C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla S-Type II or SLP Loudmouth II axleback for 2011 C6 automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 473 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Borla S-Type II or SLP Loudmouth II axleback for 2011 C6 automatic?

I am on my 7th C6 and I know buying exhaust systems for them can be hit or miss.

I had B&B Bullets on my 2005 automatic and the drone was terrible.
On that same car I had Magnaflows and they were too quiet.

On my 2006 manual and 2007 automatic I had Corsa Sports and they sounded nice, but a bit too quiet.

On my 2006 manual I had Borla Stingers and they were amazing, but I don't know how they would be on the automatic.

My Z06 had stock NPP and so did my 2008 automatic.

My 2011 is an automatic and does not have NPP = very quiet.

I thought about going with the old style Borla Stingers, but worry about drone.
Borla has recently come out with the new Stingers and they swear there is no drone.
That comes at a steep price however.

I can take a chance and go for the SLP Loudmouth IIs (not the 1s and I know they will be LOUD!!!).

The SLPs are $500 less, and I would appreciate having the savings, but not at the expense of a mistake.

So,

What would you guys/gals do?

Spend $500 more and go pretty much for a sure thing or take a shot on the SLPs???

Any real world experience will be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
yell03
Safety Car

I spoke to a rep at SLP today.
He was very honest and said that with the automatic I will get some drone with their system or any system with a decent amount of volume.

He did says the Loudmouth I will be a lot worse than the Loudmouth IIs.

This really leaves me thinking the Borla S-type IIs are the best option.

The older S-Type I was amazing on my 2006 manual tranny.
I could even give them a shot, but these new S-type IIs are supposed to be even better.

I just hate spending $1200+ for mufflers, but if it makes me smile it is probably worth it.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the SLP loudmouth II's are loud, mine sit behind a fully built motor, AH headers (catless) and are nice and deep but the drone will rattle your fillings loose. I still think they sound the best so that's why they are staying for now.

John
Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jthurik
the SLP loudmouth II's are loud, mine sit behind a fully built motor, AH headers (catless) and are nice and deep but the drone will rattle your fillings loose. I still think they sound the best so that's why they are staying for now.

John
John,

I am sure running Headers and no cats it must be LOUD.
I was wondering how it would be with cats and stock manifolds?

I still think the Borlas will be best, but $1200 is steep.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Gotta pay to play man, dont even ask me how much I paid for my Corsas. My advice, with you living in PA, and the winter fast approaching.. is to sit back and watch the used market. You probably wont be driving the car much anyways and hopefully you can pickup the Borlas or Corsa Xtreme (you said the Sports were too quiet) for about $700-800 used.

That way you end up with the best of both worlds.. the exhaust you want, at the price you want. And when spring comes that car will be sounding sweet!!!

Last edited by Daekwan06; 10-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Gotta pay to play man, dont even ask me how much I paid for my Corsas. My advice, with you living in PA, and the winter fast approaching.. is to sit back and watch the used market. You probably wont be driving the car much anyways and hopefully you can pickup the Borlas or Corsa Xtreme (you said the Sports were too quiet) for about $700-800 used.

That way you end up with the best of both worlds.. the exhaust you want, at the price you want. And when spring comes that car will be sounding sweet!!!
Good advice, I have been watching the used market already.
$500 more won't break me, but it just kills me to spend that for mufflers
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM
djklassik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not adding value to your question but i have one for you;

With your personal knowledge of all these exhausts, what was your opinion of how NPP sounded from a drone perspective relative to the other exhausts; I have NPP on 08 auto with m2w always open, looking for tad bit more sound
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djklassik
I'm not adding value to your question but i have one for you;

With your personal knowledge of all these exhausts, what was your opinion of how NPP sounded from a drone perspective relative to the other exhausts; I have NPP on 08 auto with m2w always open, looking for tad bit more sound
I am always glad to answer a question and help out.

The NPP always open on my Z06 was horrible at cruise as far as drone was concerned. It sounded OK for driving around, but not at a steady highway cruise.
It was not overly loud, but the 3" exhaust droned terribly at cruising speeds.

