C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Smell & The Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fuel Smell & The Stealership

So after replacing the gas cap with an OEM one, I'm still getting a smell of gas in the garage from the fuel door and the rear wheel well area. Took the liners off and looked around but couldn't find anything concrete, so I had to suck it up and take it to the stealership this morning.

They said they could smell it too and would try to figure out what the issue is and get back with me. I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a worn hose with pinhole leaks in it, or something equally easy to fix because I really don't feel like paying out the nose to replace something crazy like a fuel tank.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

No warranty? Maybe it will be emissions related as that may still be covered...Good luck!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I am in the same boat. When I filled it up the smell came back.
Have not decided which dealer to take it to. Not sure who has the best vette mechanic. I am leaning towards Classic Chevy but it is a long drive from my house. Guess I could get a rental.

Let us know what the find out. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Damnit Damnit Damnit. They found a leak coming from the top of the fuel tank on the driver's side, but weren't sure yet whether it was the tank itself, the gasket, or a hose. They are doing a bit more detective work before they give me a quote, but said they would more than likely have to drop the exhaust and the transmission in order to drop the tanks to get to the area that needs fixing.

I have an 08 A6, but I thought you could go behind the wheels to do this work without having to drop all those other parts first.

How bad is my pocketbook going to take a beating? I'm pissed at my used car dealer (again) because when I bought the car they told me the factory warranty would expire in October of 2011 (didn't have their facts straight or lied to me), but the dealer records show that the warranty expired in July of 2010.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
Damnit Damnit Damnit. They found a leak coming from the top of the fuel tank on the driver's side, but weren't sure yet whether it was the tank itself, the gasket, or a hose. They are doing a bit more detective work before they give me a quote, but said they would more than likely have to drop the exhaust and the transmission in order to drop the tanks to get to the area that needs fixing.

I have an 08 A6, but I thought you could go behind the wheels to do this work without having to drop all those other parts first.

How bad is my pocketbook going to take a beating? I'm pissed at my used car dealer (again) because when I bought the car they told me the factory warranty would expire in October of 2011 (didn't have their facts straight or lied to me), but the dealer records show that the warranty expired in July of 2010.
I think GM allows 8 hours for tank removal and reinstall so I do not think you are going to like the quote...
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Wow, a used car salesman lied to a customer? Whoodathunkit?
Seriously, sorry for your problem. It could happen to me.

Removing and replacing the tanks is big bucks all by itself, plus whatever extra work needs to be done. But do check into that emissions warranty issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by cthusker
I think GM allows 8 hours for tank removal and reinstall so I do not think you are going to like the quote...
I bet not, and probably at a rate of 100-150 an hour I would imagine at that.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Chalk it up.

Gas fumes are very flamable; You caught this early.

I always look at worse case; if it was a fireball, ins, company would give u depreciated value which is worse hit. They will make it brand new and u will only smell "new plastic/rubber smell" like factory fresh. Keep that invoice and when you sell, new owner will know its rock solid.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Chalk it up.

Gas fumes are very flamable; You caught this early.

I always look at worse case; if it was a fireball, ins, company would give u depreciated value which is worse hit. They will make it brand new and u will only smell "new plastic/rubber smell" like factory fresh. Keep that invoice and when you sell, new owner will know its rock solid.
True. A fireball on a car I've had for 3 months is definitely not something I want. They quoted me $1200 for the removal and reinstall of the tanks, not counting any additional parts or labor they may need depending on what exactly it is they find. They told me they would have a solution for me later this afternoon once they have it down and take a good look.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Dennis08
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going through this now. My car is the same as yours and has the same problem. It has been a nightmare dealing with the service writer at the dealership. The cost of the tank is $960.00 they are charging me 11.1 hours at $105.00 an hour plus tax (does not matter if the mechanic does it faster the dealer charges what the book says, as I'm told by the Service Manager). There is a small separation of caulking where the fuel pump sits in the tank that caused my leak. I feel this is a defect, but I'm the only one who does according to the dealer. GM did pay for the parts, that started out at $1400.00 and has been reduced to $960.00 (Tank only) seems service writer was adding things that I didn't need, but I'm still paying the $1100.00 plus tax. I will post more on this when I get the car back this week. My bumper to bumper warranty had expired by 10 days when I noticed the leak, that is why GM is paying for parts only.

