C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 and Competitive Driving Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default A6 and Competitive Driving Mode Question

I have a 2011 GS with A6 transmission. I typically drive with the transmission in S and use a combination of the paddles and auto (i.e. paddle in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, maybe 4th....then hold the plus and let the auto trans take back over for cruising).

Last night I was enjoying my back road (the "long way") twisty ride home from work and I started experimenting with Competitive Driving mode. My understanding of Competitive Driving mode (mostly gained from reading posts here) was that it was Traction Control off and a lighter version of Active Handling.

What I noticed was that the paddle shifting seemed to be a little faster (crisper?) than typical paddle shifting in S. The difference seemed more pronounced on downshifts, but it definitely felt faster on upshifts too. Now I know that paddle shifting in S is definitely quicker than D.....but does it get even quicker in Competitive Driving mode?

From the manual (yes, I RTFM first):

"Competitive Driving Mode,
Performance Traction Management,
and Launch Control are systems
designed to allow increased
performance while accelerating and/
or cornering. This is accomplished
by regulating and optimizing the
engine, brakes, and suspension
performance."

Also from the manual:

"Competitive Driving Mode allows
full engine power while the Active
Handling System helps maintain
directional control of the vehicle by
selective brake application. In this
mode, TCS is off and Launch
Control is available. Adjust your
driving style to account for the
available engine power."

After reading these two statements, I've got a few questions I thought I'd ask to see if there's some collective wisdom to help me understand the car better:

Do the paddle shifters shift differently (i.e. a faster response) in Competitive Driving mode than in just S with the "nannies" on?

Is there more engine power available in Competitive Driving mode? Or is it just a matter of the power will not be limited when the tires break away? Or, maybe there's a different throttle response curve in Competitive Driving mode that alters driver perception of the performance? What exactly is optimized as far as engine, brakes and suspension (does it change the F55 a bit too?)?

Could it be that a difference in engine power or response makes the paddle shifters feel crisper (i.e. more power or different throttle curve is just altering my perception of the paddles performance)?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

As far as I know the paddle shift should be the same. Might just be the illusion of faster shifting.

There is no extra power from the motor, just less nannies working.

BTW the paddles do not work in D.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Davelt1coupe2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=wayback;1578871700]As far as I know the paddle shift should be the same. Might just be the illusion of faster shifting.

BTW the paddles do not work in D.[/QUOT

I believe with 2011 and later you can shift in D - when you do, after X seconds pure auto mode kicks in.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

It may be that it adjusts the torque management so the shifts "feel" quicker but really aren't.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

[QUOTE=Davelt1coupe2010;1578871790]
Originally Posted by wayback
As far as I know the paddle shift should be the same. Might just be the illusion of faster shifting.

BTW the paddles do not work in D.[/QUOT

I believe with 2011 and later you can shift in D - when you do, after X seconds pure auto mode kicks in.
Hmm interesting....not in my 07, only in S do the paddles work. Seems you could accidentally hit it when you did not want to.....

Learn something new everyday here.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just the opposite happens in C mode.

Throttle response is retarded in C mode.

C mode is for the track at WOT.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paddles on my 2011 A6 do work in reg. drive mode, and yes I have bumped the downshift paddle while making a fast turn. Atleast it rev matches the motor to the gear it's going into befor it downshifts.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
legbuh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time someone mentions using paddles in D someone has to reply with "that doesn't work"... and again it's explained yes it does on newer models. lol!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

I'll confirm....at least on a 2011 GS A6 (my only point of reference), the paddles work in D and S, the differences being: In D the shifts feel "softer" and the transmission will switch back to automatic after a few seconds (maybe 10?). In S, the paddles once used for the first time become the controller for shifts....although, if you hold down one of the + buttons for a few seconds (maybe 2?) the automatic transmission will take back over on the shifting duties.

As I said in the original post, I typically use the paddles during acceleration and deceleration (cornering, etc.), but will usually hold the + for a few seconds once I'm up at cruise speed and let the automatic take over again.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
Just the opposite happens in C mode.

Throttle response is retarded in C mode.

C mode is for the track at WOT.

From what I have seen elsewhere, this is true. The reduced throttle response is designed to help you stay out of the TC that is non-active. But full power is available when you floor it.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Again, it's been shared that Competitive Driving mode is just "less nannies". But the manual clearly says:

"Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering. This is accomplished by regulating and optimizing the engine, brakes, and suspension performance."

That statement doesn't sound like it's just removing "nannies." It sounds to me like there's some sort of difference in the performance envelope.

I'm trying to drill down to the details. What exactly do they mean when they say: "optimizing the engine, brakes, and suspension performance"? I guess Launch Control on a manual transmission car might fit the "optimizing the engine" part of that statement.

I know I'm being a bit picky with the question, but I'm really just trying to understand the details of these systems.

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 10-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 and Competitive Driving Mode Question

Quick Reply: A6 and Competitive Driving Mode Question