The NPP always open on my 2008 C6 LS3 automatic sounded much better at cruise and had a better tone for regular driving, the 2.5" pipes made more of a gurgly muscle car sound where the 3" Z06 exhaust was more of a hum with no gurgle.

The 2008 NPP on the C6 LS3 really did not bother me much on the highway. The Z06 was rough.

B&B Bullets on my 2005 automatic were horrible at any speed.

Corsa Sports were quiet, but no drone.
Magnaflows were quiet with some drone.
Borla Stingers on my manual tranny C6 were loud, but no drone.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Odered the Borla S-Type IIs
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
cstapp99
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
Odered the Borla S-Type IIs
Where did you find the best deal, and would you mind sharing the part number you ordered?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cstapp99
Where did you find the best deal, and would you mind sharing the part number you ordered?
Forum Vendor Maryland Speed had the best price at 1214.95 on Borla Part #11811

However, I sent them an e-mail last night asking them a question and they never responded, so I had another vendor match and beat their price by $1 this afternoon, but I have a 1 year price guarantee on that price.
If within a year I find a lower price they will refund me the difference.

If you want that vendor PM me.

Never received a response by Maryland Speed???
I really wanted to support a Forum vendor.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Forum Vendor Maryland Speed had the best price at 1214.95 on Borla Part #11811

However, I sent them an e-mail last night asking them a question and they never responded, so I had another vendor match and beat their price by $1 this afternoon, but I have a 1 year price guarantee on that price.
If within a year I find a lower price they will refund me the difference.

If you want that vendor PM me.

Never received a response by Maryland Speed???
I really wanted to support a Forum vendor.
I'd just give them a call they might be bussy. I was calling around for some Kooks headers for my Z06 the other day and gave them a buzz. They came in around $500 cheaper than I could get them local and about $250 cheaper than others on here. Were really nice on the phone, they took the time to set up an account on their web site for me, e-mailed confirmation of my order, e-mailed when it shipped with tracking info etc. etc. Was probably my best purchasing experience from any of supporting vendors on here so far so definitely worth giving them a call.

If you do not mind me asking what were your thoughts about the Corsa Sport system versus the NPP set up open and closed? Thinking about possibly changing the cat back system but concerned about getting a little annoyed by the sound volume on long drives with headers so not sure if changing from the NPP set up is a good move.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Werks
I'd just give them a call they might be bussy. I was calling around for some Kooks headers for my Z06 the other day and gave them a buzz. They came in around $500 cheaper than I could get them local and about $250 cheaper than others on here. Were really nice on the phone, they took the time to set up an account on their web site for me, e-mailed confirmation of my order, e-mailed when it shipped with tracking info etc. etc. Was probably my best purchasing experience from any of supporting vendors on here so far so definitely worth giving them a call.

If you do not mind me asking what were your thoughts about the Corsa Sport system versus the NPP set up open and closed? Thinking about possibly changing the cat back system but concerned about getting a little annoyed by the sound volume on long drives with headers so not sure if changing from the NPP set up is a good move.
They do not have a way to reach them by phone anymore.

As for the Corsa Sports, I've had them on two cars.
On my stock C6 they were too quiet, but on my C6 with Long Tube Headers they sounded great.
On a stock car I would rather have open NPP, on a car with headers I would rather have Corsa Sports.
With headers the Corsa Sports are not overly loud, but sounded really nice.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Congrats on pulling the trigger. I have the SLP LMIIs and too sit behind an LS2 w/ full ARH exhaust w/high flow cats... Sounds friggin awesome, but like one said the drone it will rattle the plastic in the cabin...
So I just pulled the trigger on Corsa Extremes, hope I get the same wow factor
Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Congrats on pulling the trigger. I have the SLP LMIIs and too sit behind an LS2 w/ full ARH exhaust w/high flow cats... Sounds friggin awesome, but like one said the drone it will rattle the plastic in the cabin...
So I just pulled the trigger on Corsa Extremes, hope I get the same wow factor
Did you ever have the SLP LMIIs before the headers???

I know the Corsa Sports sound nice with headers, hopefully the Extremes do also.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:56 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Did you ever have the SLP LMIIs before the headers???

