C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 shifting - strange or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkakirby

Use those paddles like you stole it!
Dont be an old fart, use the fregin paddles.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
appadv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
Dont be an old fart, use the fregin paddles.
No difference, there is the same hesitation upon downshifts with the paddles. Looks like this is normal.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM
FNwoz
Advanced

My 08 does this as well. Really bothered me for awhile as I felt it could cause some damage if I really got on it. I brought it to a reputable dealer in the area and they claimed they couldn't replicate the issue. I especially notice it when the car is cold. I generally check the trans temp and make sure it is in the low 100's before I start driving a bit more aggressive. Does seem to be a problem GM has had for years. I had a 78 Buick Regal that would do the exact same thing. Glad to hear a Chuck Cow tune can eliminate the issue. As soon as my warranty is up, I will be contacting him to get this trans tune.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM
appadv
Advanced

Yes, it's a good idea to make sure your transmission temp on the DIC is within 100' to 210'.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Well SAID!

Originally Posted by ilsaair
My 2008 did exactly the same thing. Drove me crazy for almost 20,000 miles and then I had Chuck CoW tune my car.

AMAZING difference in shifting under all conditions. In addition the engine pulls like it has another 100 hp.

I should have done this a long time ago.
Well SAID!

Forget about the warranty nonsense.... Get an AutoCal and ENJOY your car!

It's NEVER a problem....Especially with me!
Chuck CoW
Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM
appadv
Advanced

The car is completely stock.

Would a transmission tune void the warranty?
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Oh my god!!!! You didn't ask me that!?!?!?!?

Originally Posted by appadv
The car is completely stock.

Would a transmission tune void the warranty?

OH MY GOD!!!! YOU DIDN'T ASK ME THAT!?!?!?!?

WHAT ABOUT MY WARRANTY!!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?

Here's the deal... If you have a TUNE IN THE CAR WHEN IT GOES TO THE

DEALER
FOR A MAJOR POWERTRAIN FAILURE, it WILL EFFECT your WARRANTY

eligibility.

The simple (AND PROVEN) fact here is that you're NEVER gonna have a failure with

a TUNE, SUPERCHARGER, or otherwise if a COMPETENT TUNER tunes your car.

If you DON'T HAVE A FAILURE....AND YOU HAVE A GOD TUNE....

YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR WARRANTY!

ENJOY THE DAMN THING!

CALL ME FOR A GOOD QUALITY TUNE!

CHUCK CoW

Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM
appadv
Advanced

Never mind
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Try something a little different .. From about 20mph, get on the throttle about 2/3 to the floor. Accelerate to about 60 and then let completely off the gas .. After about 2 seconds, push back down on the throttle only about 1/3 of the way.

The car will feel like it's in neutral for awhile ... slipping like crazy

I just hope this problem isn't so bad after getting a Chuck CoW trans tune.
An old thread, but I had printed out this post and finally got around to trying it this week.

I performed the manueuver 10 times- 5 times with the selector in D, and 5 times with the selector in S.

Twice, there was a hesitation when I got back on the gas- it seemed like the transmission was just finishing an upshift and took a second to understand what was needed and then do the downshift. On those two occasions, the throttle had a dead feel for a second or so. But there was never any slipping or reving like in neutral.

Possibilities:

1. Our 2009 A6 is programmed differently from your 2011.
2. Our 2009 A6 is defective.
3. Your 2011 A6 is defective.
4. Despite my best efforts, I am doing the maneuver slightly differently from you.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
johnebgoode
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No 2 ways about it, the A6 needs help from the factory. I tuned mine myself with HP Tuners , conservatively, yet enough where it is noticed while driving under light conditions. Night and day. Find a reputable tuner and have it done. It's worth it...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
appadv
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
An old thread, but I had printed out this post and finally got around to trying it this week.

I performed the manueuver 10 times- 5 times with the selector in D, and 5 times with the selector in S.

Twice, there was a hesitation when I got back on the gas- it seemed like the transmission was just finishing an upshift and took a second to understand what was needed and then do the downshift. On those two occasions, the throttle had a dead feel for a second or so. But there was never any slipping or reving like in neutral.

Possibilities:

4. Despite my best efforts, I am doing the maneuver slightly differently from you.

It only happens when driving gently and at low speeds. The engine revs up like in neutral and then it finds a gear. If you accelerate quickly, such as entering a highway onramp at 1800-2000 RPM, there is no problem.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

My 07 does the samething. I am going to have Chuck CoW tune mine at Carlisle this coming year.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibilities:

1st the Torque management sucks, 2010 and Up A6's are a different transmission meaning the value body system is different. First torque management can pull timing to shift the car. I have gutted my GS and stated over but have a Rossler built A6 and added 30% TM to be safe. At a few points it was pulling 15 degrees of timing so I just removed it. At those times I thought my motor or tranny were gone so the felling is probably normal.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 did the same thing as APPADV describes. When slowing down the downshifting between gears was not smooth. It would rev up then drop, rev up, drop, etc. Made for a very jerky ride.

There's a link on here somewhere (I thought I bookmarked it but apparently not ) listing any software upgrades per your VIN.

Anyway, mine showed there was, transmission related, so I took it to my local dealer, told them my concern, and had them double check for any software upgrades. There was. They reprogrammed my tranny and it's awesome now.