Laura, the Customer Service Rep. that is on the Forum is Great! She did assist me with the problem...It's a shame she is not working at the dealerships too............
Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with the earlier comment to force it as a warrantiable emissions item (evaporative issue).

what is your mileage?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis08
I'm going through this now. My car is the same as yours and has the same problem. It has been a nightmare dealing with the service writer at the dealership. The cost of the tank is $960.00 they are charging me 11.1 hours at $105.00 an hour plus tax (does not matter if the mechanic does it faster the dealer charges what the book says, as I'm told by the Service Manager). There is a small separation of caulking where the fuel pump sits in the tank that caused my leak. I feel this is a defect, but I'm the only one who does according to the dealer. GM did pay for the parts, that started out at $1400.00 and has been reduced to $960.00 (Tank only) seems service writer was adding things that I didn't need, but I'm still paying the $1100.00 plus tax. I will post more on this when I get the car back this week. My bumper to bumper warranty had expired by 10 days when I noticed the leak, that is why GM is paying for parts only.

Laura, the Customer Service Rep. that is on the Forum is Great! She did assist me with the problem...It's a shame she is not working at the dealerships too............

Yeah, after this venture, I've decided that I'm NEVER buying a used car again. It cost me about 5k worth of engine parts and labor to get everything fixed on the front end, and I'd wager this will cost me upwards of 2k this time around and I've only owned the car since July. It's been royally dissappointing to say the least.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by mike100
I agree with the earlier comment to force it as a warrantiable emissions item (evaporative issue).

what is your mileage?
Car was originally purchased by original owner in July of 2007, making it just over 4 years old. Mileage right now is about 34,500.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

I bet not, and probably at a rate of 100-150 an hour I would imagine at that.
Was in my dealer in Freeport recently, dealer sign said $110 an hour for labor BUT $125 an hour for Corvettes......
Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Yup...same problem I had. I would push for trying to get it fixed under emissions warranty as fuel vapors are emission related. Worse case get them to pick up some of the labor. I had an independent do mine on jack stands only dropping the exhaust in 1 hour on my M6 Z.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
Yup...same problem I had. I would push for trying to get it fixed under emissions warranty as fuel vapors are emission related. Worse case get them to pick up some of the labor. I had an independent do mine on jack stands only dropping the exhaust in 1 hour on my M6 Z.
M6s have more room than an A6 unfortunately, so the quick turnaround prob isnt an option for me. I'll push the emissions warranty to see.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Cromagnum – I’m sorry to hear about all of the issues you’ve experienced. Did you purchase your Corvette at a GM dealership?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Smell & The Stealership

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not looking good for me, as my bumper to bumper is over.

Laura could this be covered under emissions warranty?

Need to take mine in to dealer in the morning.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Cromagnum – I’m sorry to hear about all of the issues you’ve experienced. Did you purchase your Corvette at a GM dealership?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Laura,
No, I purchased my car at a used car dealership that is in Webster, TX near where I live. I do have a question though as I've done some literature studying since earlier today. It looks like GM offers an extended warranty schedule on some of the emissions related parts (mentioned on p.22 of the 2008 Corvette Warranty Manual). It then goes on to list various parts that fall under the "Emission Limited Warranty" and also the "Emission Select Component Ltd Warranty". I haven't received full details from Norman Frede Chevrolet in Webster yet about my car, but the leak is related to the fuel tank which DOES fall under that select component list according to my literature. Do you think there is a chance that this could be covered for me, and if so, what should I tell the service manager there?

Thank you!
-Jeff
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

GM just covered my girlfriend's 2007 Denali fuel pump replacement 100% on her 5year-100k warranty, I think...It may have been an emissions issue...I will check and see.

Last edited by boraxman; 09-29-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Smell & The Stealership