I know the Corsa Sports sound nice with headers, hopefully the Extremes do also.
No, I got them after the headers (had Flowmasters before). I hope so too
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 PM
lgC6
4th Gear

Default Borla S-type II on C6

I just saw your note/request.
My new S-Type II cat-back exhaust was just installed on Monday. I was facing the same dilemma you're facing and wasn't sure what to go with. I was caught between this and the Touring. My fear was that one would be too loud and the other not different enough to warrant the high price.
I went with the S-Type II's. They have a great rumble at idle, and they are very soft at highway in 6th, but between idle and highway, "they talk"! It's not overpowering but there's no mistaking them. In the short time I can't say I should have gone with the Touring instead, but I think I understand what I couldn't have known before getting these - if you're not a kid and you don't want too much attention, the Touring could be just right. I think the S-Type II's are much like that too, just a notch more. If you want something more robust, say 1/4 - 1/2 again, they might be perfect. You'll probably love the slight garble you get when letting off the throttle, especially around town. It's great!
Summary: I think these are more than a little louder than stock at everything except cruise at highway. Everything in-between lets you know this is a performance machine, and they make the stock seem very quiet. I think you may only realize the Touring as a performance exhaust, during throttle. You can hear these all the time, and when you walk throughout the gears, shifting around 3,000.. well I think they're loud. That's the time I almost wish I'd gotten the Touring. Maybe the Touring would only be at throttle and not noticeable the rest of the time. If you want almost exactly stock sound levels all the time except at throttle, the Touring is probably just what you want. With either system, I think the tone is very nice! Also, There Is No Drone.. Period!
Hope this helps.
Lg

Last edited by lgC6; 05-09-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
lgC6
4th Gear

P.S.- I realize this discussion may be over but anyone looking might still find the info and experience valuable. Best regards..
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lgC6
I just saw your note/request.
My new S-Type II cat-back exhaust was just installed on Monday. I was facing the same dilemma you're facing and wasn't sure what to go with. I was caught between this and the Touring. My fear was that one would be too loud and the other not different enough to warrant the high price.
I went with the S-Type II's. They have a great rumble at idle, and they are very soft at highway in 6th, but between idle and highway, "they talk"! It's not overpowering but there's no mistaking them. In the short time I can't say I should have gone with the Touring instead, but I think I understand what I couldn't have known before getting these - if you're not a kid and you don't want too much attention, the Touring could be just right. I think the S-Type II's are much like that too, just a notch more. If you want something more robust, say 1/4 - 1/2 again, they might be perfect. You'll probably love the slight garble you get when letting off the throttle, especially around town. It's great!
Summary: I think these are more than a little louder than stock at everything except cruise at highway. Everything in-between lets you know this is a performance machine, and they make the stock seem very quiet. I think you may only realize the Touring as a performance exhaust, during throttle. You can hear these all the time, and when you walk throughout the gears, shifting around 3,000.. well I think they're loud. That's the time I almost wish I'd gotten the Touring. Maybe the Touring would only be at throttle and not noticeable the rest of the time. If you want almost exactly stock sound levels all the time except at throttle, the Touring is probably just what you want. With either system, I think the tone is very nice! Also, There Is No Drone.. Period!
Hope this helps.
Lg
Very good summary of the S-Type IIs.
On the highway NO DRONE, just a slight purr.
Around town LOUDER than stock, but not obnoxious, you know you are in a performance car, but you can still speak with your passenger or listen to the radio at normal volume.

Sounds great when shifting or paddling through the gears, great on downshifts, nice burble.

Unfortunately I had to sell my Vette last night as I am trying to qualify for a mortgage on a Shore property, that $800 payment was hurting.

I do think the Borla S-Type IIs are the best C6 Exhaust followed by the original S-Types.

Take it from a guy who has tried B&B Bullets, Corsa Sports, Magnaflows, Borla S-Types and S-Type IIs.

Hope to be back in a Vette soon!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Borla S-Type II or SLP Loudmouth II axleback for 2011 C6 automatic?

Quick Reply: Borla S-Type II or SLP Loudmouth II axleback for 2011 C6 automatic?