I have my control module inside the ash tray, along with an auxiliary mute button in my center console. That way I can keep the ash tray door closed unless I need to change the settings. I don't use the display module at all; the display appears on my HUD. That way there's nothing visible inside the car for thieves (or the po-po) to see.

This is the first I heard that the display can be tied to the HUD screen. I'll talk to my installer about it tomorrow, but in case he has not heard of this can you describe what is involved? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:37 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZR4 shifter heads must be 100% perfect for you to have any chance!! They are by far one of the weaker jammers on the market. I finally pulled them off the Vette and only use the Laser Interceptor (LI).

The rear shifter head is 100% worthless on a Vette, if you get a rear laser hit, pull over and wait for your ticket.

I mounted my control module right in front of the center console on the carbon fiber where it's readily accessible. The ZR4's are hard to kill by tapping the mute button twice. You will never be able to do it quickly and safely during an encounter with it in the ashtray.

Please use this technology responsibly and use the Jam, Slow and Kill the jammers method. Jamming a LEO all the way to the gun (JTG) will only attract attention to yourself and could land you in hot water. While it may not be illegal in your state there have been instances where the driver got an Interfering with an Officer in the Performance of his Duties arrest. While it typically gets dismissed or reduced you still end up spending thousands on legal fees.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
SimpleC6
Racer

Just FYI, laser jammer laws are tightening up drastically soon, with a great kick from TX making it a class C misdemeanor 2 weeks ago. A class C is pretty harsh, and it will only spread through the country soon enough. Say thanks to the dumbasses that post JTG videos all over youtube and open discussion on public forums about laser jammers.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 AM
DadzC6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my control module inside the ash tray, along with an auxiliary mute button in my center console. That way I can keep the ash tray door closed unless I need to change the settings. I don't use the display module at all; the display appears on my HUD. That way there's nothing visible inside the car for thieves (or the po-po) to see.[/QUOTE]

Is there a harness or kit needed to make the display show up in the HUD?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SimpleC6
Just FYI, laser jammer laws are tightening up drastically soon, with a great kick from TX making it a class C misdemeanor 2 weeks ago. A class C is pretty harsh, and it will only spread through the country soon enough. Say thanks to the dumbasses that post JTG videos all over youtube and open discussion on public forums about laser jammers.
I believe a speeding ticket in Texas is a class C misdemeanor also. Class C is punishable by a fine only and the least serious of offenses.

If used properly 99.9% of LEO's will never know they have been jammed. LEO's believe Corvettes are hard to clock anyway and if it's a dark colored Vette it's hard to get a lidar lock even without jammers, depending on the lidar gun used.

Low power guns like the Laser Atlanta, Prolite and Truspeeds have a harder time with dark colored cars versus high power guns like the Stalker, Prolaser 3 and Ultralytes.

But yes all the JTG videos have drawn unwanted attention and now some will pay the price. There is also a new product getting ready to hit the market that will make it easier to hide this equipment. It uses fiber optics to route the incoming and out going infrared signals so that heads do not need to be mounted where they are visible.

This will also for very stealth installs with only a point the size of an eraser needing to be visible. This can be concealed very easily such as in the bot head of the license plate bracket, inside the headlight, or even within a panel gap.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DadzC6
Is there a harness or kit needed to make the display show up in the HUD?
There is, but I'm not sure how much I can say about it since the guy that makes them is not a Supporting Vendor.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM
DadzC6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

There is, but I'm not sure how much I can say about it since the guy that makes them is not a Supporting Vendor.
Can you PM me the info?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
fred96ws6
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Hopefully the mods will give me a break and let this thread stay in this section. The tech area does not get as much coverage and I need some opinions fairly quickly.

I'm having a Passport 9500ci installed in my GS next week and I wanted to get some opinions on component locations from those who have experience.

First, I need to decide if I want to install the 2 front laser jammers using the 3m tape to avoid screw holes or should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and have the brackets installed? I read where the balance/level of the jammers needs to be as perfect as possible. Taping them directly to the car will not allow them to be adjusted for perfect balance. The article said that even a small variance of only 2% can severely degrade performance.

Here's where I have my ZR4's mounted. I used 3M tape and had no trouble getting mine level to the ground. I'm in the process of removing them now since as of 9/1/11 they are illegal in TX. They have saved me several times.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:02 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DadzC6
Can you PM me the info?
Please PM me info too
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
DashTronix
Racer

Location: Display your V1 radar detector on your HUD or DIC! www.DashTronix.com

The DashTronix Radar projector is now available to display the 9500ci on the DIC and HUD.

Full replication of the 9500ci display on the DIC and HUD is now possible.

Check out our thread with info and videos.

New DashTronix Radar Projector! Display your 9500ci radar detector on the DIC or HUD!

If you need any info, let us know.

Team DashTronix

Last edited by DashTronix; 10-17-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Passport 9500ci C6 install

Quick Reply: Passport 9500ci C6 install