Best way to describe it is - when you're slowing down it's like you tossed it in neutral. If I step on the gas, from whatever speed, the RPMs jump up accordingly and you go like stinky the cat.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Transmission skips during low speed coasting with no gas, sometimes!

I also get some unusual shifting at slow low speeds with no gas. It was discovered at one point that my transmission was over filled and had bubbles in the fluid and we let some out with some bubbles remaining so not to over drain. The car has had only ONE shift bad since then. The trans has a vertical drain plug in the bottom of the trans pan with a vertical tube inside cut off top at the full level. Therefore the trans drains to the top of the threaded pipe, you need to put car in different gears before draining - needs to be on a rack and run in different gears. Even though there is a overflow plug on right side of the trans, it did not release extra fluid. It seemed to be snapped in placed and more like a relief PLUG. You will most likely need to have a dealer check in your presence to make sure they do it right and do the right plug bolt.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
appadv
Advanced

Originally Posted by electric_yogurt
My 06 did the same thing as APPADV describes. When slowing down the downshifting between gears was not smooth. It would rev up then drop, rev up, drop, etc. Made for a very jerky ride.

Best way to describe it is - when you're slowing down it's like you tossed it in neutral. If I step on the gas, from whatever speed, the RPMs jump up accordingly and you go like stinky the cat.
Exactly! This is the best description I've seen so far and you said it better than I could.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Possibilities:

Originally Posted by appadv
It only happens when driving gently and at low speeds. The engine revs up like in neutral and then it finds a gear. If you accelerate quickly, such as entering a highway onramp at 1800-2000 RPM, there is no problem.
That is a different problem from what Turbo6TA described, and what I was trying to duplicate.

I'll try to duplicate your situation on my car, but it's supposed to snow tonight; when the salt hits the roads I park the 'vette until we make our dash to Florida. So far, we've got 39k miles on th car and I haven't experienced you situation yet, but I'll post my results when I can.

EDIT:
About 1/2" of snow last night, and another 1/2" of salt now on the roads.
I'll try to remember this test when in Florida, but it's gonna be a while.

These A6 discussions seem somewhat like F55 disussions- one guy will claim he can't tell the difference between Tour and Sport, the next guy will say that Tour is too soft and Sport is too stiff. But I'll report what I find about the shifting issue.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 12-09-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 shifting - strange or normal?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You know ... The 6L80 automatic transmission in the 2010-2012 cars is really a strong transmission.

The problem is that ..

1. It shifts weak to the point that you can't feel every shift during normal diving.

2. It "hunts" continually for gears during normal driving (you just don't know what gear it's ever in) .. unless you use the paddles.

3. It tends to always be in a higher gear than what is needed for any situation.

4. Shifts even at WOT tend to be weak and not real 'positive'

But ... there is a fix ... Chuck CoW

EDIT: Oh ya .. he can get rid of some of that infamous "Torque Management" crap too!

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 12-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 GMX245
Take a look at this, may or may not apply,

Subject: Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics)

Models: 2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV
2006-2009 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V
2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2006-2011 Chevrolet Corvette
2007-2011 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
Equipped With a Gasoline Engine and Automatic Transmission

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a sag or hesitation when accelerating under the following

conditions:

When coasting with a closed throttle and then aggressively applying the throttle. Examples of this maneuver include a rolling stop or a lane change maneuver. In this type of maneuver, even though the accelerator is applied aggressively, the throttle blade is opened slowly for up to 0.7 seconds to help minimize driveline lash and clunking.

Also in a 6L80 or 6L90 (RPOs MYC or MYD) equipped vehicle when making a hard, complete stop with a closed throttle, immediately followed by an aggressive throttle opening the transmission downshifts may not be completed by the time the throttle is opened. As a result approximately 0.5 seconds of zero torque may be commanded to allow the shift to first gear to occur.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Both of the above conditions are a result of Torque Management and both of these conditions should be considered normal and no repairs should be attempted. Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
THIS IS WHAT I WAS GOING TO POST......had the shop fix it on the 09
the 2012 has 0 lag..............
Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
You know ... The 6L80 automatic transmission in the 2010-2012 cars is really a strong transmission.

The problem is that ..

1. It shifts weak to the point that you can't feel every shift during normal diving.

2. It "hunts" continually for gears during normal driving (you just don't know what gear it's ever in) .. unless you use the paddles.

3. It tends to always be in a higher gear than what is needed for any situation.

4. Shifts even at WOT tend to be weak and not real 'positive'

But ... there is a fix ... Chuck CoW

EDIT: Oh ya .. he can get rid of some of that infamous "Torque Management" crap too!

2011 with A6.

1. True when you are driving at normal traffic speeds. Disagree when hard on the gas. The shifts, IMO, are firm and quick for this type of transmission.

2. My transmission rarely, if ever, hunts. If I give it enough gas so that it needs to shift, it will hold that lower gear for a second or so after easing on the throttle. If the throttle is not increased or cornering forces are low, it'll upshift. When hustling around a corner, it holds the lower gear.

3. Yup, for fuel economy.

4. The shifts are torque managed so there isn't unnecessary shock to the drivetrain during upshifts. While having no torque management may be and feel cool in a straight line, if you drive this on a road course (kind of like the car is designed for) and get an unmanaged upshift as you are cornering, the shock will unsettle the car.

Quick Reply: A6 shifting - strange or normal?