C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 clicking in dash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 AM
C3&C6vettes
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 clicking in dash?

recently purchased a used 05 coupe, and noticed the other day when I used the turn signals, or after depressing brkae, there was a clicking in the dash to follow, and on another occasion, the clicking in the dash was for no reason, just an on off . Sounds like a selenoid click or something ? I purchased at a non chevy dealer and dropped it off last night, looking for diagnosis in the event they cant help?? Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C3&C6vettes
recently purchased a used 05 coupe, and noticed the other day when I used the turn signals, or after depressing brkae, there was a clicking in the dash to follow, and on another occasion, the clicking in the dash was for no reason, just an on off . Sounds like a selenoid click or something ? I purchased at a non chevy dealer and dropped it off last night, looking for diagnosis in the event they cant help?? Thanks
Normal if it's the same noise you hear after you press the start/stop button
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Default clicking

C3&C6vettes,
You mentioned you purchased your vehicle from a non Chevy dealership. Is that the dealership you took it into to be checked out at?

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
C3&C6vettes
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mpwr
Normal if it's the same noise you hear after you press the start/stop button
But it is making the noise any time while driving and using the signal or applying the brake. And asI said, it was randomly making the noise the other day while driving??
Old 10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
C3&C6vettes
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
C3&C6vettes,
You mentioned you purchased your vehicle from a non Chevy dealership. Is that the dealership you took it into to be checked out at?

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Yes, since Its still covered , only had it 2 weeks.
Of course they said they will see what they can do .."But we arent a Chevy Dealer"...thats why i wanted to see if any one has had the same problem to give them some advise if need be.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 08 has done that a few times in the past year. I wear hearing aids so it hard for me to find it. Each time I turned the radio down/off to hear it, it seemed to get rid of it. Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 10-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure you are hearing electronic relays. Completely normal.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
TonyC6Go
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2009 and now 2012 GS does the same thing. What you are hearing is coming from the passenger side behind the floor board, and it is a solinoid (?) clicking. I brought my 2009 into my local chevy dealer and they replaced it with another one that did the same thing. Suggested maybe more insulation would quiet the sound. The clicking happens when you press the brake.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

You are hearing the brake light relay. I want to go in and put some type of sound deadener on my relay thingee ...
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 69 Posts

I only hear it when the car is running and the transmission is in Park. Once I put it in any gear, it goes away.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had the problem on my 08 and it was the brake relay. Here is a thread I started back then.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-brakes.html
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by NJLS708
I am pretty sure you are hearing electronic relays. Completely normal.
Electronic relays have no moving parts (also called solid-state relays)

Most relays are electro-mechanical and that's what in a Vette.

(ok ok, yea.. I'm being picky )
Old 10-13-2011, 12:44 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the brake relay is a normal sound only when you hit the brakes and it comes from under the passenger side floor board. the op clearly stated that it was coming from the dash when he used the turn signals. i'm astonished that no one else knows what this is. for me it was a broken hatch release button at the rear of the car (the exterior switch near the license plate). once that was replaced the relay clicking was resolved. even the dealer was stumped. i figured it out myself. i have replaced that switch twice now. its about 10 dollars and apparently a poor design because it gets wet and fails. try here....
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
lemgomez
Advanced

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
the brake relay is a normal sound only when you hit the brakes and it comes from under the passenger side floor board. the op clearly stated that it was coming from the dash when he used the turn signals. i'm astonished that no one else knows what this is. for me it was a broken hatch release button at the rear of the car (the exterior switch near the license plate). once that was replaced the relay clicking was resolved. even the dealer was stumped. i figured it out myself. i have replaced that switch twice now. its about 10 dollars and apparently a poor design because it gets wet and fails. try here....
I know this is a hella old thread but this is what ive been searching for for WEEKS, the clicking is not the 2008 wrong relay click, the 2005's were not part of that wrong relay crowd, and my wifes vette clicks like this, and I know for a fact the rear hatch button is broken so you saying that replacing that fixed the clicking for you makes me FREAKIN HAPPY and I will move the broken rear button to the top of my list.

Now i gotta hit up the search function again and find out how to take the assembly apart to replace it. This sound is freaking annoying when ever I ride in her vette, although she tunes it out now.

Last edited by lemgomez; 09-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

You know I know we are not supposed to be a-holes and reply with "You should have done a search" and so on, but this is probably the most talked about subject on any forum anywhere. This is one of those facepalm moments where I believe that we should actually free up the ones and zeros and remove the search button. Maybe we can substitute it for a **** button. It would finally get used then. Otherwise, its a waste.

Last edited by C6RaceCar; 09-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM
lemgomez
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
You know I know we are not supposed to be a-holes and reply with "You should have done a search" and so on, but this is probably the most talked about subject on any forum anywhere. This is one of those facepalm moments where I believe that we should actually free up the ones and zeros and remove the search button. Maybe we can substitute it for a **** button. It would finally get used then. Otherwise, its a waste.
Well, usually all I would find when I would take some time here and there to search all I would find was people talking about the clicking caused by the brake light relay that was in the TSP, I honestly have not seen any other reference to a dead rear hatch button causing clicking when pressing the brake pedal or turning on a turn signal. Maybe I am just retarded when it comes to using the search function, although I will admit I started out on the wrong track trying to look up things related to the Key fob sensors since its the same clicking sound from a similar if not same location as the key fob antenna relays which switch around to look for the fobs.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM
HI YO 07
Heel & Toe

When my 07 A6 is in Park, engine running, and I press the brake pedal I hear a click which I believe is a solenoid unlocking the shifter mechanism. If I rest my hand on the shifter and just touch the release trigger I can feel it unlock simultaneous with the click. Seems completely normal to me, but others may not have experienced it with their C6's.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To C6 clicking in dash?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
lemgomez
Advanced

The clicking I am referring to is random, while driving, could be sitting at a stop light with foot on brake and "click click click click" about 10 times in a row, or could be driving down the hwy at 80 and tap the brakes to turn off cruise control and click click click click click again, much more annoying than what most people refer to when they talk about clicking in the dash area.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar

if you read this post or you did a search on his particular problem you would realize that the typical brake relay which is beat to death is not his issue here. in his defense the search function on this forum turns up more crap than anything else. google provides better search results linked to this forum than the actual forum search function. go figure. when i had this issue all that turned up in the search was what everyone else thinks is a normal brake relay click.

Originally Posted by HI YO 07
When my 07 A6 is in Park, engine running, and I press the brake pedal I hear a click which I believe is a solenoid unlocking the shifter mechanism. If I rest my hand on the shifter and just touch the release trigger I can feel it unlock simultaneous with the click. Seems completely normal to me, but others may not have experienced it with their C6's.

Tom
again... NOT IT. i wish everyone would stop saying it's the brake relay. everyone talks about every other click in the world except the one the post is currently referring to. i searched for weeks to no avail so i feel your pain, gomez. im amazed that no one else seems to have a clue about the clicking related to the rear hatch button being broken. anyway, i will put money on it that that is your problem. in fact i will personally pay for the ten dollar switch if it doesn't fix it. it is held in with a plastic retention clip and very straight forward if you look closely. you may even be able to clean it out. try that first:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1570084813
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM
lemgomez
Advanced

It will be a couple weeks until I am home and can mess with it but a new switch will be waiting for me when I get there lol, already ordered it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: C6 clicking in dash?