C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set parking brake properly....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Can't somebody post the pages from the GM service manuals and get it over with.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I've always left my manual cars in first gear, just a habit I guess. But no, the engine in our C6s will not be damaged by being cranked in reverse rotation. The crank and pistons don't care. The only difference would be that air would be sucked in from the exhaust and pushed out the intake. Without the engine running, this won't hurt a thing.

For what it's worth, some engines can be damaged from being cranked in reverse rotation. The BMW M5 V10 has a variable camshaft timing system (vanos) that does get damaged if the engine is cranked the wrong way by hand. The instructors at my M5 training class made sure to emphasize this to us. As far as I know, this is not a common scenario with other engine types.

In the end, put your C6 manual transmission in first or reverse when parked. It will be fine either way.

Originally Posted by golferdude
This makes perfect sense. However will forcing a 4 stroke to turn in the opposite of the "run" direction cause any undue stress or harm to the engine? Out of fear of causing engine damage by turning it in the wrong direction I would always park in reverse if facing up a steep incline and 1st if facing down a steep incline. Should reverse always be the gear of choice regardless?

Quick Reply: Set parking brake properly....